Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Do you know??

How much on quilt fabric and supplies? Who cares? It keeps me out of the bars :-D , from seeing a shrink, from redoing my whole house, and it makes me happy!
    I don't really drink other than a twice weekly glass of wine, smoke, gamble, seldom go out to eat, buy expensive shoes I don't need,and I have saved to pay for the nursing home when that becomes necessary.
    I do spoil friends and family and give plenty to church charity. It is nice to be able to give a little something to myself.

I use quicken for my household finances. I set up an account "quilting" and lo and behold I spent a little over two grand last year. Most of what I made, I gave away. Quilting is not an inexpensive hobby!

I don't really want to know. I keep trying to cut back on spending but when you post sales, I have to check them out and I usually find something to add to my stash. My DH said he wished he had a dollar for every time I said 'I wasn't going to buy any fabric this month. Then I said but there was a sale.' he would be rich. LOL

Power Poster
    I have a journal that I keep track of what I bought, how many yards, price, date and store. Then record when a quilt is started, fabrics used, size, completed and cost of quilting. It is fun to go back and look at this from years ago.

I run Quicken, so I know exactly where my money goes & what I spend it on. Being retired, I can spend more on my gardening & quilting as I don't have to buy clothes.

OH, Dear Lord in Heaven help me I'm having a heart attack. Please don't ask that question. I really have been bad this year. I know I dropped over 400 just this weekend at the Hampton Roads Quilt Festival. I could have easily let another 400 loose.

Blog Entries
    I don't realy care, becausee I have my own money, but my Hubby doesn't care either in fact he incourages me to buy what I want.

Blog Entries
    I don't want to know...I just consider it a hobby, I enjoy it thoroughly, and I deserve it. Only if I were starving would I consider not buying fabric, maybe for a week or so. lol

Me too. My husband has a Lot of hardwood, and other kinds,
    so much that he will never be able to use it all. I don't complain
    about that and he doesn't care how much fabric I have. One
    thing, I am a prolific quilter, so I'm using most all the time.
    People used to ask me how much it cost to make a quilt.l I'd
    say"oh it's kinda like making Christmas candy, you really don't
    want to know"

ohhhhhh no do I have to think about that ??????? lol smiles..........

I agree. I think it is better not to know what I spend.

Some of it I do because I have a quilting business so I need those figures for income tax. I guess this year I should keep track of everything I spend that's involved with my quilting.

I can tell you almost to the penny. I do nothing but quilts for charities and keep track for IRS records. Some years it was pretty shocking, especially to my husband.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spartan quilter
    just how much you spend in a year on our craft? I have never figured it out, but this year, I am trying to keep a record of what I spend for material and notions. If I would buy another machine, that doesn't go into the mix, because that is a long term investment. Has any one else ever kept track of what they spent over a year on material and notions? Just curious

And I just went to my expense sheet where I have kept track for the past 2 months, and maybe I will quit, because I added it up and was shocked. Some things are better left unknown
    Now see? You just educated yourself! ROFLMBO!

Blog Entries
    I don't want to know. As long as I am able to buy, I will, when the time comes that I can't, then I will have my stash to fall back on.

Quote Originally Posted by spartan quilter
    just how much you spend in a year on our craft? I have never figured it out, but this year, I am trying to keep a record of what I spend for material and notions. If I would buy another machine, that doesn't go into the mix, because that is a long term investment. Has any one else ever kept track of what they spent over a year on material and notions? Just curious

And I just went to my expense sheet where I have kept track for the past 2 months, and maybe I will quit, because I added it up and was shocked. Some things are better left unknown
    What we don't know can't be held against us is my motto. So no I don't keep track. After all I'm worth it even if only in my mind. lol.

Blog Entries
    Funny you ask! When I received an order from an online store yesterday my hubby asked me how much I saved. Not how much I spent. You see. I am a Canadian wintering in Texas and I buy most of my fabric down here (about 40 yards so far) because it is often 1/4 to 1/3 of the price.
    Ok, I also bought 10 big spools of thread, strip tube ruler, crazy drunkards path ruler for a class, a fabulous sewing table from Leah Day along with a slider, bobbin washers and gloves. That should do me for the year as I have a big stash. Last year, at home I bought only 3 yards all year and that was for a quilt for a patient at the hospital where I volunteer.
    Bottom line, I have to know how much I spent for customs and I am still happy with the figure.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3