Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you quilt your own? >

Do you quilt your own?

Do you quilt your own?

Old 03-02-2010, 06:31 PM

I do them myself, on my Babylock Quest Plus. I can't afford to send them out and I really don't know anyone who does them. I'm sure I could find someone, but the lack of $$$ makes that point moot.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by dakotamaid
Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
Just curious - I have been wondering how many of you quilt your own quilts (machine or hand) OR send them out to be quilted. I ONLY do mine at home - on the regular sewing machine (Handiquilter is packed away) - I do the Cotton Theory type of quilting.
What is the cotton theory type of quilting? (curious)
It is a type of quilt-as-you-go. You make a sandwich of the quilt block, batting, and backing and sew things together as you go. The "inventor" last name is Cotton. I think if you google "Cotton Method Quilting" you will find more information.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by reginalovesfabric
I quilt my own, I have a gamill quilting machine my brother bought me. I stipple and get lost in my own little world when I'm quilting. This was a used machine but it's a heavy duty Singer/gamill and will last longer than me. I can do a queen size quilt in less than 3 hours.
You have a sweet brother! I am envious - a QUEEN in less that 3 HOURS?? FANTASTIC!
Old 03-02-2010, 09:14 PM

I do all my quilts by hand. Hand quilting is very relaxing for me, and my favorite part of making a quilt.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:19 PM

I do my own, on my regular sewing machine. Its too expensive to send out, and I want to say I made it myself anyways! I do quilt in the ditch, just follow the lines of the blocks, sometimes outline things, and have just learned how to do the free quilting..that is fun and I want to do more of that...I havent tried the "shapes" yet, like hearts and feathers, but that is next!
Old 03-02-2010, 09:36 PM

I quilt my own. I use to have a regular sewing machine on a quilt frame, but my husband bought me a JUKI and so I will keep on quilting. There aren't too many quilters for hire here (at least I only know of one or two) and they are expensive. My LQS will let you rent the long arm for a day for $50 but I like doing my own and if there is a mistake, I know who did it.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by JUNEC
Originally Posted by Olivia's Grammy
I do my own quilting. I have the HQ16. just quilted two queen tops yesterday and today. Have one more queen and a lap waiting. I want to try the Fun and Done and Cotton way. I have one of her patterns. Just need time. Anyone got any extra time they can send me :lol: :lol: :lol:
What is a HQ16? - New to quilting
HQ16 is a handiquilter. Its a longarm machine.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
Just curious - I have been wondering how many of you quilt your own quilts (machine or hand) OR send them out to be quilted. I ONLY do mine at home - on the regular sewing machine (Handiquilter is packed away) - I do the Cotton Theory type of quilting.
I'm a traditional hand quilter who has been learning over the past 46+ years. Over time I found the Marti Michell's Machine Quilting in Sections Book and use a modification of her techniques to quilt in panels. Yes, that means I have seams on the back of the quilt but my quilts that were done over 20 -25 years ago are still in heavy daily use and my stitching has held up. I machine piece and hand quilt but my panels are machine pieced together for strength. The variation in my case is that I don't include the batting into the seams but butt it up snugly to the seam and quickly pin and then stitch it down about 1/4 inch away from the seam. The few repairs that have been needed on these quilts weren't due to my sewing but due to children dragging them and catching them on a nail or something resulting in a tear. I was amazed last summer to see just how well they have held up for my daughter and her family. I'm attaching a scan of the book which I purchased online from http://www.nancysnotions.com/. You can do a search for Marti Mitchell or her book Machine Quilting in Sections.

My top is in 2 or 3 sections and then each border is another section or panel. I quilt a section and then add the next section and quilt it, etc. It's worked well for me all of these years. I've tried other quilt as you go methods and like this one the best. Now there are more choices available and I'm enjoying reading about them on this board and may just try something different one of these days.
Patty
Attached Thumbnails attachment-27731.jpe  
Old 03-02-2010, 09:40 PM

I use to machine quilt all of my quilts. I had one king size quilt done by a professional quilter it was for a wedding gift. I now have a HQ16 and love it. It makes it so nice to do my own quilts and I don't have to fight the throat space on my sewing machine.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by 4dogs
I do my own, on my regular sewing machine. Its too expensive to send out, and I want to say I made it myself anyways! I do quilt in the ditch, just follow the lines of the blocks, sometimes outline things, and have just learned how to do the free quilting..that is fun and I want to do more of that...I havent tried the "shapes" yet, like hearts and feathers, but that is next!
And do you have a special technique of keeping the bult down??