Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you have your machine plugged into a surge protector? >

Do you have your machine plugged into a surge protector?

Do you have your machine plugged into a surge protector?

Old 12-24-2015, 05:18 AM

i have my machines plugged in to a surge protector but they are only plugged in when i use
them. i want to wish every body a merry christmas and a happy new year from my family
to yours
Old 12-24-2015, 05:41 AM

We have a whole home surge protector and my machine has its own as well. I admit that I am not as diligent as I should be, about unplugging when not in use, but make a point to do that when it is storming or if we are going on vacation.
Old 12-24-2015, 06:07 AM
Power Poster

My machine is plugged into a surge protector but I just turn my machine off but I don't unplug.
Old 12-24-2015, 06:12 AM
Power Poster

Yes, I do! For info on specifics, I suggest you go to Lowe's or Home Depot and look through the various ones they have. Lots of info is found on each different one.
Old 12-24-2015, 06:20 AM

I have pretty expensive surge protectors but I don't unplug my machines or computer. I probably should but... A few years ago, I had the reverse happen. We had a drop in power and the motherboard in my sewing machine burned itself up. That was a pretty expensive repair for sure. After that, we got the surge protectors. My husband has woodworking tools that could be affected also. I like the idea of a whole house protector. It would be very practical for us since we live in the mountains.
Old 12-24-2015, 06:47 AM

Always! I have my machine plugged into a surge protector, we have have a whole house surge protector, and when I'm not sewing I always unplug my machine. It's the most expensive "computer" I own and I don't want a power event to ruin it.
Old 12-24-2015, 06:58 AM
Power Poster

Mine is currently unplugged. Going to finish some last minute shopping for Dh. When I unplug it I lay the cord across my cabinet so at a quick glance I can see from a distance. When I worked in a salon I could always see from a distance if the surge protector was unplugged so hot tools would not be on to start a fire. Unfortunately, one hairdresser didn't. We lost everything. Always use a surge protector!
Old 12-24-2015, 07:07 AM

Everything in my sewing room is plugged into surge protectors.
Old 12-24-2015, 07:32 AM

I'm so glad you brought this up. I needed to replace my surge protector on my sewing machine last year in November but forgot. And of course I haven't given it another thought until just now. Yikes. I've been buying the kind that need to be replaced every year to keep a warranty going so if something happened they would pay for my motherboard. Unless the kind with the toggle switch have that kind of warranty. Guess I should get looking to see what's out there. Thanks for the thread.
Old 12-24-2015, 09:00 AM

My machine, iron and task light are all plugged into a surge protector with 5 plugs. When I'm done for the evening, I turn off the entire surge protector. This helps me to know that I've turned off the iron. If the small task light is on, that means the iron is too!