Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do You Have an Old Sear Kenmore Sewing Machine? >

Do You Have an Old Sear Kenmore Sewing Machine?

Do You Have an Old Sear Kenmore Sewing Machine?

Old 11-12-2013, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Judie View Post
I have a kenmore 1030... I haven't used it very much.. but it is just a beautiful little machine with the prettiest roses imbossed on the case. Pretty vintage green color. I was able to download the manual off the internet.. I've never seen a case with roses molded in like this. Anyone have/use this machine??
Oh, yeah, I have one of those! It's the Kenmore "Featherweight", and I bought it to take if I travel or take a class. It has a stronger motor than Singer's Featherweight, and also does zigzags. Plus, since it weighs a little more than the Singer, it stays put on the table while sewing. I love how the storage box flips to become a small table in front of the needle, and the flip up side table! Great machine! (I thought mine was a number 1040, though. Will have to check on that.)
Old 11-13-2013, 03:16 AM

I have a Kenmore model 1941 that my darling dad bought for me on 7/5/77 for $386.84. I still have the original bill of sale. Through the years I have had other machines but I have always come back to this workhorse. I knew even then that an all metal construction machine would outlast any plastic wonder that is manufactured today.

Keep those all metal Kenmore's ladies!! These are the machines that can be handed down to generations to come.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:56 AM

I have two Kenmores and love them both, they are work horses and are very user friendly. I took the oldest one (mid seventies) in for repair of the cams section and the repair man said to never sell it as I would never get what it is worth, that they just don't make these sturdy machines any longer.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:07 AM

I have a model 158-(something) in a cabinet - got it at a Restore for $50. Poor thing was seized from sitting. It took me well over an hour of oiling and moving "the joints" to get her back into mobility. Love that machine. I have other more modern machines but I like this one as well. Came with some "cams" for fancy stitches - amazing what was considered "fancy stitching" in those days compared to what we have now. Love it, glad I got it.

Marysewfun
Old 11-13-2013, 10:37 AM

My Kenmore is a 1956 model, all metal, with cams for decorative stitches. It was in a portable case when it was new but is now in a cabinet. It weighs about 40 pounds. It is a wonderful machine. It has been in the shop three times in the 60 + years I've had it and then only for cleaning. You got bargain. dnf
Old 11-13-2013, 12:31 PM

I had one given to me at 18, so that is 34 yrs ago..it had pattern cams in the front so one could do decorative stitches. the machine was heavy as all heck. It cost me about 100 a year to have it fixed near the end because the tension always dropped off over lots of use and time. It was worth every penny it was an amazingly grand work horse. wish I still had it. my x traded it in for a Viking and boy did I hate that new fancy machine. My bet is you get the machine serviced and you truly will love it. simple machine but why do you think people collect all the old machines? they ae reliable and strong machines. get it fixed you will love it.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:44 PM

I purchased my Kenmore 158.19142 in 1977 when pregnant with my second daughter. It is the only sewing machine I have ever owned. Have had it serviced ONCE and that was just a tune up a couple years ago when I decided to start sewing again after about 10 years. Currently making quilts for the grandkids and want to learn free motion quilting, etc. Has anyone been fortunate enough to find a generic walking foot and/or a free motion presser foot that will work on this model? I recently purchased the Generic Plaid WAlking Foot that was advertised to work on my machine but it doesn't work. Wish companies wouldn't advertise things that are incorrect. Would love some feedback!
Old 02-02-2015, 02:54 PM

I bought a Kenmore walking foot years ago for my Kenmore, which was a 158. something. It's a big klunky thing, and I bought it from searspartsdirect if my memory serves me right. At that time you could buy anything at all for those machines. Not sure if that's still true. My machine has the super high slant foot.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:00 PM

My husband gave me a new Kenmore in the late '8os (a 158 model) and I still have it. My sewing machine guy who serviced it (first time in its life, two years ago) said it's a very good machine. It sews through anything and is just plain easy to use, good and sturdy. I won't part with it even though I sew most often on a little Janome DC 1050. Can't say enough good about Kenmore.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
My DH brought home a Kenmore this weekend. I was all happy and everything til he told me how he got it. I'm like no no no. One of the guys who works for him let DH have it and all the attachments and the manual for $50.00. Told DH his wife hasn't used if for awhile (?). How long was awhile? Told him to call the guy and found out his wife nearly shot him. She didn't know he sold it AND for $50.00. I want an extra sewing machine for a back up but there's no way I'm keeping this one. DH called and we took it back to her. We got our money back (that wasn't the point) she needed her sewing machine. Dh looked at me and said "Guess next time I'll ask why it's being sold and does the owner know it's being sold."
Not long after we were married after both of us being single parents for about 10 years, DH decided to rearrange everything in the kitchen while I was at work. We survived that, but the day I came home from work and he had started in on my sewing room, I just turned around and headed for the side door. He asked where I was going. "I'm going out to straighten up your shop and rearrange your tools." In the 20+ years since, I've only had to threaten that twice. It's a good thing that you appreciated the value of that machine and knew what it would be like for her without it. You are a good person!