Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you Quilt as much in the Summer? >

Do you Quilt as much in the Summer?

Do you Quilt as much in the Summer?

Old 06-07-2011, 06:22 AM

I don't like the heat, therefore, I hang out in the air conditioned house where my sewing room is. Additionally, I have a piece of black velvet up over the western facing window of said room to block out the afternoon sun, which can make that room unbearable. I can sew to my heart's content. So, yes, I quilt as much in the summer as I do at any other time of year! (sometimes MORE)
Old 06-07-2011, 07:04 AM

I quilt year round but I go to a quilt shop every thursday to quilt with other lady's because I know no one else here in town.Just moved here 2010.Hubby has PTSD so hes in the house most of the time.We bought a home with a pool so he could swim.Quiltiny has become my santuarey excause the spelling.We quilt from 10:00am till 5:00pm for $5.oo.I have met quite a few friends.Most are snow birds so dont see them all year.Had our son and family here for 5months so had no time to sew but Praise God they finally bought a home and moved 2weeks ago.3grandsons and a girl.Fight all the time not used to it.Lots of stress.Kept me busy Ill tell ya.I have two larg lap quilts to finish.Then I can make me stuff for house and start Christmas gifts.Yes I said that nauthy word this soon but I have several quilt door kits to make.Wish me luck.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:09 AM

I quilt more in the summer than I actually do in the winter, I am one of those 1% people who gets depressed in the summer because of the sun and heat, so I stay inside in the air conditioning, and quilt.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:14 AM

I quilt less in the summer because of garden and other yard work but when it gets to be near 90 degrees (no humidity) then I come in and work on my many WIP's. I love the longer days and I like to quilt when I have natural daylight. I do have an Ott light over my machine and am working on better lighting in sewing room for this next winter. In the winter I try for 3 projects per month to get caught up. Those are UFO's and I do redwork embroidery. In the summer while I watch the Mariners I do my embroidery work.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:24 AM

I take a vacation from quilting, and read during the summer months.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:37 AM

More in winter than summer. I'm a single mom, so nothing gets done unless I do it, and some of it HAS to get done :) But I love my yardwork/landscaping and DIY projects as well, and can still sew/quilt in the evenings after homework. I use it to reward myself.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:40 AM

I live in the desert, and my seasonal job is really slow in the summer. I quilt way more in the summer. I just bought a bolt of flannel and am starting on chenille rugs for Christmas gifts today!
Old 06-07-2011, 08:41 AM
Power Poster

Summer is so short in Minnesota, so I have to take advantage of the beautiful weather! Rainy days make me change my mind, though!
Old 06-07-2011, 08:45 AM

I'm another school system person, like several who responded. Like them, I do more in summer since I have longer blocks of time to work on it all....
Old 06-07-2011, 09:09 AM

In winter, often it is too cold to be outdoors, in summer, often it is too hot to be outdoors. I just take it as it comes. Quilting gets squeezed in between running errands, friends, and computer (reading this board - ha, ha,)and getting a sewing machine to work properly. I took my "best" machine to get cleaned and lubricated yesterday. Hopefully, I will have no more sewing machine problems for quite a while.