Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you serge the edges of your quilt " sandwich" before binding? >

Do you serge the edges of your quilt " sandwich" before binding?

Do you serge the edges of your quilt " sandwich" before binding?

Old 09-28-2014, 10:28 AM
Power Poster

I serged the edges of a few quilts, then quit doing it. It's harder to get a perfectly straight line on a serger edge, especially if the quilt is large. But the major reason I quit is that it prevents the edges from "fluffing out" inside the binding. I like my bindings to be full, and serging limits that. But the major reason I quit is because the extra serger thread stiffens the edge. I like my quilts to be soft, including the edges. Using a longer stitch would have helped with the stiffening, as less thread would have been used, but I really didn't see the point. Now I do edges the way Cathy77 does. I *mark* the edge with a Sharpie pen, sew on the binding, and only then cut the edges. It's easier for me to control the edge this way.

Edit: Hmmmm, two major reasons I quit. Definitely not enough coffee yet today.....

Last edited by Prism99; 09-28-2014 at 10:38 AM.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:30 AM
Power Poster

NO, I do not. Usually I have quilted a border stencil that keeps the sandwich together when I attach the binding.
Old 09-28-2014, 12:36 PM

I stitch around the edge of the sandwich before I apply the binding. I like to have the edges secure and it makes it a lot easier for me to apply the binding. I don't have a serger but just use a straight stitch about 1/8" in.
Old 09-28-2014, 01:41 PM
Power Poster

I sometimes use a wide zig zag stitch if there are many seams to hold them all together properly while I do binding. Other times I will just do a long basting stitch when it is a simple border.
peace
Old 09-29-2014, 04:31 AM
Power Poster

I don't make t-shirt quilts. For all my quilts I run a long basting stitch all the way around before attaching the binding. This keeps the back from flipping away from the edge. I make the seam as close to the edge and when sewing the binding on the basting stitches are covered and I leave them there.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:29 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Hadn't thought about serging the edges .. Hmmm ..
Old 09-29-2014, 05:56 AM

After my quilting pal told me about over-locking the edges not with a serger but with my Elna stitch n foot, before putting on the binding I gave it a try, now do it on all my quilts.

Love the finished look, also as I always machine stitch my bindings it gives a lovely stable edge to stitch on.
Attached Thumbnails greek-key-binding-stitch.jpg  
Old 09-29-2014, 06:24 AM

Have done a basting-type stitch inside the 1/4" spot if I have a pieced border, otherwise not. Don't have a serger, darn!

I was taught to apply the binding to the front of the quilt before trimming the excess. If the edges are really excessive, I trim them to roughly 2-3 inches, then I line up binding with the fabric edge and sew 1/4" line. Then I cut the quilt edges to 3/8" from the binding seam line so I have a plump binding.

For the first time this week on a baby quilt I cut the edges right to the edge of the border fabric, because I am doing a binding with flange, sewing the back on first. It made things more difficult not to have extra fabric for my walking foot to go on - it was kind of limping if you know what I mean.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:55 AM

I've started doing a zigzag around the edge. It seems to make the binding go on a little neater for me.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:09 AM

I do it to all my quilts now. it makes putting the binding on so much easier because I don't have to fight with the bulk that just trimming it leaves.