Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you have a go-to pattern for gift? >

Do you have a go-to pattern for gift?

Do you have a go-to pattern for gift?

Old 09-30-2013, 05:40 AM

How about a sofa quilt? My kids are in their twenties and love to nap, covered with an afghan or lightweight quilt. If you don't know their style preferences, a holiday quilt should be safe. Blue is also usually a safe choice, as it's almost a neutral, without being so drab.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:43 AM
Power Poster

I would just get gift cards. You can pick them up at any walmart with visa or american express. That way they can purchase what they want. Or check the gift registry and see if they are signed up at any of the stores. You could also call the parents and get some ideas if you decide ona quilt.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:45 AM

I'm not thinking about making an actual quilt.....I was thinking more along the lines of placemats, table runner, something like that.....something fairly simple and inexpensive. Just don't want to come across as cheap, but don't really want to give a cash gift either.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:01 AM

I'd whip up one of those 10 minute table runners in a holiday theme fabric and purchase some cloth napkins at one of the big retailers. If they aren't wild about it they only have to use it once a year and it's something that is inexpensive to make but looks expensive. If you have an embroidery machine or know a friend that does you can monogram their initial on the napkins. I usually monogram just the initial of their last name in the corner. I can usually make this gift set in about 2 hours.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:15 AM

I made a Disappearing 9 Patch out of my stash for a young couple that my husband had known through his former wife. A quilt is a nice gift and another easy pattern is a Wickedly Easy - both patterns are available on the internet and can be made quickly. I do not buy presents anymore for any occasion. I am also astounded by the expensive gifts now a days and would rather use my talent and time to make something even if I do not know the couple very well.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:17 AM

I am going to be honest... as much as you don't want to .. give cash or check and/or see if they are registered . You don't know the taste of these couples, and it would take time and $$$ to make a gift. I am not normally a fan of cash... but when I don't know the couple... it just makes more sense .. so I can use my time to make something for someone that I am sure they will appreciate.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:26 AM

Haven't been to a wedding for awhile but if you are of a quilting mind the double slice layer cake is a favorite of mine.Missouri Quilt has the tutorial. I always give something personal and hand made whether by Me or someone else.Anyone can give from a gift registry!!!Good luck
Old 09-30-2013, 07:00 AM

How about a Christmas Table Runner (for a Christian couple), or seasonal table runner (Snow, Valentine' Day, Fall/harvest). There are some fairly easy ones. I would not do a quilt for someone I didn't really know.

Some of the handmade gifts we received included a Kleenex box cover (the upright kind with a box of Kleenex inside), table cloths, but those require at least some knowledge of the preferred colors for decor.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:12 AM

I have to agree with others on this. If you're not particularly close to the couples, I wouldn't make them a quilt. Take the money you would have spent on the quilts and give them a gift card or a check.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:37 AM

use search for this site: Easy tabletopper -- uses squares (5) and 1/2 squares (2 squares) -- I am currently using 6 1/2 inch squares for the tabletopper and 5 1/2 inch squares for the placemats -- they are octagons, very fast and easy to assemble and quilt -- pictures are easy to use as a pattern