Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Do you think I can do this in two weeks?

Exactly what I would have suggested. You will have to quilt it yourself, probably stitch in the ditch.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by deedum
    I would like to make a quick quilt for someone's birthday, is it possible to put one together in 2.5 weeks, or am I dreaming? I need something that works for fishing, cabin,lake sort of thing, I found fabric but not sure what kind of pattern that is quick, like super quick. I only have weeknites and one weekend to do this
    How about 8 or 10 inch squares of your fishing fabric and a matching solid to make a checkerboard. That would be fast and easy.

I will echo above - keep it simple, and small and yes you can do it.

Quote Originally Posted by carolaug
    I just started to quilt and did my first wall quilt in 21 hours. My friend did hers at the same time, so she could show me how to do it. It would have been faster, but I have never quilted before and also had to be shown how to thread my machine. My quilts on on my blog Thriftyideastoday - I one I really like is the one that is on the wall. The one I just made yesterday is ok but a little plain, I was just trying a new technic but I really am not thrilled on the large square in the middle. . I need to bind that one today.
    I think I took a similar amount of time for my first wall quilt. The most time consuming part of the whole process for me was sewing on the binding.

Banned
    dreaming of a simple life. Living off the grid!
    Warm Wishes or Jacobs Ladder

Split Rail Fence from Quilt In A Day or another pattern in which you sew wof strips together and then cut the block out it is also important that the pattern has a larger middle rai fence. The middle fence rail can be the scencic fabric (cabin or wild life) the smaller rails can be contrasting colors.

Here is the link so you can kind of see what I mean.

http://www.quiltinaday.com/shoponlin...ilt&i=635&pg=4

It focusses on children but I use this all the time if I have a scenic print I wan to display and people always love it.

I would like to make a quick quilt for someone's birthday, is it possible to put one together in 2.5 weeks, or am I dreaming? I need something that works for fishing, cabin,lake sort of thing, I found fabric but not sure what kind of pattern that is quick, like super quick. I only have weeknites and one weekend to do this
    Rag quilt, 10" by 10" squares!

Do a baby takes 3. It takes 3 fabrics that are 3/8 yd each plus enough for the borders and backing. It takes about 3 hours. There are alot of fishing and cabin type fabrics out there. You can even use flannel for the back to make it more snuggleble I know its not a word but you get my meaning.

I have done the 9-patch pizzazz by Judy Sisneros and made 6 of these for grandchildren in record time for Christmas last year (one of which was a fishing quilt for a 16 yr.old grandson) There are 2-12" squares. The link is judysisneros.com

Blog Entries
    Just don't visit this site as often as I do (and I love it, don't get me wrong) and you'll get it done. I keep going through this site and changing my mind all the time as to which design I'd like to do!
    Judy

Very good idea! I like the design. Another one on my to-do list!
    Quote Originally Posted by RedGarnet222
    A Warm wishes quilt is a fast, down and dirty quilt that looks much more complicated than it is. It is a breaze to make. I am not sure I can find the instructions tonight, but if you are interested, I will find it for you tomorrow. Basicly it is just a feature fabric that you pull three colors from for the other three fabrics you buy. Then you decide what size blocks you want and cut them out. Then you cut the three fabrics into strips that when they are sewn together equal out to the same size as your original cut blocks. Sew the strips all the same. Then divide them by the cross cuts, making a square. It is the way you turn the blocks that creates the pattern. That is it! It creates the different colored frames around your feature fabric. Easy Peasy!
    In the meantime, here is a link to some pictures on them.

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&s...=&oq=&gs_rfai=

Then you just have to layer with a 80/20 batting and backing, pin every thing into place to keep it there and do a simple stitch in the ditch 10 inches apart. (Or closer if you wish. The 80/20 allows you to quilt 10 inches apart) Cut off the batting and put your bias binding on.

MNM

Do a sew and flip, it is all done at once and the batting and quilting are all finished when you sew on the last strip. Bind it and you are done. You could do it in one night or maybe two if you do the binding by hand. MNM

Blog Entries
    how about a whole cloth quilt in a fabic and backing that goes with the style of the person you are gifting?

I agree with you sharonb, rag quilts are fun and quick and easy. come out really cute too!

Power Poster
    Oh are you ambitious!

Yes, you can !!!

I made a "french braid quilt" - I was so surprised at how fast it went together and it was fast to cut it out too. You can do it!

Go to Quilters Cache and look at the blocks that have 1 dot. They are pretty simple.

Senior Member Cheshirecatquilter's Avatar
    Rail fence is an easy design. You don't even need a pattern. Just make multicolor blocks by strip piecing, then measure the width and cut them into squares. Join at right angles. Put on borders if desired to stretch it to what ever size you want.

I live in that area....where is this shop? The Creative Quilts shop I mean

No problem. The only question is how much time over the next 2 weeks? This will say how easy of complex you can get.

Ofg course the simplist is just blocks. Or you can make a 9 patch with 10" squares then cut the 9 patch in quarters rotate them and stitch them back together. Goes quick.

Log caboins are also very easy since you just cut all 2.5" strips (or bigger) at certain lengths.

Or you can do a strip quilt. Cut all WOF strips at a certain width, say 2.5". Stitch them together in rows, but every other row should start with a half length of fabric, so the seams are staggered.

Good luck!!

Blog Entries
    I've gotten by with that theory more than once. :P

If you make colour wash or bargello, the top can be made in one day (I do it regularly). Then put the back and batting on the next day. It depends how elaborately you quilt as to how long the next bit takes. Do in the ditch straight lines or big cornelli work to make it go faster. Then you need to bind it, so put aside another day - 5 to 6 days at least.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    the first jean quilt I did, I put the top together in a day, as a mater of fact, I had the whole thing done in a week, and that was with all the embroidrey on it, and batting and quilting. I was down in pain for three days, but I got it done. Now I have to do that miracal again for my middles sons birthday, and I can't start that until I have this months doll quilt done, hopfully I can finish it tomorrow. God bless.

Quote Originally Posted by deema
    You could also try to find a fishing related panel, do a large center panel with coordinating fabrics for a few borders...

The one in my avatar took me about three weeks, including a 4 day trip away from home, and working around the schedule my infant dictates, AND it was my first ever.
    Great job!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast