Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you have ideas for "ruler cases" to carry to classes? >

Do you have ideas for "ruler cases" to carry to classes?

Do you have ideas for "ruler cases" to carry to classes?

Old 08-10-2017, 06:50 AM

Default Do you have ideas for "ruler cases" to carry to classes?

Hi. from North Central Wisconsin
I am going to be taking ...ruler classes for free motion quilting....there will be 6 classes over 6 months each new month we will get a new ruler to learn how to use...my question as we do our samples I would like to keep my rulers together with the samples of the designs but as an easy carry and keep all rulers together...(I am finding out there are a lot of different rulers) Can 't wait...thanks for any ideas....
Cary Wisnosky
Old 08-10-2017, 08:59 AM
Power Poster

I picked up a Crayola kids case with Minion stuff in it for my Bernina rulers for $5 after Christmas[ATTACH=CONFIG]578466[/ATTACH]. I did have to remove a couple of partitions with an exacto knife though.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  
Old 08-10-2017, 09:04 AM
Power Poster

Later I found this one at the charity shop for .50 cents. It was empty but it had a sticker on it saying Christmas kids craft stuff I think from Michaels. I picked it up for back up or if I get more rulers.[ATTACH=CONFIG]578467[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  
Old 08-10-2017, 09:23 AM

Howdy & welcome from Texas!

Here's a bag you could make for your rulers:

http://www.olfa.com/blog/blog-OLFA-D...Tool-Tote.html

Last edited by osewme; 08-10-2017 at 09:32 AM.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by osewme View Post
Howdy & welcome from Texas!

Here's a bag you could make for your rulers:

http://www.olfa.com/blog/blog-OLFA-D...Tool-Tote.html
I made something very similar to this - my own design - to hold all manner of tools for toting to classes or just traveling. It's been handy!

It sounds, though, like you might be looking for something more permanent to keep your ruler and practice piece together?? Short term or long term? The stackable rolling carts that JoAnn's or other craft places sell might be an idea for you? Or perhaps even just some clean pizza boxes from your local shop? You could easily label the outside edges with ruler name - perhaps even a rough sketch of the design of the ruler - so it would be easy to see??

Just some thoughts.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:56 PM

Dusty Ferrell and his wife Stephanie have a bag pattern for quilting rulers--he's a LA quilter and she does patterns. Their store is County?? but you can google him and find it I'm sure. It holds a number of rulers and since you make it, you get to decide how many/where the pockets are.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:34 PM

When I started long arm teaching I went to Harbor Freight and got an aluminum attache case (when it went on sale) for my rulers. It has the foam pieces that you can customize to keep them from getting broken or scratched and the case protects the contents very well. I think they're meant for camera equipment storage, but it's just another HF item re-purposed for us quilters
Old 08-10-2017, 05:28 PM

Check out storage supplies for scrap book pages. They are usually 12 x 12 inches though so might not work if rulers are larger. For example these sheets would store in a note book and you could label each pocket. Just find the ones to coordinate with your rulers.

Another holder that might work too.

https://www.scrapbook.com/store/sr-s...d+organization

Another holder that might work too.

https://www.scrapbook.com/store/sr-p...d+organization

The office supply stores also have divider pockets with zip-lock tabs.

Hope that helps!
Old 08-12-2017, 02:48 AM
Power Poster

A friend of mine took the cardboard bolt from a fabric store and put two layers of insulbrite on one side and cotton batting on both sides. Then she covered it with fabric making a pocket (on the side without the insulbrite) covering almost the full length of the bolt. She put her rulers and rotary cutter in the pocket side and had a pressing mat on the other. Clever
Old 08-12-2017, 04:59 AM

I don't have rulers like those. I find the fishing aisle a good place to get boxes for my sewing things. There are all kinds of tackle boxes etc where you can move the dividers around to fit whatever you want. I know JoAnns also has a lot of different storage options.