Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you have any old quilts from your grandmothers,family? >

Do you have any old quilts from your grandmothers,family?

Do you have any old quilts from your grandmothers,family?

Old 05-29-2010, 06:14 AM

OK, where, what is the mistake? I can't find it.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:29 AM

I have one from my mother's family...the history slip with it gives the info of who made it, where she lived and the year...1857! Wow! And, I have to tell you...it is the ugliest quilt ever...but I do treasure it. I just do not know what to DO with it?!! The very elderly cousin of my mother (and they are both deceased now) who passed it along to my family, was very much into geneology, history, antiques, etc so I do not doubt at all the validity of the information. I also have my patchwork quilt made by my grandma who passed away in 1966....she had made quilts for all her 11 grandchildren. Our moms were to give them to us when we married. The quilt she made for my brother (deceased) is at my dad/step-mom's house. I have been trying to think of a tactful way to get it.

Then, when cleaning out/going through things for my FIL now that my hubby's mom has passed away, I discovered a couple quilt tops that have never been sandwiched/quilted. He would like me to take them and do something with them...they are quite old...most likely ones from ancestors. My MIL was not a quilter. I imagine she just somehow acquired them and stuck them in the closet.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:30 AM

I have a quilt that was made by my maternal grandmother. She died in 1941, my mother was the youngest of seven children. I don't know when my grandmother made it. It was kept in a trunk for me by my mother, she died in Feb. 1994. I just took it out this past winter, it really needs cleaned but I don't want to hurt it.
I will try to post a picture of it later.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:24 AM

I have several my grandmother made. I found one top that wasn't finished and at the time I didn't quilt. It was wrapped in a newspaper from about 1930 something. My DD took it and had a lady finish it for me. I was amazed when I got it back. Some of the pieces shredded when she washed it and she was able to match the pieces and you can't tell which are the new ones. She did a beautiful job and was all hand quilted.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:37 AM

I have a few. One was given to me by my grandmother, and she said her grandmother (or great grandmother, not sure which) made it as a young girl. It is all hand pieced, and hand quilted. But the seam joining the 2 pieces for the backing is done by machine, and the binding is the back brought to the front and machine stitched down. <G> It has been dated to the mid 1800's.
When my grandpa passed away, my mother found a quilt top in his stuff. She recognized pieces from her kindergarden dresses, so it was pieced in the mid '30s perhaps into the early '40s. I have it basted and ready to quilt, but am a bit leary about doing it. <G> Oh it is a Boston Commons variation, or rectangular Trip Around the World.

When DH's mother passed away several quilts were found in the cedar chest. My sister-in-law thought that I should have a couple of them.
One is a pre-Civil War bridal quilt. Applique, in reds and greens. The quilting has hearts which defines it as a bridal quilt. It is gorgeous.
Another is a child's quilt, well used. It is appliqued and embroidered boys and girls. Over the years it has faded and some of the embroidery is worn almost off.
And when Dad was getting ready to move up with my sis-in-law they found another. It is in pretty sad shape, but another gorgeous one. Fancy Dresden Plate, with an "ice cream cone" border. And a faced edge. Not sure if I will try to repair it or just make a new one in that style.

They are all treasures.
Will try to get some pics and learn how to post them here.

Pati, in Phx

Originally Posted by craftybear
Do you have any old quilts from your grandmothers or other family?
Old 05-29-2010, 08:41 AM

I have a few from my grandmother. The others were such treasures that I decided to donate them to the Latimer Quilt and Textile Museum in Tillamook, Oregon. I weighed the decision carefully, and the women at the museum were so gracious and thrilled to get them that I walked away knowing I'd done the right thing. I kept one that was a duplicate of the same pattern, and I kept the one she made especially for me. Also, there are two others that are so worn that I didn't think they were museum quality any more. Some day I'll restore them. They just need to be taken apart and resewn with fresh batting.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:00 AM

I have a couple of quilts from my husband's grandma who died a few months after we were married almost 30 years ago. She was a quilter and I was so sorry she died, we would have been best friends
The flower basket quilt was in the back of my husband's van when I met him, wrapped aound his tools. I took it immediately and told him if we broke up I'd give it bakc. It has a treasured spot in our home now

Mabel's Star
[ATTACH=CONFIG]75308[/ATTACH]

Mabel's Flower Basket
[ATTACH=CONFIG]75309[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-75303.jpe   attachment-75304.jpe  
Old 05-29-2010, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by craftybear
Do you have any old quilts from your grandmothers or other family?
I have one embroidered quilt which is hand-quilted but with machine-stitched binding. My paternal grandmother made many hand-quilted quilts but I've always wondered about this binding. The other, apparently made by the other grandmother, is a log cabin made from strips of wool, etc. My Mother used to tuck it over us when we were sick and point out pieces from clothing she had. Wish I had paid more attention since both grandmothers were mothers before 1900.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:31 AM
Banned

Yes I do which I treasure. One is a hand dyed stippy dyed from feed sacks. The other is a diamond patchwork made from fabric from voil dresses. Back in the 20's and 30's voil was a heavier fabric than that today.
My grandmother quilting in diamond patterns with one direction on the sewing machine and the other by hand.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:07 AM

Be very, very careful!!! I'm the quilter in the family.
My grannma was a quilter and after she died I got 2 1/2 quilt tops. I felt bad that noone else had any even tho they quilt. I took the 1/2 which was a Grandmothers Flower Garden and picked it apart. I the turned under all the edges, wrote a short note and framed them for the rest of the family. Not 1 of my siblings or nieces ever said 1 word about them. I obviously am very jaded about sharing.