Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Do you name your quilts? If so what names?

Blog Entries
    Do you name your quilts? If so what names?

I name some. I did an Irish Chain, and appliqued pots of flowers in the squares. Made it for DGD for HS Grad. Named it "Bouquets for Mandi" Seemed fitting. Guess I just let the quilt tell me if it wants to be named. Some do, some don't. Most I just call it the name of the pattern. Re. Log Cabin, Nine patch, etc.

I made a Log Cabin with Bear Paws in the middle and called it "Bear In The Cabin".
    My avy is named "Frames"
    I made one for my daughter called "Josie's Jars and Things"
    Made one for my nephew's wedding called "People In Your Lives" It was king size, made up of 4"finished squares and everyone that had been influential in their lives was represented by at least one sometimes two blocks. It was up to them to figure out who was depicted by what block. I did give them one hint. His dad (my brother) is an electrician. I pointed out the block with the lighting bolt and said, "Electricity."
    It really depends, if they're for someone else then yes, definitely. If they're for charity or just to have or sometimes ones I make in classes then no.

No. But it sounds a good idea.

bj
    I don't really name them. I did one from a kit called Backyard Safari, but I usually just take a pic and note who the quilt was for and the occasion if there is one.

Blog Entries
    I am working on a disappering 9 patch scrappy made with fat quarters

Name: Wow, Wow (As when I put it on the design wall, all I could say was wow wow, it is awesome, I still need to buy fabric for the backing so will post a picture later on

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I named this one that I made for my grandson last Christmas. It was my second quilt (first was a wall hanging).

Cole's Dirt Moving
    Name:  Attachment-68696.jpe
Views: 35
Size:  137.5 KB

I name all my quilts. I made a "Trip Around the World" quilt when I was on vacation in Gatlinburg, TN. We made several trips to a quilt shop and passed through this little town called Cobly Knob. I loved the name and I named my quilt "Trip Around Cobly Knob." I made a purple scrappy quilt and named it "Purple, Purple Everywhere." Fabric bought in Charleston will become "Charleston Beauty" and Jewel Box exchange blocks became "My Friends are Jewels." My puzzle quilt is "I saw a jigsaw". I love thinking up the names!

I name all of my quilts. I don't remember all the names I've given them though.

I have named every one of the quilts I have made. I have no kids so it is really fun to be able to name something.

Blog Entries
    I name all my quilts. I try to be creative, but sometimes it just doesn't happen. I made a rooster wall hanging, and called it something to crow about(not too original), a trellis quilt with fish swimming in the back ground, called it aquarium trellis. And a Tennessee Waltz quilt with dragons quilted on it and called it Dragon's Waltz. Just to name a few.

Blog Entries
    I like short simple names for my quilts. All the ones I made for my DGD have the name Miss Priss ______.

I have used the names Bruises, Frown Lines, Bird Wings, Gulp, just any name that isn't a quilty name.

I don't name mine. Maybe I should.

I don't understand questions like this. Have you made a quilt?

I made a log cabin quilt from tan and brown Civil War fabric by Windom but used another fabric with roses for the center square. I fussy cut the sqrare with the rose for each block. I got the fabric in Temecula, CA. at Quilter's Coop and when done I named it "Temecula Rose" and put that on the lable on the back with my name as 'made by,' and year made . Very simple quilt, but turned out so pretty, and now I have a lap quilt for myself to keep in my truck. I name and lable all of my quilts, but that is one example

Blog Entries
    Do you name your quilts? give them a name!

Quote Originally Posted by DebraK
    I don't understand questions like this. Have you made a quilt?

Yes, my quilts all get names of precious stones according to their colors.

Oh yes, they get names. One was Kael's ride with dad because it had fire trucks on it and his dad is a fireman. The dresden was Cooper's garden and the pinwheel was called Haley in motion. There are more but that is just a few.

Generally, yes. Most often a name kind of happens along in the middle of making (or sometimes even THINKING about ) a quilt. That is how my Drunkards Path was named Emails from China, lol.

I have at least two quilt NAMES that don't have quilts to go with them yet, but simply ideas....the name kind of grounds them, and does help, eventually to have them happen!

Quote Originally Posted by craftybear
    I name my quilts and usually include the name on the label. Some have simple names that are just the pattern and the name of the person who will receive it -- "Anna's Sisier's Choice" or "My Own Medallion."

Some are just the name of the class where I started the project like "Going Dotty." Some are kinda funny, like the quilt I tried so hard to make look old, and called that one "Antiques Made While U Wait" which was an actual sign we saw on a roadside shop in Lancaster PA.

Going Dotty
    Name:  Attachment-68904.jpe
Views: 11
Size:  84.0 KB

Antiques Made While U Wait
    Name:  Attachment-68906.jpe
Views: 12
Size:  131.8 KB

My Own Medallion
    Name:  Attachment-68907.jpe
Views: 10
Size:  85.4 KB

Blog Entries
    Most of them I do. I take a good look at them when done Because they take on their own personalaty when making them.

yes I do kinda name themselves when I'm done

No, I really dont name them or even label them....YES, I KNOW I should, LOL.....

Banned
    With me coming from an art background I name all of my quilts. But I do not name cars, sewing machines, or kids!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Billy

Quote Originally Posted by craftybear
    I thought I was the only silly one to name the quilts, esp when they have named patterns,,,, :-D
    But yes I name mine, I did a 9 block quilt, with the steelers champion years, and I named it " Champions", and I did a king size yo-yo quilt about 3 years ago, and named it yo-yo around the world, ( as the fabric was from all over the world,,lol) and now, I am working on a hex. quilt, like the grandmother garden,, but my mother is called Nana by all the grandchildren,, so I am naming is " Nana's GardenBabies".... :-D

What kind fo names do you use????

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast