Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Do you have a dual purpose quilting tool?

I use my presser foot as a 3rd hand when ripping seams. Holds the fabric and allows me to seperated the seam and rip away with ease. Also doesn't stretch the fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE
    For a finger pressing tool ... use the little brown scraper that comes with your Pampered Chef stoneware.
    Great idea!!! I just remembered that I have one
    of those!!! Thanks for jogging my memory!!!!

Blog Entries
    A grapefruit spoon to open and close basting pins. Or I used a plastic knife with a serrated edge when I couldn't find the grapefruit spoon.

My small Creative Memories scrap booking cutting mat goes with me to quilting class. It fits right next to my sewing machine in its case. It is easy to take, and it provides an extra layer of protection for my machine. My Creative Memories paper cutting templates are great for quilting and applique patterns.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieceful Quilter
    My small Creative Memories scrap booking cutting mat goes with me to quilting class. It fits right next to my sewing machine in its case. It is easy to take, and it provides an extra layer of protection for my machine. My Creative Memories paper cutting templates are great for quilting and applique patterns.
    I keep a mini-mat in front of my machine all the time ... plus it is a good guide for me to know the exact spot to set my machine when I move it, for my working comfort. Mat just fits between the machine and the table edge

Blog Entries
    I cut an old mouse pad up and use one piece as a pin cushion on one side of my sewing machine - another at my cutting station. I could probably glue it to my machine, but I could hear her saying, "Don't want no glue on my perfect body!"

Blog Entries
    I use cat liter buckets to carry my work back and forth to work. Now the kids all want one to keep their projects in. I will have to get my neighbor to save me some. I don't have a cat.

We're in the midst of a self move packing frenzy. Instead of using old newspaper, we purchased ($2) ends of rolls from the printing company. I use an old warped cutting board and my rotary cutter to cut the paper to the right size for whatever item needs to be cushioned. So far - 40 boxes and counting!!! First time ever doing it ourselves, the military always took care of our moves previously.

Discarded quilt batting..just a little piece, beside sewing machine to catch trimmed threads. Sticks like a magnet. when through sewing just wipe up threads that missed in the sewing flurry and toss in garbage!

Chopsticks! Sharpen in pencil sharpener, or not. Great for stiletto or for turning and poking out corners. Also pizza boxes for projects.

Blog Entries
    Shoeboxes for scraps - labeled 'blue',yellow, strips, 2"squares, etc

Quote Originally Posted by birdthaing
    Chopsticks! Sharpen in pencil sharpener, or not. Great for stiletto or for turning and poking out corners. Also pizza boxes for projects.
    Yes pizza boxes ... I cover them with contact plastic and insert a long shoe lace for a tie.

Perfect for taking projects to the LQS to look for more fabric!

I use the edge of my 6.5" squaring ruler to "scrape" my cutting mat to clean it (after which I wash with damp cloth).

I use the tip of my seam ripper to guide that last bit of fabric through the machine evenly (cause I work a lot with small pieces).

Blog Entries
    We use part of a "retired" cutting mat that had warped and a rotary cutter to cut seal a meal bags.

Blog Entries
    Use another part of that warped cutting mat instead of buying an expensive rotary mat. I cut a square about 25" square - and it moves around on top of my big mat very easily without the rotary thing under it.

Amen!

Blog Entries
    ME - I have more diversified uses
    than you could every imagine.
    J J

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PJisChaos
    Oh wow, I am a bit ashamed to admit my "dual use tool" to all ya'll!
    But, it has to be my seam ripper. *Not just for unsewing those pesky D'oh! moments I have all too often* It also serves as a very quick stress reliever. For when I get most stressed, I not only rip the seam but have been known to rip a few crumbs to tiny pieces with it for good measure! ;-) Works for me! LoL
    LOL, my DS loves to do this too!! He'll pick up my seam ripper and trash a piece of fabric from my scrap bag.

Now don't laugh to hard, I have used my seam ripper to clean out under my finger nails when I couldn't find anything else. Was very careful to not jab too hard. I also use an old prescription bottle to put used needles in. I also use my rulers to measure everything. I can always find them & usually have a hard time finding a regular ruler or yardstick. Like getting something that has dropped behind the couch or chair. They are also good for getting the cat to stay away from your squares while sewing.

Blog Entries
    LOVE this idea!

For a finger pressing tool ... use the little brown scraper that comes with your Pampered Chef stoneware.

I'm sure you all remember the rubber mats that we used under computers, a while ago. Well I have one under my serger, one under my sewing machine and I've cut one to fit under my pedal. They don't move around any more, and when I'm cleaning my sewing table I find it a bit easier to clean off the mat than the whole floor or table.

Well, Since we are using many of the PC items, i have to tell you. I use the kitchen tool holder, the one you set on the counter top to hold all the utensils, it spins around and holds my rotary cutters, pencils,/marking pencils, scissors, short 6&12 INC. rulers, bias binding strips, etc. or what ever I might need... it comes in white and black,( all my kitchen tools are in the drawer now.... it de-cluttered my countertops as well... I have seen them in the thrift stores lately, so keep checking there or call your local PC rep!!!!

I use my round quilting hoop for an edge hoop. I made a half round "pillowcase" and put it over the inside hoop. Then pin the edge of the quilt to it. It comes to the center of the hoop (the widest part), and works great.

Or a wallpaper seam roller.

I never use a seam ripper I am afraid that I will rip a hole in somthing. I also use the taperstry (sp ) needle to do seam ripping.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast