Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you multitask when quilting? >

Do you multitask when quilting?

Do you multitask when quilting?

Old 09-15-2011, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Cagey
I came home from work tonight and put a finished quilt in the washing machine, sewed some small pieces of a new project while waiting for the iron to warm up for another project I'm finishing. Wondering how many others multitask like this.
Is there anyone, quilter or not, who does not multi-task? The washing machine runs at the same the dryer runs while mom chops onions for the salad, oversees the kids setting the table and watches the hamburger helper so it won't burn and at the same time is planning for (a) how to help the kids with homework, (b) how to get the kids to school on time tomorrow, (c) how to get the car to the repair shop, (d) how to get the lesson plans the principal is demanding in detail on the school system's computer before the deadline, (e) how to get the deadhead husband who is watching Monday night football in the living room up long enough to eat supper andmaybe carry out the trash. So, what else is new? froggyintexas
Old 09-15-2011, 11:16 AM
Power Poster

Multi-tasking is the way it's done around here!! Gotta squeeze things in when I can! :)
Old 09-15-2011, 12:07 PM

About the only multitasking I do while sewing my quilts is when I do my leaders and enders. I have just started doing this and am excited about the project so sometimes I add in some tweeners too, lol.
I sometimes will toss in a load of laundry, but then there it sits forgotten until DH comes in and finishes it. :D
I do use evening TV time for deconstructing my thrift store finds. It is very relaxing to my mind to do that, however, it is not so relaxing to my neck and shoulders so I have to take breaks. During the breaks I usually check the board, play solitaire mah jong, or read.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:15 PM

LOL, this reminds me of one time when my children were in school. I had just finished mopping the kitchen floor. The washer and dryer were running, as well as the dishwasher and I had dinner in the crockpot.
I stood there looking around and listening to everything and feeling peacock proud of how hard I had worked.
Then it hit me that compared to our grandparents and great-grandparents, I had not "worked" at all. Except maybe mopping the floor. I really stopped to appreciate the modern conveniences I had all around me and be thankful for them. I am not sure at all I would have made it as a pioneer woman!
Old 09-15-2011, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Jennie and Me
Sigh, I used to multi-task, but with age comes tunnel vision. If I try to multi-task I get side tracked and never accomplish anything. One thing at a time...one foot in front of the other...yep, that's the way I do things any more. :roll:
Same here
Old 09-15-2011, 12:18 PM

My entire life is one giant multi-task!!
Old 09-15-2011, 12:23 PM

Aren't we supposed to multi task everything we do? Don't you have anything waiting to be ironed the next time your turn the iron on???? Do you have any fabric waiting to be placed in the right color grouping or with fabric you're collecting for a special project???? I guess it's just me... :roll: :roll: :roll:
Old 09-15-2011, 12:29 PM

oh ya
Old 09-15-2011, 12:37 PM

it is the only way i quilt.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:42 PM

Yes, I do. If I can't sew while I am doing house work then it won't get done. Sometimes I reward myself with sewing when I get everything finished, or I do it inbetween.

Life as a quilter.

FREE Quilting Newsletter