Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you shop at Connecting Threads?

Do you shop at Connecting Threads?

I get the Connecting Threads catalogue and also their emails. They carry beautiful fabrics. I'm confused as to why their prices are so much lower than all other designer fabric. Is the cotton inferior? I have ordered and it seems to be good quality. Does anyone have insight on this? I'm also wondering if you have used their thread for machine quilting? Does it compare to well known brands? Thanks.
    Lisa

I have used their fabrics many times and they always seem to be high quality. I know they only do their own line and maybe they can have more control over their costs. Their shipping charges etc are also always reasonable.
    Lori - MamaBear

i have used thread from them, and it works fine for machine piecing and hand sewing. i haven't hand quilted with it yet, so i can't attest to that.

MTS
    Banned
    Off the top of my head -

No middleman.
    Imagine if Kaufman or Hoffman were selling direct to you.
    No salesman or wholesalers (Checkers/United Notion, etc.) or shipping costs (like from Asia to Kaufman warehouse to Checkers warehouse to the LQS - you're ultimately paying for ALL those transportation costs).
    And each step/stop has its own mark-up.

Their fulfillment operation is part of a larger company, so there are economies of scale there.

Also, they can make a bit less per yard but make it up on volume.
    Last edited by MTS; 10-12-2012 at 09:17 AM.

Their quality is not as good as quilt store brands, IMO. Lots of threads on this if you do a search.

Haven't bought any thread yet but it's one of my favorite catalogues to order from!

Blog Entries
    i use their thread in my juki on my frame. it is a bit linty, but i'm happy with it
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

I haven't bought any fabric from them since they it was no longer American produced. Not their fault - everything went offshore. I really don't like their designs as much but it's a personal preference. Their thread was great with my Brother machine, but way too linty with my Bernina, so I stopped buying it. My suggestion is to buy a spool or two and see how your machine behaves with it. I still have my Brother machine, but only piece with it now, so I can still use up the thread that I bought.

Super Member pumpkinpatchquilter's Avatar
    I have used a lot of their thread in the past because you just can't beat the price for the selection. After a little scuffle with them over customer service about a year ago I haven't ordered since though. They sort of said "if you're not happy with us then don't let the door hit ya on the way out..." for the most part. I think that kinda stinks. As far as the fabric, in all fairness, I like it and have never had any issues. I actually really like their thread and was super bummed after my experience with them. Customer service is huge to me though so for future orders I'm spending a little more and buying Superior thread. They have been outstanding in that department.

I'd say if you're unsure try it and decide for yourself. Free shipping over $50 when purchasing online is a great enticement. I don't think there is anything wrong with their products.

Edited to add: No I don't think it compares to Superior or Aurifil or some of the higher end brands. It compares more to Coats and Clark thread in my opinion and I like Coats and Clark but my sewing machine doesn't! If I had a choice between C&C and CT, even though they ticked me off I'd pick CT.
    Last edited by pumpkinpatchquilter; 10-12-2012 at 09:45 AM.
    Valerie Smith - pumpkinpatchquilter
    Obsessed Quilter and APQS Long Arm Machine Quilter
    www.pumpkinpatchquilter.com

There fabric quality is excellent!! I order from them often. Their price for their Batik fabrics is great. I recently called them asking they come out with some "Shabby Chic" fabric prints for a change. Many of their prints are too "cutsie" for me but many I also like.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

Blog Entries
    I used to feel that their fabric was "thready" . But today, much of what you buy in the LQS is just as "thready".

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    i use their thread in my juki on my frame. it is a bit linty, but i'm happy with it
    I agree with the thread being linty. I have no problem with the overall quality of it. When I use it I have to remember to clean my machine when I change the bobbin. The fabric I've ordered from them has been decent.

I have bought their Essential Pro thread for my Janome 1600P-DB. My Janome is really picky about thread but it loves the Essential Pro. So whatever makes the machine happy, makes me happy. It is linty but cleaning the machine is not a big deal. I have also used their regular thread for piecing. It is strong, works well and looks good. What more could you ask for.

I have bought from them for years! I love their batiks, and have used a few of the cottons. Great threads also.
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Blog Entries
    I have ordered from CT several times and love their fabric and thread. I have a Janome and it sews beautifully with their thread. The fabric has a nice weight and feel to it.
    Sherri

I love their fabric and the prices! I just ordered a bunch of batics. I've ordered many times and always been pleased.
    Mary

I absolutely love their batiks and find them comparable to ones I've bought locally at quilt shops. Their thread is not Aurifil, but neither is the price anywhere near comparable. My machines all love it. I've gotten fabrics from clearance that were amazing buys. I haven't had any experience with their customer service folks so can't comment on that. I agree that some of their lines are too cutesy and limited as to use, but those I don't buy.

I've mostly ordered books (great sale prices) - and fat quarters - i have never been disappointed in quality - and things always seem to arrive very quickly.
    Of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    Their quality is not as good as quilt store brands, IMO. Lots of threads on this if you do a search.
    I haven't found this to be the case with Connecting Threads. I am very happy with the quality of fabric purchased and how quickly and correctly my orders have been processed. I will continue to purchase from Connecting Threads as I get more bang for the buck! (hence, more projects!)

I love their fabrics....order the quilters candy solids quite a bit....the fabric is great quality and excellent prices....I also use the cotton thread too....it's great that you can match the thread to fabrics.....they have great sales, right now it's 30% off batting.....Connecting Threads is my goto online shop for fabrics!

I like CT. I use their thread, I buy when they have 40% off sales. I really like their thread collections, it is a good way to get a thread stash with lots of colors. It is linty but I have always cleaned my bobbin area every time I change the bobbin (taught that by grandma). Their kits are good with plenty of fabric and they have good clearance prices. I have never had any problems with orders and they ship quick.

Blog Entries
    Good thread, good fabric, great customer service..... and a group of us combine our orders for free shipping.

I love their thread, use it for piecing and machine quilting. I have a Bernina and have never had a problem. I clean my bobbin and under the stitch plate everytime I have to rewind my bobbin though, no matter what thread I use.

I've lost track of the number of times I've ordered from CT. Every order has been correct and has arrived very quickly.

My Husqvarna 875 Quilt loves their thread. Yes, slightly linty, but since I clean the bobbin area every time I wind a new bobbin, it isn't a problem.

I find their fabric to be high quality and I always stock up during their sales. Almost every FQ package has had an extra "short" FQ included.

We don't qualify for free shipping here in Hawai`i but I've never been charged more than the minimum ($7.50) no matter how large the order.

They also have a nice board. Not as active as this one (Is there a more active quilting board anywhere? Not to my knowledge.) but the members are just as nice as the members on this board. And that counts a lot.

Blog Entries
    been shopping with them for a couple years- no complaints-
    the fabrics are ok, i like the threads; i use the cotton threads for piecing sometimes & for bobbins- i use the poly machine quilting threads and my machine loves them- no lint- nice thread-
    i use the silk threads for applique-and love it.
    i also buy batting on sale from them-
    free shipping at $50= i can always meet that
    never had any issues with orders, customer service, or inferior products.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast