Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you put a label on your quilts? >

Do you put a label on your quilts?

Do you put a label on your quilts?

Old 07-07-2013, 05:04 PM

Default Do you put a label on your quilts?

I am finishing up the biggest quilt project that I have ever attempted....and I am thinking about putting a label on the quilts, but I have never done this before. How do you guys put labels on your quilts? I have a short 4 line poem that I wanted to include on the label - - hoping to keep it within 3" square or so. I am considering embroidering the poem and date... then putting the label on the back of the quilt as an applique. Does this seem reasonable? The back of most of the quilts are fleece - can you applique on fleece? What do you guys think?
Old 07-07-2013, 05:06 PM

I have sewnsewer2 here on the board machine embroider my labels.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:14 PM

Thank you for your reply...not sure that I understand what you are saying. Do you embroider right onto your quilt? Or do you embroider on a separate label and apply that to your quilt? If so, how do you apply? Do you applique or just sew the label on?
Old 07-07-2013, 05:15 PM

I would embroider a label then attach to quilt. I wouldn't want to take away from my quilt.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by meyert View Post
Thank you for your reply...not sure that I understand what you are saying. Do you embroider right onto your quilt? Or do you embroider on a separate label and apply that to your quilt? If so, how do you apply? Do you applique or just sew the label on?
I have been very pleased with sewnsewer's labels she makes for me. She gives you lots of choices of fonts and colors and even little logos. Here is what I do. After I have ordered and received my label, which comes on a square of cotton with pellon on back for stability, I trim around the pellon. I decided how large I want my label to be and then cut a square of muslin just a bit larger. I trim the label with 1/4 inch extra and with label face down (important!!!) on the muslin, I sew all around with 1/4 inch seam. Then carefully make a small cut in the muslin and turn the label right side out. Then I sew around the outside edge to make it look nice, iron and then blind stitch it onto the back of the quilt. Hope that helps. PM me if you need more info.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:19 PM

My mom usually hand writes them on a separate label to the back lower corner. I love that it is in her own handwriting. She signs and dates them also.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:25 PM

Thank you for your responses... I would like the idea of the handwritten label.. except I hate my handwriting I have sent sewnsewer2 a message to see what she has to offer. Thanks again for the information
Old 07-07-2013, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by SandyinZ4 View Post
I have been very pleased with sewnsewer's labels she makes for me. She gives you lots of choices of fonts and colors and even little logos. Here is what I do. After I have ordered and received my label, which comes on a square of cotton with pellon on back for stability, I trim around the pellon. I decided how large I want my label to be and then cut a square of muslin just a bit larger. I trim the label with 1/4 inch extra and with label face down (important!!!) on the muslin, I sew all around with 1/4 inch seam. Then carefully make a small cut in the muslin and turn the label right side out. Then I sew around the outside edge to make it look nice, iron and then blind stitch it onto the back of the quilt. Hope that helps. PM me if you need more info.
What she said!!!!
Old 07-07-2013, 08:08 PM

If possible, I pick a plain ish piece of fabric used in the making of the quilt and embroider my own label with the available stitches on my Janome 6600P and then fasten it via appliqué with a decorative stitch or by quilting it through all layers. I put mine on the back lower corner and fasten it into the binding so it is not easily removed ;-).
Old 07-07-2013, 10:24 PM

watch out that the weight of the label may pull the stretchy fabric away from the quilt[no matter how light it is---so applique to a closely quilted area