Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you sew with friends? >

Do you sew with friends?

Do you sew with friends?

Old 09-19-2015, 05:02 AM

I do have one friend that we sew together and "catch up". I wouldn't mind sewing with a group somewhere besides my house but I hand sew and it seems like most quilters sew on their machines. I like sewing in solitude too.
Old 09-19-2015, 05:35 AM

My BFF Sewing friend comes to sew quite frequently. I have to admit that i don't get much of my own sewing done, as over the last 2 years, I've taught her to quilt. It's gotten better lately, but I still can't focus much on my own projects. I've just learned to enjoy the time together, and try to work together on a project.

I also quilt once per month with a larger group of ladies in a church fellowship hall. While I truly enjoy this group, I find I get about 30 minutes of sewing done in 6 hours. Between set up, show and tell, social time catching up with each of the ladies and lunch, I really should just leave my machine at home and bring some hand stitching.

When I go to retreats, I try to be very project focussed as I'm paying a certain amount of money for the hours of sewing time. Thinking that way helps me to focus on projects.

While I get little done in a group setting, I find that I really enjoy being part of a community of quilters. The trade offs are worth it, in my opinion.
Old 09-19-2015, 05:58 AM

I belong to a bee group that has been meeting twice a month for over twenty years -- once a month we get together at a member's house and meet/eat and sew either on a group project or on our own stuff (a lot of us are doing embroidery projects for quilts)-- lately we have a BOM and show our monthly results and a block drawing (next month we will draw for the winner of fall themed blocks) -- also we have a Christmas row quilt (drawing for a completed quilt at our Christmas party) ready to assemble -- and there is always a show and tell -- our projects are flexible with optional participation -- there is always something to share, something going on -- toward the end of each month we have a meet/eat at a local restaurant where make plans and share -- there are 10 of us at the moment and a really fun, compatible group-- I think the success of this bee is how the group and their projects have been adjusted over the years to fit the members and what they want to do
Old 09-19-2015, 07:01 AM

Once or twice a month. That is only 3 days out of the month of quilting so does it really matter if you do not get a lot done. Think of it as a fun get together day and besides you might pick up a few pointers from others. Yes you can help her as well and get some satisfaction out of that.
Old 09-19-2015, 07:13 AM

I have sewn with friends, and most usually don't get much done. Have also tried the classes the afternoon before guild meets. I don't get much done, as for me, there are too many distractions.
I prefer to sew alone; no distractions, and I can see my progress.
Mariah
Old 09-19-2015, 07:34 AM

To be honest, I don't have any friends that quilt.
That's probably a good thing as I like to do the whole process myself, alone.

There was a time 2 months ago that my aunt, who does not quilt but needed binding instruction, came over and I showed her all I knew about making and applying binding. When the lesson was over I realized I liked it better than I thought I would. I still did not enjoy a another person in my space, but I liked the 'teaching' aspect and seeing her face as she mastered a new thing.

People who take their machine to another place to sew, classes, friend's house, etc amaze me. I really don't think I would get anything done somewhere else.
Old 09-19-2015, 11:20 AM

When one of my best friends moved in with me I moved my sewing room out of the bedroom that became her room and we converted the dining room into our joint sewing room. We had so much fun sewing together, mostly our own projects, but sometimes sharing. Mostly, just being together and discussing design ideas. I miss that time.
Old 09-19-2015, 12:00 PM

It will be fun as long as people can bring small, portable projects and everyone takes turns hosting.
Old 09-19-2015, 11:57 PM

a very dear friend and i used to get together whenever we could to sew, and laugh, fabric shop, and laugh, and have a little wine, and sew, and laugh and have a sleepover, and laugh. sometimes i got a good amount of work done, and sometimes not much got done. of course, we solved all the wor[d's problems. and had a great time. when sewing with a friend there is so much more than sewing going on. on rough days we spent our time boosting one another over problems, and connecting emotionally. it was a very valuable time in my life. worth more than money, or gold. i miss it so much!
Old 09-20-2015, 02:01 AM

My daughter comes over to sew a few times a year when she has the time, but I usually sew by myself. I don't get to sew much while she is here because I'm always helping her with her project. We have a good time.