Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Do you know this pattern?

Do you know this pattern?

I am looking for the name of this pattern. When I found it is was called Sonnies Play House. I would like to find a tutorial so that I can make a block.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks. I love that site too. Spend lots of time on it! I looked but it isn't there. I have been trying all day to figure out how to make it. I am new at quilting so I don't know a lot of techniques yet.

It's from the 7/10/1935 issue of the Kansas City Star and the name is Sonnie's Play House, like you said.

It's on point, so if you turn it with the x as a + you could easily figure out how to make it and then just trim it to size. Make sense?
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Thank you ghost rider. I think I do understand. I will try it in the morning. It's better than tilting my head to see it. I have drawn many drafts but keep getting confused. I am going to figure it out! I am new at quilting, just a could of months, and have been making blocks of different designs to learn. Having a wonderful time!!

Do you know if I start in the middle and work out? I have been trying to start at the top. I also realized that the points of the triangles will be cut off if I stop there. So I am thinking I have calculated the size of the triangles wrong. The way I have been looking at it there would not be the 1/4 " allowance. Back to the drawing board first thing in the morning!

Watch out for bias edges on the outside of the block. It'd be safer with setting and corner triangles (the outer white pieces), but I'm not sure if that's beyond your skill level right now. The pattern is available, but not by itself...only in books with other KCS block patterns.
    https://www.pickledishstore.com/categories.php?CID=105 (24.95 for 25 blocks - vol 8)
    http://www.quilterbydesign.com/kansascitystar.html (15.95 for 99 blocks - vol 4)
    Last edited by ghostrider; 11-02-2012 at 09:00 PM.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Power Poster
    Draw it all out on graph paper to get the block measurements right. Once you have the measurements of the sewn together block, you can cut appart the pieces and add seam allowances to get the fabric cutting sizes. I would start by piecing the center 9 patch. Then add the 2, 3 bar sections to the 9 patch. Then I would piece the next 2 rows of the bar sections and the trangle/squares and sew them into rows. I would then attach the 2 rows to the center row. You will now have the center section done. I would then piece and add the pieced triangle sections to form the block.

I think you're correct that you need to start in the middle and work out. If you ignore the 4-piece corner triangles, the center of the block is a 9-patch with three types of units. The center is a 9-patch, the corners are HST, and the remaining units are rail fence.

When you make several of the complete blocks and lay them out, you'll effectively have two different 9-patch blocks alternating and on point. The other 9-patch will be plain squares with white in the center and on the corners, and the blue and red fabric in the remaining four spaces.

I would assemble the quilt with the two different 9-patch blocks, and use setting triangles on the ends of my rows. There are calculators and tutorials to tell you what size to make your setting triangles. If you want to do it exactly like it is drawn here, you can just make the 4-piece corner units with a square, two QSTs and one HST. Either way, you'll have to decide what size you want your block to be; I'd start in the middle again and make the measurements easy for the smallest units first.

Hope this helps,

Darren

P.S. I'd like to see this one going together; would you mind posting progress pics?

Hopefully someone with EQ7 can help you out, it's fairly easy to draw on paper, as I quickly did it and all the elements are basic but it's the measurements that you would need to get you cutting.

Here it is worked up as a twelve inch block in EQ7. Let me know if you'd like it resized!

Blog Entries
    Thank you so much! It is a very attractive block and I can see it in many different colorways. Black, white & gray come to mind immediately!

Quote Originally Posted by LyndaOH View Post
    Here it is worked up as a twelve inch block in EQ7. Let me know if you'd like it resized!
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Thank you so much everyone. Yes, I will post progress pictures. I am so glad I found this site! Everyone is so helpful.

Thank you Lynda. This is very generous of you! I wanted it to be a 12".

Blog Entries
    Lynda - you're speedy! Just wanted to share a small quilt with 4 of these blocks. I love the secondary designs coming together in the center.

It is really pretty and there are a lot of possibilities! Turning two of the blocks 1/4 turn would be interesting, as would adding different sashings.

Have fun with it!

Wow. That looks great with 4. I really like the secondary patterns it makes too. I am still making sample blocks so I am going to put this on my list for when graduate to lap robes!

I started to cut the pieces out already. Can't wait to piece it together. I realized that in one of my blocks I had done the set triangles but didn't have a reference. I went on line and found a tutorial. I am a happy puppy!

Here it is in some fun colors. Can you tell I'm a purple girl?

Love the colors! I really like purple too.

wow lots of patterns....cool
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51 View Post
    Try this site for the pattern, I love going there and looking around.

http://www.quilterscache.com/QuiltBlocksGalore.html

Billy

LyndaOH that is a very striking purple mock up of a quilt. I can see myself even making it, and maybe soon. Many thanks for using EQ7 to help Sparkling Lake with her problem. I have never seen that block before either.
    Thanks again

Thank you,I am also going to try my hand at this block.

An easy way,for beginners, is to draw it up on grid paper and just remember that you have to add a quarter of an inch to the sides of each piece for seam allowances.

thanks so much

Blog Entries
    It looks like you could break it down a little further as well, it might make it simpler to understand. seeing it as a whole quilt ( I love the purple) with the secondary pattern, I could see a nine patch, then a nine patch using the rail block and Half Square Triangles with the smaller 9 patch in the center. It would be easier than using all the triangles on the edge of each block. Does that make sense to anyone else?
    ​We can't help everyone, But everyone can help someone.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast