Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Do you quilt through your label or sew it on after quilting?

Blog Entries
    I used to handsew my quilt labels on after the quilting was all done. Then I saw somewhere a while ago (Simply Quilts maybe?) that if you put the label on then quilt through it there's less chance of it coming loose or being taken off by someone.
    I realize the advice was really meant for quilts that go to be judged and may be stolen. I never send mine out for judging.
    So sometimes I quilt first, sometimes I put the label on first.
    What do you do?

My bad, I have yet to place a label on a quilt. I do plan on it in the future. I think I like the idea of putting it on before quilting.

Blog Entries
    I put my my labels on last. I don't like the looks of the quilting going through the words. But I can understand why some choose to put it on first :D:D:D

I try to put a label on before I quilt it like you said. But sometimes it takes me as long as I am quilting it, to think what I want on the label!!

Blog Entries
    i've done both-depends on the quilt- really nothing to do with being a 'show quilt' or not- i've put them on before quilting for some of the kids quilts- they stay on better- longer.
    it just depends- like everything else every quilt is different- and i back it, batt it and label it--individually.
    i read some recommendations from one show that suggested that you actually write all of your information across the top(back) of the quilt so it is a permenent part of the quilt- then cover it with your hanging sleeve.
    i've seen some show requirements where if you have a label on it they want you to stitch a cover over your label- containing different information- which you would remove after the show-
    so every venue seems to be different too

i only put a label first if is a quilt that will be washed repeatedly.

if its an art quilt i put the label on last.

If it's going to be in a corner, I occasionally will catch it in the binding as it is machine stitched, and then just slipstitch the outer edges.

I haven't ever put a label on mine but I think I will stitch through it.

I put mine on after, but think it's a pain in the neck. Never thought of putting it on before quilting it. Could machine sew it on the backing and then quilt it. Sounds good to me.

Blog Entries
    I quilt through all of it except the QR code. The QR code isn't readable if it's quilted.

I have always put mine of first, but you certainly have given me something to think about. Thanks for asking.

I made a quilt that I had planned to enter in a show. Not to be judged just to show it. So I attached the label, with the show's information requiremets which included my address, etc. Then I quilted through it. Ultimately, I ended up not entering it into the show and now it really bugs me that the label is on the quilt with the information on it in this manner. I wish I had just attached it afterwards. I mean really, this quilt was in no danger of being stolen.

I actually plan to make a new label to cover the original one just so that I don't have to feel so irritated by it anymore.

I would consider the type of quilting that will be done and what information you'll put on the label and how it will be used before I made the decision to quilt through a label again.

I hand sew mine on.

Blog Entries
    Lately I have been quilting trough them. I did my first one for a nursing home resident and I didn't want to label coming off.
    Now I like it the labels are not going anywhere so I mostly quilt through all of them

There was a thread not too long ago that told of a quilt in nursing home, another resident took the label off and claimed it as his own. Just a thought.

I put mine on last.

I do not put a label on. Our guild only requires that our
    name be on the quilt for the show. I do embrodier my name
    and the year I made it on a back corner. I quilt over that.

That is a good question. For the first time ever I have labeled a quilt (It's only my 4th or 5th one) I quilted through it, but the whole time was wondering if I was doing it the wrong way.

I sew it on after, usually after the binding is attached.

i sew mine on afterwards... i always thought that if i made it part of the quilting then the edges of the label might not get sewn down.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by aitcht
    i sew mine on afterwards... i always thought that if i made it part of the quilting then the edges of the label might not get sewn down.
    I sew around the edges of the label before I layer the quilt, then quilt through it.

Blog Entries
    I hand embroider all of the label info right onto the quilt. Sometimes on a border or block and sometimes onto the backing. I guess I don't really care for "labels", too conspicuous. I prefer the info to be there but not to take anything away from the quilt design it's self.

Akron, Ohio - Atlanta, GA - Mannheim Germany
    I quilt through mine.