Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you have one of these? >

Do you have one of these?

Do you have one of these?

Old 02-15-2011, 06:13 PM

I have been hearing about the altos quilt cut system, and wonder how many of you use this and do you like it? It is pricey for me, and I really need to know if I should start saving my pennies. I am having more trouble as I get older, making sure my ruler doesn't slip when I am cutting. Thinking that this might be a good investment. Any advice??
Old 02-15-2011, 06:14 PM

I was wondering the very same thing about this product. I'll be watching for the answers. Thanks for asking the question!
Old 02-15-2011, 06:31 PM

I have had mine for a month, and I love it. It's wonderful. You can cut a whole quilt out in 20 mins or so, and it's so accurate and easy to use. They have a good video on their website quiltcut.com. If you do a search on this board, you will find several people who have them and love them. I highly recommend it.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:40 PM

I have an Altos and really have not used it as much as I felt I would or that would warrant the expenditure.

Ironically, though, just this morning I determined another use for it. I love to make disappearing 4patch pinwheels...however, I hate to manually "turn" the fabric to cut it. I have a small cutting mat on a "lazy Susan" turn table, but it will not accommodate the large blocks I wanted to cut. I realized I could set my Altos on a turntable that I had in my cabinet for spices, and I did not have to move the fabric...just turn the Altos. That way I can cut up to 17" blocks. WooHoo!

I do "stablize" the Altos with my leg when cutting so that it will not turn and press down just a little to get a firm hold on my ruler...but I do not use the "T" shaped cutting edge that came with the Altos.

All in all, I would not buy it again. It takes up a lot of room, and I find I can cut just as fast without it. I'm sure there are some that it is their "best friend." But for me I think I would rather invest the money in thread. Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:04 PM

Use the search feature above to see other threads posted about it.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:05 PM

I've had one about a year now. Works great, as described in their ads. It is especially good for those who are challenged with cutting true to size, or if there is an age/health. My DBF has terrible shaking of his hands and this helps him help me in cutting. He does try to be helpful.

Now the best part of my Alto is I only paid $25.00 for it, still in the original box with everything included. Apparently someone passed and the family had no idea what it was.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Tolelady53
I have an Altos and really have not used it as much as I felt I would or that would warrant the expenditure.

Ironically, though, just this morning I determined another use for it. I love to make disappearing 4patch pinwheels...however, I hate to manually "turn" the fabric to cut it. I have a small cutting mat on a "lazy Susan" turn table, but it will not accommodate the large blocks I wanted to cut. I realized I could set my Altos on a turntable that I had in my cabinet for spices, and I did not have to move the fabric...just turn the Altos. That way I can cut up to 17" blocks. WooHoo!

I do "stablize" the Altos with my leg when cutting so that it will not turn and press down just a little to get a firm hold on my ruler...but I do not use the "T" shaped cutting edge that came with the Altos.

All in all, I would not buy it again. It takes up a lot of room, and I find I can cut just as fast without it. I'm sure there are some that it is their "best friend." But for me I think I would rather invest the money in thread. Just my 2 cents.
I wish I had it right now, because I am working on the twisted D4P and know what you mean about the turntable.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:44 PM

my vision isn't the best anymore . i found i couldn't see the light colored lines on the matt. definitely not worth it for me. you can buy a ton of new rulers and fab for their price.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:19 AM
Power Poster

I was at a quilt show last fall and one of the booths had this type of ruler.
http://www.quiltersrule.com/rulers/qr-westalee.html

Watch the video and it will tell you how it works. I have just started using it so I can't give you an opinion on it yet, but it is cheaper than Altos.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:41 AM

I have one and I LOVE IT!!!!!! So much that I bought another for my mom. She loves her. We both have arthritis issues and it helps SO MUCH. I don't have a place for it to stay up all the time here, but that will be changing next week when we move. My new room is TWICE the size of the one I have now.

My husband really loves it too. :lol: :lol: :lol: Before QuiltCut he used to have to hold my rulers for me when I was cutting out a new quilt. Not anymore. Now he says if he would have known how great it was for him, HE would have bought it for me.

I love all of the features - the rail for the ruler, the knob on the ruler - everything. Some people have problems with reading the markings on the mats but there are mats available with different color combinations.

I purchased my QuiltCut from a wonderful member of this board. Actually, that is how I found this board. You can do GOOGLE search and sometimes find listings for them for sale. I also have a 'Saved Search" on eBay that let's me know when a new listing is added. I purchased my mom's off of eBay - and it was only $85 including shipping.

DH asked why I keep getting the eBay listings since I have one and my Mom has one. I have seen some of them go extremely low. And if I can get one for a little bit of money, I will get another for me - and maybe for my mom - just to have. I guess that is the hoarder for me. :? :? Usually when I love something as much as this they stop making them and then I break or ruin mine and not be able to find a replacement.

Originally Posted by Tolelady53
I have been thinking about finding a television cabinet that has the lazy susan on the top and using that for my QuiltCut. That would just make it a total dream to use.

I do use it for making the D?P twisted blocks, it is really easy to use for that.