Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do You Let Your Pets in Your Sewing Room and, If You Do, How Do They Help? >

Do You Let Your Pets in Your Sewing Room and, If You Do, How Do They Help?

Do You Let Your Pets in Your Sewing Room and, If You Do, How Do They Help?

Old 02-26-2011, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by cacarte
Love the "bling" headgear!!
Very stylish.
they were in their halloween costumes. Molly's was a cowgirl hat. :lol:
Old 02-26-2011, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by mar32428
Originally Posted by cmw0829
I'm always mystified when I see a "for sale" ad (here or elsewhere) stating that the animals aren't allowed in the sewing room. How do you keep them out?

If I tried to keep my cats out of the room, I'd hear nothing but wailing and scratching! They have the full run of the room and often try to help.

My avatar likes to supervise my ironing and help the thread move off the spool as I sew. She likes to squeeze under the closed cabinet and make sure the foot control is OK. My other cat just likes to lay on the chair.
I have an animal gate across my sewing room door. If I let the cats in, there's cat hair everywhere. My little dog isn't interested.
Keep a spray bottle of water handy Chase them out by spritzing them! They wii get the idea. Cats have good memories!
You also might try the scent of orange or lemon in one of those wall plug scent vaporisers? Cats hate citrus!
Old 02-26-2011, 11:17 AM

I could not possibly do any quilting without the constant supervision of my dog, Casey. He is a great multi-tasker. He can nap and supervise at the same time He is a s sweet, 12 yo lasa apso.
A hint...Keep him trimmed. His hair, if it sweeps the floor can pick up stuff.
My car mechanic used to have a lasa-apso.. The dog clanked as it ran about the shop because it had picked up so many screws, nuts and bolts in its fur.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:31 AM

Casey is a mop dog without a mop. He goes to the doggie beauty parlor every couple of months to maintain his short hair style.

The groomer calls it his "Teddy Bear" cut.
Having to constantly groom a dog with long hair would significantly cut into my quilting time.

I have attached a photo of him in his favorite supervising position. He is "on the job".

Cindy
Attached Thumbnails attachment-118978.jpe  
Old 02-26-2011, 11:32 AM

OOPs!! NOT his supervising photo but cute anyway.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:31 PM

Casey is a mop dog without a mop. He goes to the doggie beauty parlor every couple of months to maintain his short hair style.

The groomer calls it his "Teddy Bear" cut.
Having to constantly groom a dog with long hair would significantly cut into my quilting time.

I have attached a photo of him in his favorite supervising position. He is "on the job".

Cindy
I love apsos! What a beauty he is! What a lovely friend you have! Thank you so much!
(I forgot to say, I used to go to my mechanics place and trim his dog's fur to take out the nuts and bolts...The first time the mechanic was amazed at the large handful I gave him- He had not noticed the clanking! We had a good deal going - I checked his dog - and he checked my car!)
Old 02-26-2011, 12:35 PM

My dog, Shane (Spongedog Furpants), English Foxhound, lays on the floor directly in front of my ironing board so I can't get to it without disturbing him. Periodically he gets up and nudges me to remind me to take him out. Wouldn't have it any other way!
Old 02-26-2011, 12:36 PM

We have a dog that usually stays out of my sewing room, except at 5:00 for his dinner. I have no clue as to how he knows it's his dinner time. But, I hear this low growl, turn around, and there he is! :wink:
Old 02-26-2011, 12:47 PM

There's something about a closed door and a cat, they just can't STAND it. When I open the door to the sewing room, my cat is the first one in it. I can't tell you how many times I've shut him in there because I didn't know he was in there. Now we account for his whereabouts before we go to sleep at night.

Here's how my Buddy helps!

And here's how Floppy helps (my Avatar). She has a doggy bed in the sewing room but I guess it's not comfortable enough.

Floppy
[ATTACH=CONFIG]121962[/ATTACH]

Buddy, and YES, that is a project ON the machine that I was working on and stepped away from for a few minutes
[ATTACH=CONFIG]121963[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-121957.jpe   attachment-121958.jpe  
Old 02-26-2011, 03:24 PM

I was just sewing the binding on a baby quilt and missing my recently deceased cat who always helped with anything that dangled....like binding hanging off the edge of the table. Once I couldn't figure out what my binding was hung up on ....looked down and it had fallen to the floor and become a cat bed! Gee I miss that guy.