Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Do you label your quilts?

I printed out a pretty border on the printer fabric and then wrote in the details with a fabric pen. I just looked at it and the border has almost disappeared. It was not exposed to light. It would be a shame if printed details faded from view like this border. This one was done in February 2007.

Blog Entries
    I too add a label. One I made for my son reads.
    For my son (name).
    You've always had my heart.
    This was stitched with
    loving thoughts of you.
    Loveya, Mom
    Xmas 2010
    made by (my name)
    XMAS 2010.
    I printed it on fabric paper from my computer, put it on wonder under and then on the back corner of my quilt. Stitched around it with invisible thread.I also add the name of my quilter Charlene Blaine

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying_V_Goddess
    Funny you called me the chosen one considering the Legend of Zelda banner in my signature. lol.

There was talk of a snow storm blowing through, but I have yet to see a single snowflake today. Snowed a little bit yesterday. It all melted by this morning, though.
    Now I am up in Neillsville and we didn't come to BRF tonight just because of the ice/rain/snow. I headed out, my mom saw that I was really not happy driving in that crud and told me I could turn around. When I tried to turn into a driveway I slid right past it and said ok well maybe we will just use this one up here!! LOL!!

Quilt labels for Wedding quilts

Thanks for the great ideas. I just went to put my friend's wedding invitation on the printer to scan it, and voila! I discover that there is graphic on the back side of the invitation with their names, the wedding date and a heart. That's going to be my label.

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I try to get all of them labeled--although right now I have 4 setting upstairs for a guild show and none of labels! I usually put:
    name of recipient
    my name as maker & sometimes my town/state
    date made

occasionally I'll put something additional. I've printed from my computer and sewn on, hand written (saw something about that being a ice touch for future generations)and sewn on, embroidered by hand right onto the back or back of binding and when I give a t-shirt quilt to nieces and nephews to take to college, I usually try to also put their name and hometown in the quilting just in case someone steals it in a group living arrangement.

What about charity or donation quilts? Do you label them too?

Still working on that first quilt, so I haven't. Yet...

I love elephants, and wanted to make a label incorporating them (it was an elephant or a dragon, lol). I have an elephant I created using "Made with (Lov)e" and then I'll put my name underneath. I have the elephant all figured out, but need to find a way to turn the "LOV" into "water spray" (the "E" in love is the tip of the elephant's trunk).

If anyone is creative and could help me out, I could post a photo!
    If your dreams don't scare you, they aren't big enough!

I like to put labels on quilts I make for family. I want them to know and maybe remember where it came from.

I believe in labels, but they intimidate me. I have seen such lovely and creative labels. My daughter-law hand embroiders clever and creative labels that take hours to make. I have printed labels on my printer and they are very ordinary--just the basic facts. I have also read that printer ink will fade to nothing with washing. I need to come up with something that looks great, but takes little time and is permanent. Forget about hand printing, I am not a calligrapher.

I've only made labels for a couple or three quilts that I've made. I do have some woven labels that say "Handmade by...." that I fold over & sew into the back side when I put on my binding on all of my quilts. At least that way they have a name of who made their quilt. I do need to learn how to make labels on my printer. I've had problems with that in the past & keep wasting those fabric sheets that go through the printer.

I always label my quilts:

"Name" of quilt
    My Name
    Date Made (usually the year I finished....yes I have some that are years in the making!)
    My Town and State

I also keep a notebook where I list everything I can about the quilt. What made me choose that particular pattern. Who designed the pattern. Snips of the fabrics and information about where purchased and when. Problems (or joys) I've had making the quilt. Who it is made for. Quilting pattern used. Hand or machine quilted (and by whom). Type of thread used (and information about it: manufacturer, weight, where purchased). Lastly, I take a few of photos of the quilt, front, back and close-ups. This notebook is for my own use and has come in handy when I've needed to buy more of a particular fabric, etc.

Hope this helps!
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

Our charity group has it own labels. I still label my Quilt Of Valor ones.

Below is one of my most common labels. I take a light fabric and fuse it to tear away interfacing. I create the label on my printer and then run the fabric through my printer, I tear off the interfacing and add a cool fabric border (an inch or so) on all sides. I take a piece of the quilt backing and place the two, right sides together and sew all the way around. I make a slit down the fabric BACK and turn it right side out and press well. I then take some 1/4" steam a seam lite and put it around the edges and fuse it to the back corner of the quilt, mostly to hold it in place a little. I then take some embroidery thread (matching or contrasting, depending on desired look) and do a blanket stitch around the edge to really attach it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sometimes I laugh so hard the tears run down my legs!

If I'm FMQing I like to stitch my name in a corner along with the date, if it's for the kiddos in my life I like to use a permanent quilt marker and put their name, my name, and a "love you" or other personal touch. For the quilt on my bed I stitched my hubby and my names and "I love you" in random places along with a date in the corner

Blog Entries
    When I add a label, I tend to put in in the bottom right-hand corner and I sew it into two sides along with the binding. The other two sides are folded over and I hand-sew them in.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

Blog Entries
    yes, I also like to make the label fit the personality of the quilt.

If I'm giving the quilt a a gift I'll embroider a quilt label using my embroidery machine. If its just a utility quilt for myself I'll use a fabric pen and write in one corner the date it was finished and my 1st name only. Sometimes I'll add the quilt pattern for future references in case I want to make another one or for someone else.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Babylock Ellegante, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Elna 945
    Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

Sad to see the labels on quilts that end up at the Goodwill or Salvation Army.

So I made a label for a quilt I gave as a gift for the first time ever. I printed off the label on Avery iron on trasfer paper and ironed it on a scrap of fabric and stitched it on to the back. The label included the name of the recipient, the date, the reason for the gift, and my name. The label got more attention then the quilt! (I don't know what that says about my quilting skills!) Based on this reaction, I'm going to label all quilts from now on!
    Happy quilting everybody!

I always label my quilts w/ the who it is made for, maybe a history - esp if i'm finishing g'ma's quilt(including when she lived) for g'daughter or whoever. I may include if it is machiine pieced/hand pieced, handquilted..Then of course the date finished, my name and where i live.

I would love to see labels on quilts that i find at goodwill - we all love to know the stories behind these quilts!
    my name is becca and i'm a quilt-a-holic :-)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2