Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you have a go-to pattern for gift? >

Do you have a go-to pattern for gift?

Do you have a go-to pattern for gift?

Old 10-01-2013, 08:10 PM

You can tell a lot about a couple by lookng at their gift register. If possible, check it out as you can find the colors they like as well as the style they will have in their home.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:02 AM

Is the couple all ready living together? If they are I would make sure of what their needs are before making too much of anything. If they are just setting up house they will need stuff for kitchen. I like the idea of a matching table setting. If you don't know couple very well look at their registry to get an idea of their taste. Then a table runner, some place mats and maybe a casserole carrier all in a matching fabric would be a fantastic gift. A wedding wall hanging with their important info and done with wedding colors, I can't see any bride not liking that. Actually I am making one now using MorelCabins(she is board member hope I am spelling name right) pattern. MorelCabin made an entire quilt but I am using just the center to make wall hanging. I think it will be perfect not to big not too small and something she will enjoy looking at. Here is a link so you can see pattern but she has quilt here on board so if you search pix I am sure you will find it.

Let us know what you make Happy Sewing
T

forgot to add the link,, DUH moment here it is http://www.craftsy.com/pattern/quilt...qyb&_ctp=58517
Old 10-02-2013, 03:42 AM

I always do monogramed towels: 2 bath, 2 hand, 2 wash cloths.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by SavedByGrace View Post
My husband and I are invited to 3 upcoming weddings and are not particularly close to any of the couples. Do you have a go-to pattern that you would use for gifts? Would a home-made gift seem cheap to a young couple? My son just got married a week ago, and I was stunned at the generous gifts they received.
I wouldn't bother if you don't know them. See if they're registered on bbby or macys and pick something you can afford.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:09 AM

I read that you don't want to go and buy them something--(assuming you already have fabric, batting, etc. in your house, there is less money out of pocket, right)--so I say a Christmas lap quilt for the couch or tree skirt. or Christmas placemat set and/napkins,

But a nice placemat and napkins set just doesn't seem to go with paper plates and throw away cups, which many younger couples are using these days! !!!!

So, I'd opt for the Christmas quilt--assuming they celebrate Christmas.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:58 AM
Power Poster

Many couples sign up with a gift registry at a major department store. If your couples have, you can get a sense of their likes and colors. It won't hurt to ask.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:23 AM

I have made several embroidered bath towel sets as wedding gifts for young people whom I did not know well, and never received a thank you note. I certainly wouldn't go to the effort to make a quilt... maybe a table runner.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:32 AM

Sofa Throws are always nice!
Old 10-02-2013, 01:33 PM

If you want to give the gift early, you could make a runner, that the guests can sign at the reception. I made a quilt and the runner for my nephew for his wedding, and they loved it.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:15 PM

Wedding registry. That tells you what they really want or need. It is possible that you could get good information from checking the registry, for instance if you can see their every day dishes, you could coordinate fabric for place mats and napkins, or table runners. But I would not choose my fabrics blindly.