Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you finish a quilt you don’t like ? >

Do you finish a quilt you don’t like ?

Do you finish a quilt you don’t like ?

Old 03-17-2020, 06:13 AM

After I pieced the top, I decided it it was ugly. I cut it up and made four little quilts. I finished each one and donated them to an animal shelter.
Old 03-17-2020, 06:30 AM

I have struggled to finish a couple quilts I don't like but usually they end up in my UFO tub. Unfortunately it keeps growing no matter what my intentions are. Things are growing even faster since my Grace Frame is down for the count right now. So I am now reworking my thought process to get some of the quilts that I am not fond of finished. Even this posting wants me to get up and pull out such quilts and get them moving. I have 3 such quilts that I don't like right now but they need to be finished and as charity quilts where they will be much loved.
Old 03-17-2020, 07:08 AM

There's a disappearing 9 patch sitting the closet now that I'm not happy with and can't decide what it should become.
Realized I didn't like the fabric combos but tried to trudge along and then found a big mistake. So it may end up a quilt for the dog bed lol.
Old 03-17-2020, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I have found that I usually fall out of love with every project while I'm working on it. Once it's finished, I usually like it again. And if I don't someone else usually does.
This happens to me, too. Those quilts either get given away as gifts or to charity or even sold. I just came across a wallhanging this morning what I just don't even want to give away. I am going to throw it away, sadly. It is time to quit shuffling it around my closets.
Old 03-17-2020, 11:53 AM

I try to finish it quickly so I can get on to something I like better. If it's colors I don't like it's usually something someone requested so I get it done and gone as quickly as possible.
Old 03-17-2020, 12:32 PM

I was told "You don't have to finish every project you start". I live by that.
Old 03-17-2020, 01:43 PM

Maybe there is a new technique or quilting pattern you have been wanting to try or a new batting that a top like this could be used as a practice or test project. I try to finish all the tops I start and the ones I think are doggie poo then I try new FMQ pattern on, and usually the new quilting pattern looks like doggie poo too for at least half of the quilt. But at least I didn't ruin a top that I really liked.
Old 03-18-2020, 01:08 AM

You have my permission to not finish something you don't like.
1) class on wonky log cabin blocks. Made 20. But didn't liken the results enough to finish and they were different sizes. Shoved it under the bed until I gave it away at a quilting retreat.
2) bought a panel. Decided I was not going to use it. Gave it away during a fat quarter exchange.
3) received some beautiful/perfect for my project at a class because someone didn't want it.

Life's too short to do something you hate. But you have the responsibility of finding a new home for it.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-18-2020 at 03:09 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 03-18-2020, 04:20 AM

I would finish it as fast as I could, then give it away or donate to charity. I hate to waste stuff.
Old 03-18-2020, 04:43 AM

I would just put all the pieces in a big zip lock bag, along with the pattern if possible and donate it to a thrift shop. I have seen that and the store clerk said they just fly off the shelves. Church quilt groups love to get things like that to make up for missions, etc. Many around the world just need them to throw on the ground to sit, or lay on so the quilt does not need to be fancy or beautiful. Good luck.

Last edited by Karamarie; 03-18-2020 at 04:45 AM. Reason: Addition