Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Do you put a label on your quilts?

Do you put a label on your quilts?

I am finishing up the biggest quilt project that I have ever attempted....and I am thinking about putting a label on the quilts, but I have never done this before. How do you guys put labels on your quilts? I have a short 4 line poem that I wanted to include on the label - - hoping to keep it within 3" square or so. I am considering embroidering the poem and date... then putting the label on the back of the quilt as an applique. Does this seem reasonable? The back of most of the quilts are fleece - can you applique on fleece? What do you guys think?

Blog Entries
    I have sewnsewer2 here on the board machine embroider my labels.
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Thank you for your reply...not sure that I understand what you are saying. Do you embroider right onto your quilt? Or do you embroider on a separate label and apply that to your quilt? If so, how do you apply? Do you applique or just sew the label on?

I would embroider a label then attach to quilt. I wouldn't want to take away from my quilt.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by meyert View Post
    Thank you for your reply...not sure that I understand what you are saying. Do you embroider right onto your quilt? Or do you embroider on a separate label and apply that to your quilt? If so, how do you apply? Do you applique or just sew the label on?
    I have been very pleased with sewnsewer's labels she makes for me. She gives you lots of choices of fonts and colors and even little logos. Here is what I do. After I have ordered and received my label, which comes on a square of cotton with pellon on back for stability, I trim around the pellon. I decided how large I want my label to be and then cut a square of muslin just a bit larger. I trim the label with 1/4 inch extra and with label face down (important!!!) on the muslin, I sew all around with 1/4 inch seam. Then carefully make a small cut in the muslin and turn the label right side out. Then I sew around the outside edge to make it look nice, iron and then blind stitch it onto the back of the quilt. Hope that helps. PM me if you need more info.
    She who dies with the most fabric, didn't sew fast enough!

My mom usually hand writes them on a separate label to the back lower corner. I love that it is in her own handwriting. She signs and dates them also.

Thank you for your responses... I would like the idea of the handwritten label.. except I hate my handwriting I have sent sewnsewer2 a message to see what she has to offer. Thanks again for the information

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SandyinZ4 View Post
    I have been very pleased with sewnsewer's labels she makes for me. She gives you lots of choices of fonts and colors and even little logos. Here is what I do. After I have ordered and received my label, which comes on a square of cotton with pellon on back for stability, I trim around the pellon. I decided how large I want my label to be and then cut a square of muslin just a bit larger. I trim the label with 1/4 inch extra and with label face down (important!!!) on the muslin, I sew all around with 1/4 inch seam. Then carefully make a small cut in the muslin and turn the label right side out. Then I sew around the outside edge to make it look nice, iron and then blind stitch it onto the back of the quilt. Hope that helps. PM me if you need more info.
    What she said!!!!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

If possible, I pick a plain ish piece of fabric used in the making of the quilt and embroider my own label with the available stitches on my Janome 6600P and then fasten it via appliqué with a decorative stitch or by quilting it through all layers. I put mine on the back lower corner and fasten it into the binding so it is not easily removed ;-).

watch out that the weight of the label may pull the stretchy fabric away from the quilt[no matter how light it is---so applique to a closely quilted area

I pick a thread color that blends with back and doesn't stand out too much, then embroider on the backing. That way it can never be removed in case of loss or theft.

I bought a set a pigma pens and make my own labels. Just yesterday, when I was making the bed, I noticed the label on the quilt and thought ..... wow! I made this quilt almost 10 years ago. I print my labels and sometimes draw a little picture. Then I just turn the edges under, press, and hand stitch it to the back corner. Nothing fancy.

Quote Originally Posted by meyert View Post
    Thank you for your responses... I would like the idea of the handwritten label.. except I hate my handwriting I have sent sewnsewer2 a message to see what she has to offer. Thanks again for the information
    Even though you "hate" your handwriting, those who follow you will treasure seeing it and remember you fondly. I just love when I find things written by my parents or other loved ones who have passed on. It's a part of them.
    One step at a time, always forward.

Blog Entries
    I use 'sort of' the same method as SandyinZ4....EXCEPT instead of sewing the label to muslin I sew it to lightweight interfacing, sewing the right side of the label to the bumpy side of the interfacing. Then snip a hole in the interfacing and turn right sides out. Position your label where you want it on your quilt and press it on to fuse it to the quilt. I use a press cloth when I do this. Now the label is firmly attached, has no raw edges and is ready to handstitch on.

A dear friend had some labels made up for me. I used a lot of them. I prefer to not use labels. Just doesn't sound important to me.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I've done it a couple of different ways -
    embroider on the quilt back before quilting
    embroider on a label-size patch and sew onto the quilt back before quilting
    embroider on a label-size patch and sew after quilting
    embroider on the binding prior to attaching...kind of like a running story line. this one takes me the longest but personally think it's the 'coolest'.

No. The recipient knows where it came from, and if they claim they made it, I don't care.

I embroider mine.

Check out my post about quilt labels with photos http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...y-t225060.html
    Sandy
    http://sandyquilts.blogspot.com

Thank you for you responses... gave me somethings to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
    I have sewnsewer2 here on the board machine embroider my labels.
    Ditto.......
    The Trike Riding Quilting Diva

I purchased C. Jenkins Miracle Fabric Sheets and either locate clip art borders/frames that I can add text to, print on fabric side, and follow instructions on the package to heat set and cold set the label, then turn under 1/4" seam and hand sew onto the quilt back. Sometimes, I might use a photo I've taken and add text on top.

I like the idea of using interfacing to make a clean edge. The 1/4" seam turned under isn't that easy to keep straight.
    I do have an embroidery attachment for my machine....only used once in 5+ years. Someday!

Blog Entries
    I print all my labels from card making software program! I label everything I make including table runners (ok I don't label hot pads!!!)
    A quilt is a blanket of love. Sharon

I label all of my quilts.

There are a few different ways to do it and it sounds like you're on the right track!

Yes, you can applique on fleece if you carefully stitch it.

I can't wait to see your finished project. Post pictures of it please!
    QuiltingSupport
    A.K.A. Rebecca
    www.quiltingsupport.com

I use a good grade of muslin cut to whatever size I need to give the information about the quilt. I use a Pigma pen or a fine point Sharpie to hand write the information because I think that is more personal, sort of like having my mother's recipes written in her own hand. I frequently sash the muslin with fabric from the face of the quilt.
    Always put a label on your quilt with your name, the name of the quilter if there is one, the date and the location and if you want, the name of the recipient. Someone in the future will want to know as much about the quilt you have made as they can find out and you are the best one to tell them. froggyintexas