Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you iron your quilt tops before..

Yes, and it is one of my least favorite tasks. I dread that final ironing and getting all the seams in the right place.

Between Frankfurt and Heidelberg, Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by chattykathy17
    I press every step of the way. Each seam, each block when done, each time I put blocks together to a row, etc. It just gives it a crisp look.
    Me, too, and this enables me to do something I call creative pressing :lol: at least it looks more like matching corners afterwards.

I have been told that I could just put everything together and then press. I tried that on 2 rows and did not like the looks of it.
    I finger press the seams as I go, and then press.
    After I am all done, I go over the quilt and see if there is anything that needs touch up or stray threads.

I am doing a beginners bagello quilt now and alot of seams and, wanting them to lay as flat as possible

Kas
    I do, but not after I have marked them. So I have to make sure to keep from putting any hard creases in a marked top. My mom's Double Wedding Ring is an example. It has been marked for months! I have had it hanging over the guest bathroom shower curtain rod which was a pain! I had to move it every time one of the kids needed a bath. But I am almost done quilting it, so that pain is over!

Blog Entries
    I do, it helps seams to lie flat, the top to lay more square too.
    I understand the need not to if it goes on a LA though... :D:D:D

Bearisgray must be related to me. I do everything she does.

It depends. If I sandwich the quilt immediately after piecing, I will press the seams as I go. If the top spends a few months in a drawer I will give it a good pressing.

Yes I do.

Blog Entries
    Haven't finished one yet. I'll let you know. I do press as I piece, though.

I always press--even queen or king--two or better yet, three,ironing boards help a lot!

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    I do too.

I press almost more than I sew , just makes for fewer mistakes in the end results.

I do this too, I find it finishes of very nicely and easier to quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltmaker
    I press every step of the way. Each seam, each block when done, each time I put blocks together to a row, etc. It just gives it a crisp look. The last two tops I took to the quilter, she loved it.
    Yes, I do this also....makes it so much easier to check for those stray threads and flatten the seams correctly which makes it so much easier to quilt your sandwich correctly.

Always iron (and I'm no fan of it).

I press everything, each and every step of the way!

Yep, I'm a presser too.

Blog Entries
    Agree with ChattyKathy: I press at every step, and square up each block
    before adding any sashings/cornerstones/setting in rows, and adding borders.
    Saves so much frustration later.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltmaker
    I press every step of the way. Each seam, each block when done, each time I put blocks together to a row, etc. It just gives it a crisp look. The last two tops I took to the quilter, she loved it.
    Yes, I do this also....makes it so much easier to check for those stray threads and flatten the seams correctly which makes it so much easier to quilt your sandwich correctly.
    ditto for me. I press at every step and always press my quilt tops before sandwiching.

I press at each and every step. I learned to have a neat top every seam had to be pressed before you sewed over top of it again. A good finger pressing will work but I prefer to use the actual iron. I simply wouldn't think of doing it any other way. I have worked on group quilts. I wasn't Speedy Gonzales because of my attention to measuring and pressing details but then my sections actually ended up the measure they were supposed to be. I also believe the attention to detail helps to keep a quilt square and minimizes lettuce edges.

I don't use an ironing board. I have a home manufactured iron table approx 27"x 54". The only place the iron board gets used is to catch the gravity pull when I machine quilt or piece large tops.

Most longarmers ask that the top be pressed, threads be trimmed, etc. before they get it for quilting. There is nothing magical about the longarm that makes the seams lie flat. However, if the back is wrinkled, I have found that I don't have to press it (except at the seams) because I can easily get the wrinkles out by spraying very lightly with water when it is stretched on the frame.

I press at every step during piecing, again when the blocks are put together, and a final press if necessary before quilting.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I use Best Press and press each piece as I sew and then the whole top before quitling. I like the crispy look and clean. To each his own. Just like I do not prewash and have never had trouble and use shout color grabber and it comes out ok too. I took Grannyp70 a half gallon of Best Press today and she is hooked. Of course we are working on the Farmers wife blocks and they are small so really helps.

I press before and after.

Banned
    I press each step and starch before cutting fabric and starch the top after it is together and also starch the backing. Makes the quilt go together nicely and make quilting go so much smoother.I try to keep my seams pressed all the correct direction and that make my quilting go so much smoother to.

I would rather spend the extra few minutes ironing the quilt top and backing, rather than having to spend the time removing the stitches.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast