Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you label all quilts? >

Do you label all quilts?

Do you label all quilts?

Old 01-14-2024, 04:38 AM

Default Do you label all quilts?

I just finished a king size quilt for our bedroom. I rarely make quilts to keep so wondering if I should put a label on it anyway.
Old 01-14-2024, 04:52 AM

I rarely label any of the many quilts I have made and gifted or kept over the years, but it would be a good habit to get into. I do take pictures of each quilt I make and write all of the information on the back of the picture and also in a journal, but I should really be putting labels on the backs of quilts as well.
Old 01-14-2024, 04:58 AM

Yes, indeed, you should label the quilts! I have inherited some and wish they could speak and give their history. Your grands will appreciate!
Old 01-14-2024, 05:13 AM

I don't even sign mine anymore, I'm a lazy bum, but all I ever did was ink in sig/date/city/state in the lower left corner.
Old 01-14-2024, 06:28 AM

Yes! Not only for posterity, buy in case of loss or being stolen, great identifier. Lostquilts.com has a lot of info about that. I usually include name of the quilt, machine/hand pieced, machine/hand quilted by my name, city, state & year. I have some older quilts that weren’t labeled & I wish they were so I would know who had made them & when.
Old 01-14-2024, 06:50 AM

I don't label most of them. Just the ones given for a specific reason, like an anniversary or a wedding or graduation. I just make utility quilts for the most part and I think they are not worth the labeling.... ummm...maybe I have to rethink that. One of my favorite quilts was made by my grandmother per family legend. She made it out of dark colored wool coat scraps in a sort of crazy quilt way without the fancy stitching but did put a bit of whimsy into it like a rabbit made of a dark gray a simple butterfly and a little caterpiller made out of lighter colored circles. It saw use, used in a house heated by a wood stove in the woods of northern Wisconsin. It would be nice if that had a label on it.
Old 01-14-2024, 07:15 AM

I just gave up and now I draw a small heart in black marker in one corner on the back. done!
Old 01-14-2024, 07:19 AM

Yes, in consideration of anyone who might find it in the future. The exception is charity quilts, which I hear one isn't supposed to label. Maybe someone can address that.
Old 01-14-2024, 07:30 AM

When it is for a special occasion like a wedding I do make a label. Mostly I don't.

I do keep my own documentation in physical notebooks/photo albums. Started out as photographs back in the day. There are a couple of years that aren't very documented at all when I didn't have a working camera. Going through the albums I have found projects I forgot about. I often include things like actual fabric samples and templates or quilting designs or whatever. Sealed baggies for the win for that sort of thing!

Now that I have a color printer I should print out some of the pictures and start a new notebook. I do have several backups of my digital images but no hard copies.
Old 01-14-2024, 06:58 PM

I don't label any of my quilts. I don't have children so there is no one who will remember me 10 years after I'm gone. That statement is not made out of bitterness, but just a fact of life. There will be no grandchildren or great-grandchildren who have any curiosity about me. I make quilts for my multitude of nieces and nephews and maybe some of those will be handed down. If so, they will be valued because of who handed it down, not who made it. It's actually a little liberating knowing that I'm not leaving any kind of legacy. I don't print out or label photos because no one will ever look at them, but me. I don't label quilts or keep any records of them. I don't have to keep any memories alive, or any traditions for the next generation because I won't have any. Again, this is not bitterness, it's just not a necessity in my life.