Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you make Bed Runners? >

Do you make Bed Runners?

Do you make Bed Runners?

Old 11-11-2010, 05:38 AM

Grann of 6 I worked full time for over 40 years so I'd have "too much time on my hands" now. I sew everyday-something I could never do before. I'm always willing to try a new pattern or fabric and making smaller items than quilts gives me this opportunity rather than making a larger quilt and not liking the pattern or fabric or technique. I think small items like table or bed runners are the perfect choice for this.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:54 AM

I have never made one but do use them. I have a crocheted piano cover that I use and since it is so long, I lay it corner to corner or down the middle, depending on my mood. Also, I have the table runner that was made for the swap. Colors match my bedroom exactly. It is lovely across the foot of the bed over my maroon bedspread.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:01 AM

I made one in bright colors because my down comforter is white. I pieced it in around the world pattern then used wool batting and it is just right to keep the feet warm and not heavy like cotton batting. Love it.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:01 AM

I am currently making a yo yo bed cover (size undetermined at this time). I think a yo yo bed runner would be beautiful. Mine is scrappy so will go with any decor, and a scrappy bed runner could be used the same way. These are very time consuming and not everyone's cup of tea. However, after I saw a friend's, I fell in love with the look and just had to do one.

For a traditional look, you could blend a bed runner color with the comforter, spread, or whatever you have on the bed. Would really dress up a bed & your room. You will receive many oohs & aahs!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-11-2010, 06:12 AM
nab

I have been seeing patterns for them also. Thought I might try one. They would be great for pets. Mine are always on the bed.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:27 AM

This is a GREAT idea! I saw many years on Simply Quilts the option of making these for the pillows or the foot of the bed - and then I promptly forgot about it :(

I need one for my bed. Mostly because when I take a nap, I need covers, but I don't want to mess up the bed. This would be wonderful to pull over my feet and lower legs and keep them warm (circulation issues make them always cold).

Thanks for reminding us of a wonderful idea!

Debbie in Austin
Old 11-11-2010, 06:36 AM

Not sure what that is...is it the quilt that usually lays at the foot of the bed??
Old 11-11-2010, 06:44 AM

I have made 2 of them. I use the one as a cover for the pillows and stand them up at the head of the bed, put the pillow cover over them and then scatter my decorative pillows in front of them. The first one had an embroidered center panel as it matched the embroidered quilt I had made which was not long enough to tuck under the pillows. The second, I used blocks in colors to match the decor and set them together with borders around to make it to the desired size. It is now a cover for my cedar chest.
Holiday designs sound like fun. Make the reverse for a different holiday and you have two in one.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:50 AM

I was at Thimbleberry Day the first week in November & the shop had a book on bed runners so I ordered one. They are very nice to change color & etc in your bedroom.
Am anxious to use the book. Also understand that a lot of hotels use them.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by stevendebbie25
I'm seeing more patterns for bed runners, nice idea, see them in hotels all the time. Does anyone make them here? This would be a nice way to change the 'holiday' in your bedroom with a runner, maybe pillow shams to match... room done in blue? Do Christmas in blue snowflakes to add to the bedrm. We do this for table runners, never gave bed runners much thought before.
Anyone?
I made this one for a friend last year for Christmas.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-123664.jpe   attachment-123665.jpe