Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you have a Viking/Husqvarna Designer SE? >

Do you have a Viking/Husqvarna Designer SE?

Do you have a Viking/Husqvarna Designer SE?

Old 02-01-2014, 06:33 PM

Default Do you have a Viking/Husqvarna Designer SE?

I'm looking at one on Craigslist and would really appreciate your feedback, anything that you can tell me about it. Also would like to know what the harp measures. Thank you very very much.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:44 PM
Power Poster

7.5 inches. I love mine for piecing. Used it for all my FMQ before I got my long arm. Does great embroidery. It is very quiet.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:47 PM

I have three of them (one in my overseas house),and one listed on craigslist and love them. Quiet in sewing and do beautiful embroidery.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:00 PM

My Husqvarna is my work horse. I also have a Bernina (does embroidery, smocking, heirloom sewing, etc), and Rose, my Featherweight. LOVE my Husqvarna....I've had it for at least 15 years....
Old 02-01-2014, 07:06 PM

I have the Viking Designer Topaz 20 and love it - so far have used it only for embroidery since I have my Janome set up for sewing/quilting. When I took classes on it - I did sew on it - and loved how it sews thru layers of denim like it was two layers of quilting fabric.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:07 PM

I have te designer se...I hate it!i never get thru a whole design without something going wrong. twice yesterday it got near to the end of two different designs and then went nuts. For some reason the thread from top and bobbin wrap in the fabric and pull the foot plate off and bobbin holder out and I am left with a tangled up mess I have to cut apart. Design ruined. Same thing the day before. So I will have to take it in, drive an hour there and a hour back , plus the repair cst....not a happy camper right now.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:38 PM

I have the se, limited edition, which just means it came with a couple extra doodads and some extra designs. This machine is by far the nicest machine I have ever owned in regards to thoughtful and intuitive design and features. Example. If you select needle down position, the foot automatically raises to half height when you stop sewing so you can move or pivot the traffic.

I have hundreds of hours of embroidery time, and only one design puked up, and it was entirely my fault in how the fabric was loaded in the hoop. Since then i took a floriani embroidery class and have gotten even more adventurous in who is getting embroidered.

one of the most consistent auto tensioning machines I have ever used. Rock solid machine.

Only downside. Narrow harp.

Every quarter the LDS calls and offers a generous sum to buy it due to demand for one. Not gonna happen.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:00 AM

Don't have that model but do love my Viking Platinum. Great machine. Love the auto tension. Have never had to set tension for anything. Have had it for 10+ years with not one issue.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:10 AM
Power Poster

I've had mine for 10 years now- it is my favorite of my 4 machines- I use it daily and love it. one word about buying such a machine used- or from a place like- Craig's list...especially a 'specialty computerized' machine- I would check locally to see if there is a dealer and ask about taking 'owners classes' ; since I purchased mine new from the dealer the owner's classes were included free (and there were 4 all day classes) there are lots of 'bells & whistles' many features that you may never know how to use unless you take an owner's class and learn what all those things do. sure cuts down on frustration when you know what you are doing. in the classes they teach you how to use the embroidery unit- the stablizers to use for different applications (there are lots of differences- and not using the right ones can certainly cause a lot of frustration like *crqltr* is talking about above. I had to drive almost 2 hours each time for my classes- which at the time I thought would be a waste of whole days-but boy, am I glad I did it because now 10 years later I can still do all kinds of great things with that machine- problem free.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:15 AM

Are you buying the embroidery module, too? If not, issues with embroidery might not affect you. I have a QDII, of a similar vintage, I think, and love it.

Hugs,
Charlotte