Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
do you have a sewing machine repair person? >

do you have a sewing machine repair person?

do you have a sewing machine repair person?

Old 03-07-2011, 03:15 AM

There is one in my area. My sister stopped by the other day and he charges 80$ an hour with a minimum charge of 1 hr. She just walked out. Not really worth it if you use a 200$ machine.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:22 AM

There is one less than a half hour away. I bought my used machine there and talked to him about fixing my serger but I haven't gone in yet for any repair work. He seems to know what he's doing, we had a lovely conversation about sewing and old machines last time I was there. I really should take it over sometime...he quoted me a very reasonable price for the work :thumbup:
Old 03-07-2011, 03:29 AM

I take my machines to Pocono Sew and Vac, they repair most machines and are very good at what they do. It is about a 1 1/2 hr trip one way from me. Always have to leave the machine and go back later to get it. But I usually shop in the town while there. that is Stroudsburg Pa.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:35 AM

I'm very lucky-there are 2 sewing machine people within 20 miles of me. One will work on any machine and the other works on Pfaffs and Brothers. Their charges are reasonable too. I take my Pfaff in for routine matenience at least once a year. My threader broke and he said he could fix it- I said no I don"t like it . Does anyone else like the threader on their macine? :-P
Old 03-07-2011, 03:43 AM

Yes, his name is Jeff. Runs a Viking,Brother, Janome dealership. My Viking came from him.He is a good christian man, fixed my Viking free when I told him my grand daughter was learning to sew on it.Was thrilled to hear I was teaching a child to sew. Is 30 minutes away.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:47 AM

My 36 year old son took a sewing machine repair course after he lost his other job. What began as a part time fill in job has now become full time. He charges a reasonable rate to encourage customers to have their machines serviced more often. A win-win for each. He loves what he does and can not understand why more people don't become involved with this profession. He services all makes and brands. And lives next door to me. Now all I need is one of my sons to become a doctor or dentist and life will be perfect :-)
Old 03-07-2011, 03:51 AM

I have one close by. He and his wife own a Babylock-Janome dealership. He also services other machines, but his main training is for those and Elna. They also carry fabric and a few notions. I like taking classes with them because they are not "hard sell" types. There is another shop in town that I don't frequent because they are always pushing their machines from the time you walk in the door.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:57 AM

I am so lucky that my husband used to service Singer commercial machines for my dad's mine supply business and he keeps all mine in working order. The only problem is the new ones have so many plastic parts they often are not worth fixing.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:06 AM

A more pertinent question would be: Do you have a sewing machine repair person you can trust?

I went to one that was recommended and the best thing to come out of that ordeal was I found my 301a. Now I only have vintage machines that I can work on.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
I am willing to bet that not many here on the board actually get their machines serviced in another country! There is one Bernina dealer in Ireland (on the other side of the country) and he let me down so badly and actually lied to me to try and cover up things, that I now drive into Northern Ireland to get my machine serviced.

It's about a 300 mile round trip! (but then to Dublin from where I am isn't much different).

And before you wonder why I didn't get another make instead, there is one dealer about an hour and a half from me, but she doesn't have a repairman either, so I would still have to take any machine bought from her to Dublin.
And we think we have it tough?