Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you keep a quilt journal? >

Do you keep a quilt journal?

Do you keep a quilt journal?

Old 04-24-2010, 05:29 AM

I started keeping a quilt journal about a year after I started quilting in late 2004. But it was only this year that I started keeping several pieces of information. I have had 2 requests for patterns from this board, one for a pattern from a couple of years ago when I only journaled, my name, person I gave it to, date started and finished and name of quilt. The other pattern was one I had made recently and I had listed not only the previous information, but also the name of the book I found it in, the name of the pattern and what page it was on. My first thought was Yeah! I can give her all the info she needs to find this pattern. Just thought this might help someone else to find what they want, when they want it.

If you don't keep track of quilts you make I highly recommend you do. It is fun to look back and see my first quilts. I also try to get a photo of the finished quilt in the journal. But sometimes I forget
Old 04-24-2010, 05:32 AM

I don't keep a detailed journal, but I do keep a picture with brief description of each one and who it was made for.
Old 04-24-2010, 05:39 AM

I keep a journal for the quilts I make nad the ones I repair for others or quilt for others. I also put small pieces of scraps from the individual quilt in a plastic baggie on the same page so if I have repairs later, I have fabric. Name of pattern, fabric, etc. I love to journal. I can look back on who and what I made them for. Also gives an idea to my children at my passing what was on my mind for each quilt and who has it.
Old 04-24-2010, 05:40 AM

I'm pretty good at doing it. I buy pretty little jornals at the $1 section in Michaelsl and if I have it in EQ 6 it allows me to make notes there. I also make sure I take a photo of all my quilts.
Old 04-24-2010, 05:51 AM

You have been reading my mind I think. I so much wish I had kept even a list and photo of my projects throughout the years. There is no way to remember them all. I would really enjoy that information now.
It is never to late to start and I recognize my need to have the information. My Mother-in-law did keep a log of who she crocheted afghans for (gifted them). It was amazing to see page, after page, after page.
Yes, I am in favor of your suggestion and recommendation.
I am going to use this post to help me know what information I want to keep in my log. Good job!
Old 04-24-2010, 05:51 AM
Power Poster

I have a file in my computer (actually it is in the flash drive) with the information about each quilt. This is an example of one of them.

The Sixty-Ninth
“Lincoln’s Legacy”

A Log Cabin. It’s sort of scrappy. Initially I read the instructions wrong and ended up making two blocks the same, so I did not attempt to make each block different. It has 30 blocks, many similar to some others. I was just wanting to use up some of my blue fabric, as I have so much of it. This was given to my husband, Jim for Christmas.

Size -- 59 ˝ x 71 ˝
Completed -- September 1, 2009

Sometimes I put even more information than this. I always figure someone a hundred years from now might be interested.

I also have another computer file with photographs of the front, back, label and close ups of the stitching. If I give the quilt away, I request a picture of the person with the quilt also.

I am very lucky that I remembered to take at least one picture of every quilt that I have made.
Old 04-24-2010, 06:03 AM

I knew I would get some good ideas when I woke up thinking of this. I am going to start photographing my labels, etc.

Need to keep my camera with my quilting notions! My girls already think half my kitchen supplies are in with the quilting supplies!
Old 04-24-2010, 06:06 AM
Power Poster

Pollyv9, I am in Rock Island (about 18 miles SW of Fort Smith, AR) . Are you close?
Old 04-24-2010, 06:27 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Boston1954
Pollyv9, I am in Rock Island (about 18 miles SW of Fort Smith, AR) . Are you close?

Big OOPS!!! I JUST now saw the word City after Oklahoma. I guess you are a fair piece away from here..... :roll:
Old 04-24-2010, 09:35 AM

I have never thought of it. I am going to start today. Thanks for the inspiration.