Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you iron your quilt tops before.. >

Do you iron your quilt tops before..

Do you iron your quilt tops before..

Old 11-14-2010, 04:48 AM

I press each step. The last pressing, and the most difficult, is the pressing just before sandwiching. I have a regular ironing board. I just want to be sure that all seams are pressed the best that they can be. After that, all it gets is hand smoothing.
I don't use starch because I find that it wrinkles less when no starch is used.
Old 11-14-2010, 05:14 AM

I am a presser too.From each individual seam to the loading on the longarm. When paperpiecing I also have the mini iron to press those seams with. To me they lay so much better and very seldmom have to block for size. When quilting on the long arm Every top and back will get a press before loading(they lay so much nicer aven tho they get a touch of stretch) One of the first quilts I quilted I had not and when it came off the long arm you could still see the fold down the center.From the point on I press one and all and everything in between.
Old 11-14-2010, 05:49 AM

Yes, I do iron my tops before quilting. If you are going to stitch in the ditch with your walking foot or even free motion, you want to make sure your seams are pressed the correct way.

Kim
Old 11-14-2010, 05:50 AM

Yes, I press at all stages!
Old 11-14-2010, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by laralea
I'm from the press as you go school of dressmaking so it is a deeply ingrained habit to press, press, press. It would be too much stress for me to worry about my blocks being nice and flat throughout the entire process.
I also grew up making my own clothes and pressing every seam. I just finished a quilt and starched and pressed the fabric before cutting and starched and pressed every seam as it was sewn. My corners were so easy to match and by the time the top was finished it was all starched and pressed. It was so easy to LAQ yesterday that all my quilts will be starched and pressed like this.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:47 AM

always
Old 11-14-2010, 06:56 AM

I press all steps of the process. It mkes my seams easier to match, lets the seams lay flat, gives me a true measurement for adding borders. Yes it is hard to press finished quilt top befor sandwiching but it makes it easier to pin and end result will have less wrinkles. I also ppress the backing. If you press as you go then you do not have to press each seam before sandwiching.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:29 AM
Power Poster

Ipress as I go along and also at the end. Less chance of wrinkles at the end before I sandwich.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:48 AM

Sometimes I iron, sometimes I do not.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:02 AM

hi everyone how are you today? well i have a problem i am making a king size quilt and really dont have the room to spread it outand to get around it to put the needles in to it then i am worry about how i will get it into my machine to put it together help linda marshall