Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do You Photocopy Your Fabric? >

Do You Photocopy Your Fabric?

Do You Photocopy Your Fabric?

Old 07-17-2022, 01:28 PM

Default Do You Photocopy Your Fabric?

I was visiting a LQS on my travels, chatting with the owner. I mentioned struggling with decisions about orientation of fussy cutting for my blocks. She asked - why don't you just photocopy your fabric and make a few blocks to decide? How smart is that! Rather than cutting up fabric, make colour photocopies, cut out block pieces and play with paper rather than expensive fabric!

This also means no more digging through stash looking for similar colours to use making a test block. I love good ideas like this.
Old 07-17-2022, 01:34 PM
Power Poster

Great idea, thanks for sharing
Old 07-17-2022, 03:15 PM

I have done this for years and frequently suggest it to others. It has often helped me when I cannot decide between colors or combinations.
Old 07-17-2022, 08:59 PM

This is why I have EQ. 😁
Old 07-18-2022, 04:59 AM
Power Poster

Good idea!
Old 07-18-2022, 05:54 AM
Power Poster

The price of EQ will pay for itself by the savings of the color ink for the printer if using cartridges. I take a pic of my fabric on my phone, send it to my computer and import the image to EQ. If you find the fabric online, importing a thumbnail image is fast and easy. Most fabric collections are on the EQ website ready to download for you.
Old 07-19-2022, 06:12 AM

I haven't done this, as far as trying out a pattern. But, what I do is, when I buy fabric, I put a picture of the fabric in a file on my computer. Then when I'm ready to start another project, I can look through my fabrics to see what I have on my computer. Or, if I pick out a fabric, but I'm looking to see what I have that will go with it, I look on my computer file first instead of going though my actual fabric.

I don't need to do this often though, as I usually buy by the project and keep those fabrics together. But the file is still a nice reminder of what fabrics I have for that pattern/project in case I decide to change my mind on what to make with that fabric.
Old 07-21-2022, 06:56 AM

DUH! why didn't I think of that! Thanks, b.zang, for a very economical and practical tip.
Old 07-26-2022, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by quiltsfor View Post
I haven't done this, as far as trying out a pattern. But, what I do is, when I buy fabric, I put a picture of the fabric in a file on my computer. Then when I'm ready to start another project, I can look through my fabrics to see what I have on my computer. Or, if I pick out a fabric, but I'm looking to see what I have that will go with it, I look on my computer file first instead of going though my actual fabric.

I don't need to do this often though, as I usually buy by the project and keep those fabrics together. But the file is still a nice reminder of what fabrics I have for that pattern/project in case I decide to change my mind on what to make with that fabric.
This sounds very organized! I do have EQ but have never learned to be really efficient with it.

I don't use my printer, but go to the printers and use the photocopier since they are cheap. I just photocopied fabric onto huge paper since it has a big repeat pattern and I'm working on a DWR.