Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
do you spray baste? >

do you spray baste?

do you spray baste?

Old 10-16-2012, 07:09 AM

I love spray basting! It has made such a big difference in the quality of my quilts. I had tried taping my backs down, then clamping & I just could not get my backs flat enough. I usually put in a few pins for safe measure especially if it's a large quilt. I do a lot of glue basting with smaller projects & bindings too.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:23 AM

I do not spray baste. Most of my quilts are either small enough where I can pull both the top and bottom taught when pinning, or big enough where I have to lay it on the floor. In cases of bed quilts, I feel like I wouldn't be able to get the quilt all square. I lay on it, and start pinning from the center out. I secure the backing first, then layer the batting, then put the top on. Then I make sure the quilt top is taught going out from the center, and usually the back is fine.

For the smaller projects, like I said, I just make sure the top and back are taught at the same time, working out from the center. Haven't had any problems doing it that way, though I will say I wish I had a rack for medium-sized lap quilts. I don't think I'll try spray basting, but that's just me. It seems like an unnecessary chemical. Safety pins for me!
Old 10-16-2012, 07:27 AM

I pin baste. Since my knee surgery I've been pinning on top of my cutting table (which is an old dining room table with several leaves). I'm kind of frugal. So, since I've already bought the pins I figure I may as well continue to use them since I have never had an issue with puckers on my backs. I pin very closely (a palm width apart) as recommended by Alex Anderson. I also like the sound of those pins hitting wood! That soft clink, clink is appealing for some reason :-)
Old 10-16-2012, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by mrsponcho1 View Post
Wondering if you can hand quilt thru the Elmers School White Glue and also how big were the quilts you used the glue on?
I've used the Elmer's School Glue, on a twin sized quilt (the largest I've made, so far). You don't have to use a lot of glue; "dotting it on" works just as well but takes more time, than the drizzle method. I don't hand quilt but have hand-attached bindings, through it. If the glue isn't thick, it's pretty easy for a hand needle to go through. It's probably a good idea to try hand-quilting through it, on a small project, first.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:01 AM
Power Poster

When I have used the Elmer's School Glue I just drizzled it on in a grid onto the batting, then smoothed the backing on it and let dry. Some folks iron at that point to speed the drying process but I just waited. Then flipped it over and drizzled onto the batting again and smoothed out the front. I've done this twice and it has worked well. The biggest is about 5 feet square. I didn't hand quilt, but, the needle on the machine had no problem with it, and it all washed out.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
I've used spray twice and liked it once

The time I liked it - it was a small wall hanging and I was able to accomplish it by laying it on my front stoop.

The time I didn't like it, it was a twin size quilt. I didn't have a place to hang it, so I laid plastic sheeting on the floor of my husbands shop. It was very hard - even with two people - to get everything layered partly because our feet were sticking to the plastic sheet where we had overspray. It was horrible!!! On top of that, the spray DRIFTS!! And it can drift FAR!!! I was a good 12 feet away from my husbands "stuff" but we still found it to be tacky.

So I might use it again if it's a small project and I can take it outside on a wind less day ... but I will NEVER use it inside again - regardless of how much space I have. It was an experience I don't ever want to repeat. I doubt I would even do it if I had a place to hang the quilt.

I DID however really like the way it holds the layers together. It did the job.
Try Elmers glue next time, start from the middle and work out, easy and everyting stays flat.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Sarah in Brooklyn View Post
how does that work?
You can watch her video at www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhwNylePFAA

Her method works for any size quilt. I use my kitchen table and for larger quilts I set another table at the end of the table to get more length. You could pin baste this way also.

Last edited by Kat Sews; 10-16-2012 at 09:40 AM.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:50 AM

I am working on a baby quilt Noah's Ark and I use the spray because it isn't as stiff as the webbing.. hopefully the quilt will be nice and soft for our newest grandchild this winter.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:17 AM

I use it only when quilting placemats,etc on my domestic.If you are doing mugrugs I do not feel it is necessary on small items with a walking foot.