Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do You Name Your Quilts? >

Do You Name Your Quilts?

Do You Name Your Quilts?

Old 12-16-2021, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I only name a quilt if it is going in a show and there is a line on the form that says…name.
I'm with you.
DD names anything that makes noise: dogs, tractors, cars, blending machines. That way she knows who/which she's talking to.
Old 12-16-2021, 07:04 PM

Yes, I both label and name my quilts. Usually the name is just the name of the pattern, but if I have changed it up a bit then I create my own name. Labels also have my name, the date of completion, and a number. I have numbered my quilts ever since I began quilting in 1985. Charity quilts don't receive a label or a number, but anything that stays in the family does.
Old 12-17-2021, 02:52 AM
Banned

No I don't name my quilts or my sewing machines.
Old 12-17-2021, 03:13 AM

I buy printed labels with name and location that I sew into the bindings on the back side of my quilts. I often give away or try to sell my quilts and feel the recipient won't really care about or want an elaborate label. When I make something for a specific person, I do make a label with more info that I sew onto the back. But mostly, I don't name my quilts except in my mind (e.g., "the big block quilt," "Dear Jane," etc.) as I'm working on them.
Old 12-17-2021, 05:46 AM

I name every quilt.

I have named ever design that I completed. With this in mind, I have also taken a photo of these quilts and so I have a photo library of my collection. This collection helps when I am ready to start a new project. I have ones of my own to refer to not a website of another quilter. Who best to go to but yourself - since you are the one who had great ideas, made mistakes that can be avoided the next time around, and just enjoy the love and beauty you have given others through your craft of quilting.

Just to add a side note: I also name my cars!
Old 12-17-2021, 07:14 AM
bj

I only name it as the name of recipient’s quilt in my journal. I don’t label. I just put my initials and the year it’s finished on the back, usually on the binding close to a corner.
Old 12-17-2021, 07:30 AM

I name all of my quilts. If it's a pattern, then the name is generally some play on the original pattern name. But if it's something that I designed, then there is always an original name as well. Sometimes the design comes first and the name evolves as the top gets pieced. But sometimes the name comes first, and I design the quilt around it. In fact, one quilt I named about two years ago and changed the design about six times. It is still not finished, but the name remains!
Old 12-18-2021, 02:53 AM

I put a label on every quilt, but I don't always put the name of the quilt on the label. I usually make baby quilts and the baby's name and birthdate and my initials go on the label..and sometimes a poem. For the quilts I do at guild workshops, I put a name on the label of the quilt pattern or a name I have chosen. One pattern was called Mountain Moon, and I named my quilt Colorful Slices. Once I made what I called a lazy label using the selvage from the panel. No 2 of my labels look alike.
Old 12-18-2021, 03:44 AM

No, I do not name my quilts. (Making up a fitting or clever name for the quilt.)

I do add a label to every one except those donated to organizations. They often prefer their own label that they add themselves noting the organization. My labels include "Made for __________ Made by ____ and Date of completion. Now and again, I will add the occasion (graduation, wedding, birth) and the name of the pattern if it is significant. My "Harriett's Journey" will get its name on the label but not those that are scrappy just to bust my stash. Currently, many patterns seem to be sampler quilts that are lovely revisits of traditional blocks in different combinations or collections or colors. But if I strike out on my own with a group of traditional blocks or a repeat of a block for the whole quilt.....no name, just fun for me.

Perhaps I should begin to include the pattern name on my quilts more often as a way of acknowledging the pattern designer.
Old 01-02-2022, 03:20 PM

I've never felt the need to label a quilt. I've never named them either