Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Looking at used Long Arm to buy >

Looking at used Long Arm to buy

Looking at used Long Arm to buy

Old 02-05-2021, 12:00 PM

Default Looking at used Long Arm to buy

Looking at a used Long Arm Tomorrow. I have had a Grace Original for what seems like forever. I have been made aware of a older used machine that I can buy for $500 or under tomorrow. I know little about it except it is no longer updateable for patterns and uses a CD on the computer for patterns and that is is in working order. I was told it has a long and "commercial" looking machine. I know it is not much of a description to go on so it will be a look and see.
LA'er that have been working for years I hope you can advise me about older machines that can no longer be updated. I would be using this just for me and to maybe learn to do some ruler work with.
Would it be worth the $$ to buy a machine like this?

Last edited by juliasb; 02-05-2021 at 12:09 PM.
Old 02-05-2021, 12:34 PM

Timely thread! I'm trying to do something and I guess I don't know which way to go either. I have two long arms and don't have either one set up now. I find I can't do standing free quilting due to a hip that is talking to me. So I will have to choose option 1...sell both.....option 2. buy computer software to get it to run itself.
Plenty of folks want to give me peanuts for what I've got and charge arm and leg for the software if I keep them.
Do we have a long arm guru on this forum?
Old 02-05-2021, 02:36 PM

Default Solved standing problem

Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
Timely thread! I'm trying to do something and I guess I don't know which way to go either. I have two long arms and don't have either one set up now. I find I can't do standing free quilting due to a hip that is talking to me. So I will have to choose option 1...sell both.....option 2. buy computer software to get it to run itself.
Plenty of folks want to give me peanuts for what I've got and charge arm and leg for the software if I keep them.
Do we have a long arm guru on this forum?
I have a problem standing for any length of time as well. It was easily solved, however, with a drafting chair which rises adjustably to the height needed. At the time I bought it (a couple years ago), drafting chairs were really spendy ($3-500), At the time, I found one online at WalMart and got it for $70!

It's padded, has an adjustable back, a raised foot rest, etc. and as I'm working at my machine and need to move side to side, I simply use the rail to propel myself where I need to go. Of course, this requires a hard-surface floor. It had free delivery and I set it up myself in mere minutes. Easy!

So don't give up on your machine(s). It's an easy fix for those of us with a touchy back or hips.
Old 02-05-2021, 08:31 PM

Juliasb, one thought that came to me is that if this machine is to be computer guided and still uses a CD, chances are that it will require an older computer (with CD) that will likely have an operating system that is no longer supported and thus could introduce virus, etc onto the computer (i.e. Microsoft Vista) so computer guided feature may be short lived. You don't mention hand quilded free motion but if it works well for that it may be a good investment. I would check first that basic maintenance parts are available--some things just wear out--needle screw, check springs, etc and if those can't be replaced then the machine is worthless when something goes wrong. Lots of questions to ask.

Battle Axe--my machine is handguided and I've thought about add computer guided--but with my Gammill it's still out of my reach. My friend added IntelliQuilter to her APQS and likes it fine but that was also pricey. Maybe you could sell on of your LA and add a less expensive computer system to the one you keep.
Old 02-06-2021, 03:20 AM

Thanks for the comments!! I had not thought of that one for Juliasb about the age of the computer. That would be a real concern for me being computer techie challenged.

I'm still up in the air on my situation. I really do not have the room for the machine right now. I have two apartments attached to my house that used to be a doctor's office. Both are rented out and the money easily spent. I had one set up perfectly with great new lighting and dedicated breaker to the machine. Then a massage lady that had been raised in this house wanted it for an office. All it needed was a refrigerator which was easy. The other is rented to a young mother with an autistic child and a husband in the Army. She says she will have to move to be with him but we need the world to settle down before they know where they will move to. Then the massage person wants the one on the end with the wheel chair ramp and I would get the one with the great lighting back.

That would mean that I would have to do X number of quilts to recover the costs of the apartment, utilities, etc. Do I have that much dedication left in me?

Juliasb, let us know how your trip to look at this machine turned out.

Last edited by Battle Axe; 02-06-2021 at 03:23 AM.
Old 02-06-2021, 05:07 AM

Thanks for the info on the computer operating system. I will keep that in mind. I am getting ready to leave shortly. My sister will be here to pick me up shortly. My trusty iphone will be with so I can look things up about the make and model I will be looking at all the moving parts too. I hope there are other suggestions that come along. I may find myself making a second trip.
Old 02-06-2021, 06:03 PM

Julia--what did you think of the machine and frame set-up?