Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you prefer to sew with a group or alone?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk View Post
    I sew alone, with nobody else.
    Lol you know when I sew alone, I prefer to be by myself!

(George Thorogood)

Whilst I love the *idea* of belonging to a quilting group, in reality I would get absolutely nothing done. And that nothing would be wrong and need unpicking. LOL I am far too easily distracted. I can't shop with company either.

I have never fancied the idea of doing a class. I have a problem with being told what to do - won't follow patterns, want to tweak things as I want them...

So I guess from that point of view I am an anti-social quilter, although I can talk quilting and admire the work of others until the cows come home!!

I'm also firmly of the view that if he gets 'him-time' then I should get 'me-time'!!!
    Quilting is my vice

Live well, laugh often, love much

I love this board!!! You are all wonderful.
    Last edited by Ann63; 10-01-2012 at 08:33 AM.

I don't usually even have music. I have a radio in the shed and a few CD's for my laptop, but seldom use them. I have always concentrated better when things were quiet. When I was in college years ago a lot of the girls had to have something to listen to while studying and I never could understand that, because I would end up listening to the music instead of studying. We have a hometown retreat once a month and get together on a Saturday and sew and have lunch together. I love to go and talk and be inspired by other projects, but like others, I take the "mindless" chores to do.

I try to plan my quilting around household and farm chores. I don't feel guilty taking the time if I know I've allotted time for the housework. I try to spend evenings with my DH. I don't let my dog into the shed, either. She's a Sheltie, and would demand my attention. We both play with her in the evening....and she looks forward to that time. She has a large pen and LOVES being outside where she can bark at the cows and warn us if anyone pulls into the driveway. DH takes her out in the pasture with him when he checks the cattle each day.

We built the shed when I retired. I worked for 30 years and have looked forward to the time when I could spend time quilting. So I certainly don't feel guilty about making good use of it....and DH agrees!

Blog Entries
    I sew alone. Just me, the TV and my dogs.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    I prefer doing brain numbing sewing within a group, but intricate cutting, piecing and quilting needs to be done while I'm alone. I get distracted and make mistakes.
    this is me as well
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Now, I sew/quilt alone because I am usually multitasking. When I was teaching quilting, I always enjoyed working with the group of ladies.
    I am looking forward to a day at a retreat in a couple of weeks. On the Oregon Coast.
    A great advantage of a retreat is all the food and CHOCOLATE, of course.
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

I'm a totally solo quilter. Not sure I'd even know what to do with others around since I've never tried it. As far as 'justifying' the time spent quilting, forget it. Hearing my heart sing is justification enough.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Blog Entries
    I prefer sewing at home. For some reason sewing with a group doesn't interest me. Maybe I'll try it one day and find I like the group.
    Quilting in the Desert

Funny thing is I would say I'm more productive alone for sure, that and I put too much pressure on myself in groups. I do however cherish the memories of sewing with friends and family that are sewing in heaven now. So even when I'm sewing alone I am usually thinking of special people and don't feel alone at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
    Lol you know when I sew alone, I prefer to be by myself!

(George Thorogood)
    I was wondering if someone would catch that.

We went to see him this past Saturday night. Omg!! What a show!!! He sure is something else.

He said, he would lick the Lady's legs in the audience like a puppy dog......LOL
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)

I only sew by myself. I am a loner, Husband can be there but, he is working outside or watching TV or napping.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I enjoy quilting with others because of the fellowship. I also have everything already cut and make sure it is something that does not require total attention. I think it is important (especially if you are retired) to have that time with other women. I do not feel bad about housework or leaving my husband for hours or days. I think it makes me a happier person to be with. I love "ME" time.
    DonnaR
    Grammy to Isaiah and Ruth

Super Member frustratedquilter40's Avatar
    If its something that does not require much I enjoy sewing in groups. But if it something difficult I prefer to sew alone
    ​Christine

I enjoy both, depending on my mood that day!

I prefer sewing with a group, but I make too many mistakes. I found it more effective to only take simple tasks with me. My sister and I can sew together without a problem, but we aren't shy. If doing something difficult, I will tell her I have to have quiet for a minute or so to sort this out. Not a problem. Same with her. Now that she's officially given up making doll clothing to sell, our sewing days together are over. Sniff.

My answer would be "both"...sewing on my own I get distracted and do other things rather than sew. If I am sewing with a group, I actually get more done as it is usually "dedicated" sewing time. I am though a person that does like my own time, so after awhile, I would prefer to be home where it is quiet, and am always happy to get home again. Wish I would get more done at home and am working on that (I think I need to stay off the computer!)

Blog Entries
    I've been sewing so many years by myself that I don't think I could concentrate if I tried to sew in a group.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

Love sewing with small group once a week. Also go to several retreats a year. No justifying. I worked most of my life and DH is not a neat freak, just needs clean clothes. Will eat takeout.

mltquilt

Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
    I get a whole lot more done when I load my stuff up in the car and go sew with my friends. I don't feel the need to "justify" anything I do or don't do. Nor do I feel guilt if some house task isn't done. I'm not a housemaid whose entire existence is cleaning, cooking and laundry. In my world if you're not capable of cooking yourself a meal and doing a load of laundry by the time you're 12 you can go naked and starve.
    I love this!!! Seriously, it is my firm belief that kids need to become independent and self-sufficient and not dependent on their mother. I think I succeeded on that score. And now that they're gone, who cares if their bedrooms get vacuumed or the mantle gets dusted? There are quilts to be made and books to be read and music to be played. Martha Stewart I am not!

Back on topic - I definitely get more sewing done when I'm alone. Sewing groups have not worked for me. My sister and I do have occasional sewing days, but usually we are working on a project together and we divide the tasks and just get to it. But, generally, I prefer to sew alone. This month is hunting season here, so my dear darling husband will be gone a good part of the month. I have my projects all stacked up and ready to tackle. When he's gone I get to do midnight sewing....tee hee!!
    -Chris-
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Blessed are the children of quilters, for they shall inherit the quilts....

It does not do well, Harry, to dwell on the dreams....and forget to live. - Albus Dumbledore

While I enjoy sewing with a group, I get much, much more accomplished when I sew alone. My sewing room has everything I need in it and I keep it well organized. I have good lighting and a nice view out the window. Because working alone can get boring, I listen to an audio book on my iPad as I work.

I get a lot more done while sewing with friends. At home by myself there are too many things to distract me and don't get much sewing done. Friends inspire me and motivate me to work.

I don't get more done when I am with my friends working on quilts, but I do get more ideas regarding colors or things that I can't quite put my finger on. One of them will make a relevant comment and the others start brain storming and giving opinions. It's fantastic and well worth the time!

both, I like seeing everyone's projects coming along, and its fun to sit and chat, but I also like sewing alone, but I think I relax more in a group setting.

Jim
    I love our quilting group, we talk, we sew, we share, we laugh and sometimes nothing gets accomplished. But, that's okay. The time we spend at group is always enjoyable even if it isn't productive. We get new ideas and new inspiration.
    At home, my wife and I can be productive sitting side by side for hours sewing, tv in the background, neighbors cutting grass or 4 wheeling in the distance...our machines hum along getting the work out. I do wish we could sew more when we want and not in selective hours but thats our choice that we made by watching our 4 grandkids 5 days a week. I am as happy about being a part of thier lives as much as I am of my best quilts.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort :lol:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast