Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Do You Find Yourself Passing on a Lot of Patterns?

I really like to do a simple one, then a complex one. I always like to try something I havn't done before but just because I haven't done it before doesn't mean its hard. I have never purchased an individual pattern because the books and magazines plus this great board supply me with more than I can ever get done. As noted by a couple of others, I am going to let my subscriptions lapse, to much money and not enough diversity.

Quote Originally Posted by lisalisa
    I skip anything that has flying geese. They're such a pain in the rear, I just curse every time I do them.
    Have you tried Eleanor Burns flying geese? IMHO she makes them really simple.

I pass on patterns that only make a size I can't use. I'm surprised how many quilts say "king size" but are only 108x88. My bed is 81x81; to have a reasonable overhang I require 100x120. I won't buy a pattern just to find out I can't enlarge it easily.

Blog Entries
    I do have both sizes EB flying geese rulers, but never used them Another bad habit !

Quote Originally Posted by ShirlinAZ
    I skip anything that has flying geese. They're such a pain in the rear, I just curse every time I do them.
    Have you tried Eleanor Burns flying geese? IMHO she makes them really simple.

I pass on patterns that only make a size I can't use. I'm surprised how many quilts say "king size" but are only 108x88. My bed is 81x81; to have a reasonable overhang I require 100x120. I won't buy a pattern just to find out I can't enlarge it easily.

Yes, but the ones I pass are the ones everybody and their cousin has already done 6 of or the super simple "just a bunch of squares and rectangles" sewn together type quilts.

Quote Originally Posted by plainpat
    Don't know if it's just a case of laziness or what,but I'm not choosing to make a lot of the patterns I see.
    The pics are pretty,but is it full of HSTs? How many seams?Is it a... so-called easy quilt? Been there & done that.....didn't work easy for me.
    Seems like my mind has to dissect a pattern before I'll consider it.Maybe too many HSTs have just worn me out? ;) :lol:
    I don't think it is laziness at all. Personally, I've just found the styles I am most fond of. I love looking at all of the beautiful quilts and the many styles, but when I sit down to work on one I find myself happiest with a simple pattern.

Blog Entries
    I hardly order "Paper Patterns", but I have many acrylic "patterns" or if I want a particular pattern, I trace and cut by hand.

Quote Originally Posted by grann of 6
    Quote Originally Posted by plainpat
    Don't know if it's just a case of laziness or what,but I'm not choosing to make a lot of the patterns I see.
    The pics are pretty,but is it full of HSTs? How many seams?Is it a... so-called easy quilt? Been there & done that.....didn't work easy for me.
    Seems like my mind has to dissect a pattern before I'll consider it.Maybe too many HSTs have just worn me out? ;) :lol:
    Yes, I'm all for easy these days. I find my attention span has gone awry, and I just don't want to spend a lot of time doing tedious things. I've been doing a lot of charity quilts so don't want complicated and time consuming.
    Sometimes you need/want to do easier patterns because there's too much going on, or family members have moved back home for a short while, or your schedule has changed and it takes time to adjust. And sometimes you want a easy pattern because the last one was so darn frustrating!

Blog Entries
    I find I will use a color combination used in a pattern but not the pattern. I love EQ7 for designing any pattern I want.

I have never bought a pattern but have 2 mag subscriptions thatI ordered last year when I started quilting. I will cancel them when they expire. I either use a pattern idea from one of my magazines or more often use an idea from here. Also have printed free patterns from the web. Sometimes I just use graph paper to design a layout I want and calculate the yardage needed.

I'm finding that a lot of patterns are so very similar that they tend to blend together. I can design a 2 block quilt, but I 'm looking for something unique. There wa a Pam Bono flying geese quilt posted the other day that was wonderful. And there are SOO many unique avatar quilts, I don't even know where to start! I often PM about the patterns, and then get them.

Ok, I am also a hater of HSQ's yet love this method as shown on this message board. Try it; you'll never do it any other way and no pattern will scare you anymore. :)

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-37915-1.htm

Try this........sooooooooooo simple.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78Mu0C_QL8Y

I don't buy many anymore. They seem to be very basic, and more $$. The "new" stuff-modern as they say- is mostly that. With more free patterns on the net, I have also canceled my magazine subscriptions. There is so much other info here on the QB, can have years worth of projects to keep me busy! Let the creativity abound! :)

Blog Entries
    What does HST stand for?

Blog Entries
    Half square triangle

Quote Originally Posted by beksclen
    What does HST stand for?

i used to be that way but now i am venturing into things that i used to avoid

Blog Entries
    Thank you. I was having trouble figuring that one out. I'm new. Can you tell.....:)

Blog Entries
    I avoid all patterns with templates or applique even though I love the look of applique. Just too slow to make. I like to put the pedal to the metal because of my gnat sized attention span.

I don't find as many patterns that interest me lately, many of them tend to more "artsy" or quite simple. I have a nice little library of quilt books that I usually go to for new project inspiration.

Blog Entries
    :) I started out doing more complicated patterns....back when I didn't know any better.Now I'm into "git er done" mode.Guess I've done it backwards :)

Quote Originally Posted by penski
    i used to be that way but now i am venturing into things that i used to avoid

I quit getting magazines and have two that I will let expire. I took my magazines one day and just cut out the patterns I wanted and know I will make some day. Boy did that make a dent and more storage for fabric. Also there are so many free patterns on the internet.

Blog Entries
    There may be a simple answer to this but I am really quite new at techno-language[I don"t text either] but what does HST mean -some of the abrevs I get this one goes ZOOOOM right over my head Thanks in advance Dawn

Blog Entries
    There may be a simple answer to this but I am really quite new at techno-language[I don"t text either] but what does HST mean -some of the abrevs I get this one goes ZOOOOM right over my head Thanks in advance Dawn

Hi Dawn-
    HST means half square triangle

yes I pass on a lot of patterns. I found I can design them my self. Others I buy books because they give me ideas that I can change and make different.

I'm taking a pass on just about everything this year. Except for 3 that are promised to various people, this is the year I'm finishing ALL my ufos. I'm not buying anymore books, not subscribing to any more mags and buying very little fabric. I have enough books and mags to last a lifetime and I'll never make all the quilts I would like to from them. Sooo... this is going to be the year of living ...easily.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast