Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
do you hate hand sewing down your binding >

do you hate hand sewing down your binding

do you hate hand sewing down your binding

Old 09-15-2014, 06:29 AM
Power Poster

I enjoy sewing the binding by hand. It looks better to me. I make it a game to see how much I can get done before a program goes off. I also plan the next quilt I will be starting as soon as I finish the one I am working on.
I will leave the machine sewing to others, for now.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:14 AM

Actually, I kind of like hand sewing the back binding. I know all Bernina feet are expensive, so I'll stay with the hand sewing.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:15 AM

This system makes perfect binding with straight, even stitching on the back side of the quilt and sid on the top.
There is a learning curve, but it's perfect.

http://www.martellinotions.com/videos/#zipbind
Old 09-15-2014, 08:15 AM

Love to do hand sewing. Just wish all of my projects were at this point.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:55 AM

To me 'hand' sewing is a dirty four letter word. Ha! Ha! I hand sew binding if it is going to a quilt show but otherwise I stitch on the machine.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:58 AM

Oh dear, it seems I have offended with my honest opinion. I'm not saying your machine stitched bindings on quilts are not lovely, but I believe the market also reflects my opinion -- if you look at sales of quilts, they will always command a prettier penny when hand bound than machine.

And dear girl who suggested that I have not quilted long enough to have my opinions -- in my 85 years, some 78 of them spent in quilting, I have most definitely made my fair share of quilts. Certainly enough to entitle me to my opinions. Many I have gifted or given to charities, many others are heirlooms, but please do not presume to guess about my output. The numbers I have made are in the hundreds. All of them stitched most joyfully with hand bound bindings and these 10 arthritic digits.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:00 AM

I also like sewing my binding on by hand. I find it relaxing.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:08 AM

I love hand sewing in front of the t.v. I was having a problem when I needed a magnifying glass to thread my needles, but once I took care of that obstacle, I'm good to go. I even started to do some hand embroidery work now. So much fun to make pictures with thread.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by SweatyPie View Post
Oh dear, it seems I have offended with my honest opinion. I'm not saying your machine stitched bindings on quilts are not lovely, but I believe the market also reflects my opinion -- if you look at sales of quilts, they will always command a prettier penny when hand bound than machine.

And dear girl who suggested that I have not quilted long enough to have my opinions -- in my 85 years, some 78 of them spent in quilting, I have most definitely made my fair share of quilts. Certainly enough to entitle me to my opinions. Many I have gifted or given to charities, many others are heirlooms, but please do not presume to guess about my output. The numbers I have made are in the hundreds. All of them stitched most joyfully with hand bound bindings and these 10 arthritic digits.
Then at that age you should know when something said is rude. Just MY opinion. How could you not offend with a statement like that?
Old 09-15-2014, 11:43 AM
Power Poster

I find it relaxing although I have done some by machine. Hand-work (at least mine) just looks much neater.

Originally Posted by gale View Post
Then at that age you should know when something said is rude. Just MY opinion. How could you not offend with a statement like that?
Gale, she did state that it was her opinion and as such, I don't think it was meant to offend. You have to give someone permission to offend (or to hurt your feelings). Does the original statement sound judgmental? Sure, but it is a judgment I don't have to live by. The nice thing about quilting is that there are 6 ways to Sunday how we pursue that hobby of ours.

Last edited by MadQuilter; 09-15-2014 at 11:49 AM.