Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do You Make Your Own Patterns? >

Do You Make Your Own Patterns?

Do You Make Your Own Patterns?

Old 08-01-2020, 08:13 AM

Default Do You Make Your Own Patterns?

I'd love some tips on making your own patterns. Please share. Thanks!

~ C
Old 08-01-2020, 09:07 AM
Power Poster

it really depends on what kind of pattern that you are wanting to make. Please let us know if you are wanting to use a designing computer program or if you are thinking of drafting it out onto a grid. There are applique' , piecing and art style quilts. There are many books out there to read in detail how to make each one. Classes are great too, when we all can come out to gather again. I guess, once you decide what kind of quilt you want to make, then research the technique and start from there. Also, many color books help you to know color design options that help you achieve a pleasing finished product.
Old 08-01-2020, 09:34 AM

The best way to start, just to wrap your head around the process, is to find a picture of a quilt you like. then "deconstruct" it and recreate it (without their written pattern). it gives you a good place to start, and you learn how things go together. I would also encourage you to make your own simple changes on that pattern (for example, put in a four patch where there is a solid square, or anything else). that way you make it your own and again, explore how pieces can be planned out. After you get used to that, you can get more complex and fancy, but this is just a beginning suggestion.
Old 08-01-2020, 09:55 AM

I have only tried once and I wasn't successful. Now that doesn't mean a thing. I will be following this post closely to learn with you, the best way to make my own patterns. The most I have done is to make a pattern larger or smaller.This is the best place to learn a new quilting skill.
Old 08-01-2020, 11:03 AM

I don't design my own patterns but I do put different blocks from different patterns in one quilt and sometimes I just add a different border. Good luck on your adventure.
Old 08-01-2020, 11:22 AM

Depends what you mean by patterns?

I make my own designs, but not repetitive block patterns.

I am currently having acrylic templates made so I can use those to make a quilt, so I suppose you could say I am designing my own blocks, in that way.

Just not quite sure what you mean.

Watson
Old 08-01-2020, 11:59 AM
Power Poster

I will increase sizes of strips for basket weave blocks and rail fence blocks. Not a many pieces pattern that requires lots of fittings.
Old 08-01-2020, 12:40 PM
Power Poster

I start with graph paper- framing the size quilt I want. Then start sketching the details ( pieced blocks- applique,panels, etc.) once I have the initial Sketch done I figure out all the math- piece sizes, block sizes, etc. once the math is all figured out I can figure out how many fabrics I need and how much of each one. Next I figure out if it’s going together in rows, columns, sections, on point, etc.
if it’s repetitive blocks it’s usually easy, It’s a little more complicated if its all different, mirror images, different sizes, shapes.
once I have all the details figured out on paper I start the process of construction- making notes as I go along- figuring out the processes that work ( or don’t) what makes sense- what seemed like it would work on paper- but doesn’t work in reality, what order things should be done in. Once I have worked through it all and successfully created a top I can then write up the pattern in an organized way that leads to success.
Old 08-01-2020, 01:34 PM
Power Poster

If the block pattern is geometric, I use graph paper.
Old 08-01-2020, 02:19 PM

I draw blocks on graph paper. If I don't like the end result, I can throw it away. A pattern is just a suggestion.