Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you make charity quilts?

Yes all the time. And they are different sizes. My church quilt guild keeps a supply of quilts for babies being baptized or ill and lapsize quilts for adults. When we get a over abundance of quilts, we will donate them to the local childrens hospital or to one of the assisted living for seniors home. I also make quilts for "Quilt for Kids" foundation.

Very rewarding.

I help make 60"x 80" Quilts for Lutheran World Relief. We make squares or strips or whatever we can do with the fabric donated. I also do Blankets for Project Linus.For them I make smaller blankets using Fleece and crochet around for the border.I am having fun doing this and I made many Friends.

Twin size

We make all sizes in our church quilt project, mostly 68 x 84, some queen size, whatever the top sewer ends up with. 72 x 90 used to be standard but with donated fabrics, we make ours as close to that as possible.
    Ours go to anyone who needs a quilt. If it is for a secret auction or our sale we make queen and I make a king sized for a special auction each year. We use mostly donated fabric so use what we get to keep the costs down.

Carol J.

I usually make throws and crib quilts for charity and the size varys depending on the size block and border.
    IdahoSandy

Blog Entries
    I always make mine to fit a twin size bed 72x90.

Anywhere from a baby to queen. I don't like to make a queen as often as it costs too much to send out to be quilted.

Blog Entries
    I have a friend who is a nurse, I donate finished tops to her. She owns 2 quilting frames - one machine is computerized, so she can quilt 2 at a time. She can quilt 30-40 quilts a month, and most of them are for the "Passage Quilts" program - they go to terminally ill patients at a nearby hospital. When the patient passes on, the quilt is given to the family. You should see the thank-you notes - they made me cry like a baby. One 9 year old boy was losing his mom to breast cancer, and he picked out a quilt for her that had apples on it, because she liked apples. A male patient was depressed, but his spirits picked up when he saw a pieced quilt of cats - he really missed his cat. One of the women who now helps piece these quilts was the recipient of a Passage Quilt. Her brother had been ill and passed. Someone warmed up his quilt in the dryer, then brought it to her, still warm, wrapped it around her and told her it was a hug from her brother.

The quilts are about 45x60, large enough for a twin, but not too wide, so they don't interfere with the hospital bed mechanics.

I make and donate quilts to Riley Childrens hospital in Indy. They give to patients at that hospital and IU hospital. So lap size is great for kids or adults.

I make small ones (from 24" square) to twin for kids; and sometimes double/queen. Depending on the need.
    If someone has a fire, etc. then go accordingly.
    Mostly kid size and wheel chair sizes.

I do quilts for kids and also prayer quilts at church so they are mostly lap size

I do 45x6050x70 and40x50 for wheelchairs.I love scrappy quilts and use them to further my fmq learning curve.

Quote Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
    What size do you usually make?
    I usually do 46x70 for Project Linus for the bigger kids.

Annie

I make them for the babies at the local hospital (Texas) and military.

I make them for the babies at the local hospital (Texas) and military.

I cut 6" squares of 2 colors, sew them together, checkerboard style, 7 across and 9 down, then add a 3" (cut) border. This makes a very nice todler quilt about 44" x 55" and will fit on a 45" backing fabric. I quilt them on my longarm with a very simple, open pattern, then do the binding completely by machine. Very fast and sturdy.

The quilting panto is Paper Chase.
    Name:  Attachment-223501.jpe
Views: 10
Size:  110.8 KB

We do give away a lot of quilts to ladies here in Poland and in the area (I've posted before with pics). We have a lady and her mom (both retired--one is in her 60's and her mom is in her 80's) who make us baby quilts. I give them out each Christmas to poor ladies in the area along with a bag of diapers and other baby stuff.

And the ladies absolutely LOVE them. They are so pretty and unlike anything we have here.

So, for everyone else... I make twin size or bigger. I usually make twin size, but occasionally I try to make some queen sizes for a bigger bed--for two people. When using a panel, I usually just add borders around the edges of it (for example, Spiderman which start out 36x45) till it gets to be twin sized so that the children/young people can use them on their beds without their toes sticking out.

Here's the post from before for anyone who wants to see some of the ladies. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-84453-1.htm

Many of them have a very hard life, and we are glad to help them out. We just tie the quilts, though my goal this year is to learn to FMQ. However, my kids and I can tie a quilt in half an hour (of course, I've already put the thread through at that point, after layering it...)

My daughter trimming the batting after we finished tying this Spiderman twin sized charity quilt.
    Name:  Attachment-223506.jpe
Views: 9
Size:  65.9 KB

Ann, that makes a simple and nice looking quilt! Very pretty.

Annie

45 x 60, since I lose an inch on the selvage, I can add an inch or two for border and/or binding.

Whatever size it comes out. Ususally lap or throw size.

I make 44X60 approximate size. Our guild has the kits made up and we just sew the tops, layer and quilt. The are 5 blocks across and 7 down. Easy to do. We also do Baby quilts that are 36x36. Also, precut. We also do Quilts of Valor but those vary in size and are usually a larger size. Making anything for charity makes me feel good. It is so appreciated and needed.

I like to make them around 40" wide so I don't have to piece the backing. Lazy, I know, but it just goes so much faster when I don't have to make the extra seems and press all that much more.

Usually 42/45 x 50/60 depending on the pattern. I don't hand sew a binding on these quilts. I just stitch the 3 layers together, leave an opening and turn and top stitch all around.

Blog Entries
    Downey quilts are usually crib size quilts. Nice to do something simple once in a while.

I make nothing but charity quilts. The juvenille quilts I make are usually 42x48. The hospice quilts need to accomodate those in wheelchairs so I make those 42x60 or 70. I seldom make any wider so I don't have to piece the back as I need to get as many done as possible as there is a never ending need for the quilts.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast