Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you label all quilts? >

Do you label all quilts?

Do you label all quilts?

Old 01-15-2024, 01:58 AM

I bought some labels on etsy with name, town, and washing instructions. I pop them in between the back of the quilt and the binding for most things I make, whether for charity or to give as gifts. Works for me. I also have a notebook that I use to write details about each quilt I make - this is for "posterity."
Old 01-15-2024, 03:16 AM

Yes, I make labels of all kinds for my quilts. I make different ones for baby quilts...the label is large enough to be a pocket that I place on a bottom corner on the back of the quilt. I place a book or a baby toy in the pocket. I found a panel that had various quilt labels you cut out and fill in the info. I used these premade labels for wall-hangings or my quilt challenges throughout the years. Sometimes, I use an orphan block to use as a label and attach it to the back of the quilt. One time I used the selvage as my label because it had a cute saying and fun shapes that showed the colors in the fabric.
Old 01-15-2024, 04:17 AM

I like my quilts to be used as reversible as well, and don't want a label showing if I decide I want the back of the quilt showing. I used to label them, but stopped when I flipped my quilt over to use the back side as the top on my bed one day. To me, it's so much nicer to not have the label showing, no matter how nicely it was done.

Now, I don't label. I just take pictures of the finished quilt and keep them in a journal, with information about the quilt, as in the name of the quilt, what pattern, or block used, when started and finished, plus any other information I want to add. My quilt journal is basically for me. I like to look through it from time to time at the quilts I have made and either kept or given away.

Last edited by quiltsfor; 01-15-2024 at 04:20 AM.
Old 01-15-2024, 04:33 AM

Once upon a time I labeled all my quilts. Ones I kept, or went to family memebers were printed on muslin on my Epson printer, cut to size and the written on with a fine line permanent marker. Ones I made for Project Linus always had a small red and white label (1 1/2" x 5/8") that simply said "You are loved" and had a heart on them. I had then made by a online company called "Wunderlabel" at a reasonable price. I still have a few left.
Old 01-15-2024, 04:52 AM

I label every quilt I make except donation quilts. I give to Project Linus and they do not want personal labels. My quilts go to friends and family and they may pass them on either by death or by purpose and I want the quilts history to follow it. Are may quilts museum quality? No, but they are my creativity, materials, time and my pleasure. I work under the idea that artists always sign their work.

My labels are hand written small triangles tucked into the binding on a corner.... Recipient, maker, date and/or occasion and my location.

Last edited by WMUTeach; 01-15-2024 at 04:56 AM.
Old 01-15-2024, 04:53 AM

I sign my name and date the lower left corner with an archival pen. To be honest, I make quilts to be used and most everyone in my family has used their quilts. I doubt those quilts will be in a usable state once anyone who has one has left this world. I simply don't worry about leaving a legacy of quilts.
Old 01-15-2024, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
I just finished a king size quilt for our bedroom. I rarely make quilts to keep so wondering if I should put a label on it anyway.
I label them all using a product like Printed Treasures. I've started putting extra things on the label such as the batting used and the size because it's helpful to know. Every time one comes back from a quilt show another label is added with information on that event. The quilt is not finished until the label and hanging sleeve (if needed) are sewn in.
Old 01-15-2024, 07:41 AM

Most all my quilts are gifts to others so yes, I add a label with a scriptural saying or verse that I hear they liked, add their names and the year they receive it from me as sometimes it takes me a couple years to finish it. I use a square piece of fabric and draw a triangle going from the center to one corner and embroider the words using my combo machine. Then I fold it at the center to make it into an actual triangle and add it to one corner as I attach the binding so there's only one edge I need to hand stitch down. I usually add a strip of Steam-a-Seam just about 1/4" down from the fold so it won't move on me.

I use Embird to make up the label using a triangle outline I made up so I know the words will fit into the space I have to work with, then remove the triangle outline before I stitch it out.

Last edited by Snooze2978; 01-15-2024 at 07:43 AM. Reason: adding info
Old 01-16-2024, 12:43 PM

@Buckeye quilter you know I have lots of treasures from Aunts. Including paintings. I love the stories behind handmade things.

For the OP I always label my quilts and hand sewn small landscape artwork incase someone is interested but also to remind myself what I’ve done and when. It gives me closure to project.
Old 01-16-2024, 02:57 PM
Power Poster

For fast quilts we use a lot I sign directly on the quilt with a Sharpie. Some are very old and still readable. For nicer quilts or large bed size I use a sewn in label with my name and date. That's all I put on it. Some of my quilting friends write a page for the label.