Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do You Make A Sample Square ? >

Do You Make A Sample Square ?

Do You Make A Sample Square ?

Old 11-23-2010, 04:48 PM
Power Poster

I have just started doing sample blocks, as the next few quilts of mine are going to involve patterns created by others. Usually my quilts just evolve out of heaps of fabric/clothes, but I am branching out a bit and a sample seemed to be the sensible way to proceed. Fabric is just too expensive in Aus. to be too cavalier. So no more "seat of the pants" for me (at least for a while).
Old 11-23-2010, 06:15 PM

I make one most of the time out of paper.
Old 11-23-2010, 06:24 PM

Yes I have been doing sample blocks for quite some time.I will keep them even if I don't really care for them. When I collect enough I get a sampler quilt that I most likely would not have even started. I do try to have a color running through. :-D I like to think of it as a bonus . :thumbup:
Old 11-23-2010, 06:26 PM

OH!! sunshine_1950, That is a great idea about making the sample in Christmas Material.
That is a keeper for sure............
I always make a sample.....................
Old 11-23-2010, 07:34 PM

I suppose you could say that I do make a "sample block." Actually, I make one block at a time. Less confusing for my pea brain. So if the first block doesn't come out right I make corrections before going to more blocks.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:07 PM

I always draw it out on graph paper and then make a sample block, to make sure I like the colors and the block size. I just feel better doing that'
Old 11-23-2010, 09:12 PM

Nope. I would very rarely feel the need for a sample block. Only if I thought the quilt was more complicated ... and, maybe not even then.

I do live with the fabric choices for awhile before cutting to be sure i like them in all light and moods.

If in doubt, i can always EQ it.

ali
Old 11-23-2010, 09:13 PM

I have a half-done project for which I wish I'd measured the first block. It is quilt-as-you-go and everything came out smaller than the pattern called for -- I'll need an extra row to get my size!
Old 11-23-2010, 11:44 PM
Kas

Originally Posted by quiltmaker
I always do a sample block/s so I can determine whether I like the colors and look of what my quilt will be when finished. It saves a lot of frustration/heartache if I decide I don't like it.
I do the same thing. That is why my stash is the size it is! :shock: I replace 5, yes five fabrics in one quilt alone because the samples looked TERRIBLE. Now the poor thing looks great, but is still just a top.
Old 11-24-2010, 02:31 AM

That's a good idea. Mine are all diff fabrics, but will edge them in one fabric to make them go together a bit better.

Originally Posted by GloBug
Yes I have been doing sample blocks for quite some time.I will keep them even if I don't really care for them. When I collect enough I get a sampler quilt that I most likely would not have even started. I do try to have a color running through. :-D I like to think of it as a bonus . :thumbup: