Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you jump in the Middle and work your way out? >

Do you jump in the Middle and work your way out?

Do you jump in the Middle and work your way out?

Old 02-28-2010, 01:53 PM
bkb

The quilt I am working with has a large(size of a queen size bed top less pillow space) medallion in it . out side the medallion are 2 rows of wide sashing (the drop) I guess, I could set my machine on its longest stitch and 'baste' an x and a + to stabilize it , then go to the middle of the 9 patch medallion and begin. Does this seem reasonable?
Old 02-28-2010, 02:00 PM
Power Poster

I have done many that size. I used basting spray and started from the middle out. And I basted around the outside edge because if I had any problems thats where they were. Good luck and have fun.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:20 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Wills' grammy
The quilt I am working with has a large(size of a queen size bed top less pillow space) medallion in it . out side the medallion are 2 rows of wide sashing (the drop) I guess, I could set my machine on its longest stitch and 'baste' an x and a + to stabilize it , then go to the middle of the 9 patch medallion and begin. Does this seem reasonable?
You have to baste the entire quilt well before you ever begin quilting, so adding an additional basting "x" seems unnecessary.

The "x" i described applies to most machine quilting patterns. However, if you are planning to machine quilt starting at the center because of the medallion motif, then what I described no longer applies. The whole purpose of starting at a middle edge rather than in the middle of the quilt is so you don't have to worry about hiding your stops and starts.

With a medallion, you will have to figure out how to hide your stops and starts since you will be starting in the center of the entire quilt. This is unnecessary if you are machine quilting cross-hatching, or an all-over stipple, or any other pattern that includes borders; in that case, you can still work from the middle out, but it should be from a middle edge to another middle edge.

This is harder to explain than to do!
Old 03-02-2010, 08:26 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by susiequilt
I have heard of a technique where you cut the batting in 3rds.
Place one piece of batting in the sandwich in the center of the top and bottom and quilt that. Makes it easier to just have to get fabric top and bottom under the arm.
After quilting that to with an inch of the end of the batting then take it off the machine and butt up the next piece of batting to the batting already quilted and make a sandwich there and quilt that then do the same for the last piece of batting. Adhesive spray would be a big help.

I'm going to try it someday but it sounds doable for my short arm machine.
There was a recent thread about this method. Here is the link to that thread:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-38246-1.htm
Old 03-02-2010, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by susiequilt
I have heard of a technique where you cut the batting in 3rds.
Place one piece of batting in the sandwich in the center of the top and bottom and quilt that. Makes it easier to just have to get fabric top and bottom under the arm.
After quilting that to with an inch of the end of the batting then take it off the machine and butt up the next piece of batting to the batting already quilted and make a sandwich there and quilt that then do the same for the last piece of batting. Adhesive spray would be a big help.

I'm going to try it someday but it sounds doable for my short arm machine.
Now here's an interesting idea.

Think I'll wait for someone else to try it first, so now am eagerly awaiting feedback.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Marcia
When I am quilting on my (short arm) machine, I quilt any horizontal or vertical lines in the quilt that will help stabilize (usually they are in the ditch). Then I can quilt any block I want to, knowing the my backing is not going to shift.
This had worked for me as well.