Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you pin? Have you tried? >

Do you pin? Have you tried?

Do you pin? Have you tried?

Old 02-17-2011, 05:46 AM

sorry pinmoors?? Never heard of that! But that's not saying much coming from me!
Old 02-17-2011, 05:51 AM

I have used the tagger guns, and I don't think they hold the 'sandwich' tight enough - it still has some wiggle room. Look at Sharon Schaumer's website -she thread bastes before machine quilting. Looks interesting, but I haven't tried it. I pin with safety pins, and take them out as I come to them.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:00 AM

Yes! Yes! Yes! I use the MicroStitch by Avery, too, and it works great! I tried spray basting with all different kinds of temporary spray, and it just didn't hold it together when I was rolling up the sides and folding the top down. These tacks are the tiniest tacks made, and using them as described really does hold it all together. And she is right about the trick. Made sure you use contracting tacks so they show up good.

Originally Posted by Lacelady
I used to pin, now I use a microtack. They are the tiniest tags, and I use the gun not to go from front to back, but to take a 'stitch' on the surface, so both ends are on the front. It holds the sandwich reall tightly together.

Trick is to try and use the most contrasting tacks so you can find them again, and to put them in with regular spacing.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:20 AM

For the spray basting, I am afraid to spray it indoors. I always take it outside - sorry ozone! I have never done anything larger than a baby quilt. I found it is easier to handle if you spray the batting instead of the fabric.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:52 AM

Once I tried spray basting I never looked back. Just the thought of pinning a whole quilt again , just turns me OFF. My mom is always reluctant to try new things. I think because of the cost and reluctant to change, but gave her a can. Yep I had to really push her , as she is prone to saving it for "someday". Now its the first thing she will buy with her JoAnn's coupon.
I guess I am saying just try the spray , your knees will thank -you. Just remember a little goes a long way.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:59 AM

I don't like pinning and I found that the tags allow things to shift too much; didn't really like that either. I usually spray baste or if it will fit on my Flynn frame, I don't have to "sandwich" it at all; the frame does it for you.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Venice
sorry pinmoors?? Never heard of that! But that's not saying much coming from me!
I would like to know, also.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by anicra
I baste my quilts using the Sharon Schambers method. No getting on the floor. It's easy and gives me the time to really analyze my quilt and decide how best to quilt it. It's worth a look at her instructional video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhwNylePFAA
Thanks! Great video.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:25 AM

#1 Spray Baste
#2 Tagger, use as suggested, put it thru the quilt, then turn sideways and insert it back in so that both T parts are on top of the quilt, tightens it up and makes it easy to find both ends
#3 Pin Baste

Never even tried thread basting and probably won't.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:25 AM

i wouldn't waste money on a tagger; i thought i had to have one and i hated it. doesn't hold sandwich tight enough and having to get the little taggies out is just another nightmare. please don't bother with it. just mho. buy basting spray; works great.