Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Shopping for fabric lines

Shopping for fabric lines

My addictive juices have really been flowing over the fabric lines which have been flooding the market, especially Reproduction lines from the early 1900's. Some of my favorite are the Blue Hill lines of FeedsackIII and Toybox. You can get a look at the lines on the manufacturers websites but then to find stores close to home that ACTUALLY carry a full line is something else. You usually don't have trouble with Moda lines because they are so popular. I have found a few sights on line which carry some but not all. Any suggestions out there from Quilting Board members what your experiences have been?

Quilt stores almost never carry a whole line of everything. It's kind of a bummer. But I do think it depends where you live. Some will carry a whole line in one color way though. I have better luck finding whole lines online. Evenif I have to shop from several different vendors.

crafttown fabrics.com specializes in carrying full lines, or collections, I think it says that on their web site also.

I work at a quilt shop in a little cottage (it's adorable!) We have limited space for bolts of fabric, which is why we don't usually carry full lines...there are just too many of them! Some lines have 40 (!!) different fabrics! When we have carried full lines, we invariably are "stuck" with a few bolts that, for whatever reason, don't sell. My boss knows what her customers like and places her orders based on that info.
    Cindy

Curator of an 1889 Singer model 27 Fiddlebase Treadle, a 1951 Singer Centennial Featherweight, a 1956 Singer 401A, and a 1982 Bernina 830 Record.

Hancock of Paducah carries some full lines.
    Wayne & Gabriele, the married quilters.

I tend to buy from lines online, Connecting Threads is a good spot for this. Fabric.com sometimes, but they often only have the dribs and drabs that didn't sell from any particular line.
    1951 Singer 301A - "Jean"
    1958 Singer Featherweight - "Verna"
    2009 Janome 4100QDC - Nameless

It's just plain not profitable to stock an entire line of fabric. It'd be like stocking every flavor of Campbell's Soup in a neighborhood grocery store. No appeal, no room, no profit.

Connecting Threads does it because they're the only retailer for their own fabric lines. If they didn't stock it, it wouldn't be available anywhere else.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

I too am a fan of Blue Hill fabrics. Nice quality at not top of the scale prices. I will be watching this for which on line reatilers carry extensive inventory of this manufacture. Quilt in a day had alot but their inventory is sporatic , same with Thousands of Bolts for this manufacture , understanding that they mostly carry over runs.

Blog Entries
    I love the Feedsack line of fabrics too! When ever I find it reasonable, I will buy a yard or two. But is seems like the very few quilt stores left near me seldom have any of it. I don't mind buying it online but sometimes the shipping costs prohibits me from buying any.
    Sherri

You can always use the fabric search engines to find lines or manufacturers (or colors or styles for that matter). I got a total of 138 results for Blue Hill Toybox, though a few shops are duplicated on more than one site.
    http://www.quiltshops.com/index.html
    http://webstore.quiltropolis.net/
    http://www.fabshophop.com/fabsearch.asp

The first one had 51 fabrics at 6 shops, the second one had 70 fabrics.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".