Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do You Make A Sample Square ? >

Do You Make A Sample Square ?

Do You Make A Sample Square ?

Old 11-21-2010, 04:26 PM

Love your idea. Will be doing it from now on.
Thanks
Old 11-21-2010, 06:25 PM

I always make a sample block to make sure that I will like the final result. I have often changed my colour placements as a result. It is also to check that the instructions are correct. I also make an extra block from every quilt I make. Someday, I will sew them all together into a sampler which will be a wonderful record of all of the quilts I have made! It is also a great way to decide which way to press my seam allowances.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:49 PM

I do complete one block before I do any production line piecing. Last week's was a simple block, but one measurement was wrong. I'm glad I discovered it early. The previous quilt was made with a unfamiliar block with more complicated directions. I had the sample of that one pinned to the drapes in front of my sewing machine. The visual was helpful.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:26 AM

I always make a sample, and I complete it with batting and a boarder and binding. This way when I give the quilt away, I will always have a reminder of what I made and who I gave it to. Then I hang it in my quilting room as wall art. Makes me smile to see them and know they were all completed! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving to all!
Old 11-23-2010, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by knlsmith
I may draw out on paper where I want colors to be on a difficult block, but for the most part.... I like to jump in by the seat of my pants and let the Quilting gods do what they want. More fun that way.
Yes, that's what I usually do. I tried back in the summertime to make a table runner by graphing it all out. I couldn't get the design to suit me and ended up never making the runner. Kinda glad I tried graphing it out; but also feel I wasted a lot of time. I guess I should have known it wasn't going to work out to begin with. I haven't tried making anything too complicated yet; haven't had the nerve to try HST's or anything with a lot of triangles. I guess I am afraid of getting discouraged half way through and not finishing. I hate UFO's.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:37 AM

I don't call my first square of a quilt a sample, because after I press it, I lay it aside, Make a second block, make sure it matches the first one and on down the line until I have all the blocks I need for a full quilt. There are still some irregularities, but it would take a practiced eye to find them. If one comes up really "off" I throw it into my potholder bin and another pot holder is born.

Originally Posted by plainpat
I do because a long time ago, I made a throw & nothing matched in size.Had to cut the blocks down,add sashing etc.I prob had to cut the sashing down too, as I was pretty new.
There are several reasons for making a sample square.With blocks that all have to be turned/sewn in a certain order,you check each against the sample.Think pinwheels & log cabins.
Checking the block size can save hrs of work.
If the sample is good to go...it's stuck right in front of my machine.If not, it goes into my pile of orphan blocks :-)that will someday be sewn together & given away.

The main reason being sure I want to spend the time/work /fabric making that quilt.When it comes down to the nitty gritty,often times the answer is no.The block speaks to me & that alone has saved me buying a ton of fabric.You would think just seeing a pic of a quilt would work..& sometimes it does, but making a sample block works best for me.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:56 AM

Last January, I started a BOM from class, 3-4 different materials, and always had to make a sample first as it never turned out right unless I did, now I am totally bored with the material and doubt if I will ever make a quilt out of it. The worse part is that I started making two different quilts and now can't stand either one...bored of the material and blocks. Nice waste of money huh? :oops:
Old 11-23-2010, 06:06 AM

Great idea to make a table runner or something small with block samples - I need to do some smaller projects anyway
Old 11-23-2010, 07:35 AM

I don't make a sample block. However, I do graph out the design and/or play with my fabric for a while before I decide exactly how I want it to look.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:57 AM

Has anyone tried Electric Quilt? I can't draw worth a darn, but I can color blocks, so I think EQ is going to be great. So far I've only made 1 quilt I designed with it, but I've only had it for 10 days. The quilt came out great. We'll see if I'm still in love after another quilt or two.