Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Do You Make A Sample Square ?

I have just started doing sample blocks, as the next few quilts of mine are going to involve patterns created by others. Usually my quilts just evolve out of heaps of fabric/clothes, but I am branching out a bit and a sample seemed to be the sensible way to proceed. Fabric is just too expensive in Aus. to be too cavalier. So no more "seat of the pants" for me (at least for a while).

I make one most of the time out of paper.

Yes I have been doing sample blocks for quite some time.I will keep them even if I don't really care for them. When I collect enough I get a sampler quilt that I most likely would not have even started. I do try to have a color running through. :-D I like to think of it as a bonus . :thumbup:

OH!! sunshine_1950, That is a great idea about making the sample in Christmas Material.
    That is a keeper for sure............
    I always make a sample.....................

I suppose you could say that I do make a "sample block." Actually, I make one block at a time. Less confusing for my pea brain. So if the first block doesn't come out right I make corrections before going to more blocks.

Blog Entries
    I always draw it out on graph paper and then make a sample block, to make sure I like the colors and the block size. I just feel better doing that'

Nope. I would very rarely feel the need for a sample block. Only if I thought the quilt was more complicated ... and, maybe not even then.

I do live with the fabric choices for awhile before cutting to be sure i like them in all light and moods.

If in doubt, i can always EQ it.

ali

I have a half-done project for which I wish I'd measured the first block. It is quilt-as-you-go and everything came out smaller than the pattern called for -- I'll need an extra row to get my size!

Kas
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltmaker
    I always do a sample block/s so I can determine whether I like the colors and look of what my quilt will be when finished. It saves a lot of frustration/heartache if I decide I don't like it.
    I do the same thing. That is why my stash is the size it is! :shock: I replace 5, yes five fabrics in one quilt alone because the samples looked TERRIBLE. Now the poor thing looks great, but is still just a top.

Blog Entries
    That's a good idea. Mine are all diff fabrics, but will edge them in one fabric to make them go together a bit better.

Quote Originally Posted by GloBug
    Yes I have been doing sample blocks for quite some time.I will keep them even if I don't really care for them. When I collect enough I get a sampler quilt that I most likely would not have even started. I do try to have a color running through. :-D I like to think of it as a bonus . :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    One reson I make a block before cutting all the blocks, is to see if I can make that quilt with that fabric. Have learned that if the colors/fabric is wrong, it'll end up in the UFO pile. I hate, hate working with wrong colors/fabrics.Odd...but that's me.

Quote Originally Posted by quilting cat
    I have a half-done project for which I wish I'd measured the first block. It is quilt-as-you-go and everything came out smaller than the pattern called for -- I'll need an extra row to get my size!

Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    I will from now on... If I had made a sample block of the ugly quilt I am making, I wouldn't be making it. It is all cut out, so I don't have any other option than to finish it. I know the reasons it is ugly to me though. #1 It is too dark for my taste. #2 There isn't enough contrast for my taste. I just hope someone will fall in love with and just have to have it. HOPE! HOPE! HOPE!
    Send up a picture - I AM SURE it is not half as bad as you think. I find that depending on my mood depends on whether i like the colouring or not - same as clothing i wear, sometimes bright and other days dark. Maybe this will help make you feel better :-) hope so

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by quilting cat
    If the blocks ended up the same size, and you have enough fabric to complete the project - life is still good. :)

Quote Originally Posted by grann of 6
    Quote Originally Posted by knlsmith
    I may draw out on paper where I want colors to be on a difficult block, but for the most part.... I like to jump in by the seat of my pants and let the Quilting gods do what they want. More fun that way.
    Yes, that's what I usually do. I tried back in the summertime to make a table runner by graphing it all out. I couldn't get the design to suit me and ended up never making the runner. Kinda glad I tried graphing it out; but also feel I wasted a lot of time. I guess I should have known it wasn't going to work out to begin with. I haven't tried making anything too complicated yet; haven't had the nerve to try HST's or anything with a lot of triangles. I guess I am afraid of getting discouraged half way through and not finishing. I hate UFO's.
    HST= take a square, mark on back diagonally. Take another contrasting fabric square, same size. Put right sides together. Stitch 1/4" on each side of diagonal line. Cut on diagonal line. Open and press toward dark fabric. Then you have your HST.

Quote Originally Posted by Quiltmaniac2010
    I always make a sample block to make sure that I will like the final result. I have often changed my colour placements as a result. It is also to check that the instructions are correct. I also make an extra block from every quilt I make. Someday, I will sew them all together into a sampler which will be a wonderful record of all of the quilts I have made! It is also a great way to decide which way to press my seam allowances.
    Love your blue merle collie. We use to raise collies.

I've only ever made one sample block. Not sure why. I've never had a problem with my blocks not matching. The one sample block that I made is still just that. I've not made any more like it. Again, not sure why. But one day I hope to make more like it and put it into a quilt.

Is it just cut out or partly put together already?

If just cut out...raid the stash or go shopping for a complementary fabric and switch out the pieces...two quilts (well no not for the price of one) of the same pattern but different colour combinations.

Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    I will from now on... If I had made a sample block of the ugly quilt I am making, I wouldn't be making it. It is all cut out, so I don't have any other option than to finish it. I know the reasons it is ugly to me though. #1 It is too dark for my taste. #2 There isn't enough contrast for my taste. I just hope someone will fall in love with and just have to have it. HOPE! HOPE! HOPE!
    :-P

Afraid not. I know that I should.

I always make a sample block to practice and see if the instructions are correct.

Always - there have been times when I didn't love the way my colors went together the first time, and sometimes I'll swap around or out so I love it more. And count me as one of those who does it to work out how the seams will lie.

Power Poster
    sometimes yes and sometimes no.

Quote Originally Posted by 2livesdown7togo
    Always - there have been times when I didn't love the way my colors went together the first time, and sometimes I'll swap around or out so I love it more. And count me as one of those who does it to work out how the seams will lie.
    And speaking of working out which way the seams will lie...I usually manage to press the seams in the best direction, but when I come to sew the blocks together, invariable there is one seam that should have been pressed in the opposite direction. This is the reason that I usually used sashing. But sometimes I would like sewing squares together to achieve a secondary block or design (or whatever it's called). Is this just trial and error or is there a system?

Quote Originally Posted by eparys
    I do but not for size. I do it to decide how to press seams - especially in a complicated block.
    Ohhh, this is a good reason! Will keep it in mind as I don't make a sample block. With that said, my SIL always does and her blocks do turn out nicer!

I typically make sample blocks because every once in a while, the cutting directions are wrong. Cutting out 30 2.5 inch strips can be a problem if they were supposed to be 2.25 inch strips. In addition, sometimes your color combo doesn't work as well as another color combo.

I sometimes join BOMs where you are automatically sent the kit every month. I make the first out of my stash. Once satisfied, I then make the block out of the BOM provided fabric. This way, I also get two quilts out of it (those BOMs cost a LOT of money!). One is for me and the other gifted.

When I make sample blocks, such as for a swap, I use the same pile of christmas fabric. That way, the blocks will work together into a new quilt.

If color is my issue, I put the sample block not used into an orphan block box. I periodically take blocks out of there for other projects, but if the box ever gets full, I'll just make an orphan block top.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3