Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Do you think that some fabrics are worth more? Say 75 cents?

If what they are telling us is true as the supply of fabrics clears out, all the new fabrics will be high because the grey goods are going up in China. Connecting Threads sells American fabric but we do not have many mills left. Maybe they will come back?

I buy some backing (wide width) fabrics wholesale for my long arm business and even without looking at my books I know that I am paying lots more per yard than I did say 5 years or even just a year or two ago. Add the shipping and the price per yard is astronomical. And blenders or basics have gone up in price also.

Some customers think I am being greedy, others understand that newer backings and other fabics are more expensive, same story as the grocery or any other store.

Longarm

I certainly hope the U.S. mills reopen. It would be wonderful to have our people working again!!

I saw a news blurb a few weeks ago where some of the Chinese workers are demanding higher wages, maybe this will help send work back here.

I personally believe the government should impose a tariff on all imported products, like they did years back, when there was a tariff people bought AMERICAN because imports were as expensive as products made here.

I also remember family members who had fought in WW2 who would not allow anything from Japan in their homes. They did not believe in supporting the country who committed the atrocities the Japanese had done. Food for thought for our current generation.

Longarm

Longarm

Price is really a factor for me....I seldom splurge on anything except the focus fabric. The rest I try to buy as inexpensively as I canwith it still being nice quality!

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by martha jo
    If what they are telling us is true as the supply of fabrics clears out, all the new fabrics will be high because the grey goods are going up in China. Connecting Threads sells American fabric but we do not have many mills left. Maybe they will come back?
    If you read carefully what Connecting Threads says about their fabric... they don't say that the fabric is made in the USA, just that the cotton for it is grown in the USA. Now... doing a little more research (here: http://unctad.org/infocomm/anglais/cotton/market.htm)
    you can see that having the cotton grown in the USA is not unusual in that we're the second largest grower of cotton in the world.

But reading further on that link, China is actually the biggest consumer of cotton. And... I suspect it's because China is where the greige goods (raw fabric) is made.

And they do not say where their fabrics are printed, either.

So you have to read between the lines sometimes to get the whole story!

Several years ago someone in the industry informed me that all the cotton combing machinery had left our shores over a decade ago. Thus it's not likely that the industry will return. Even most of the printing is done overseas. Santee is the only company that I know of that still prints in the USA.

np3
    Blog Entries
    With me it is all about color or about something that really speaks to me. I will pay the premium price for it.

I watch for sales and stock up when I find them in my colors or favorite themes. And I usually end up selling it on eBay when I can't find a use for it. (Or here)

I buy online when it is a fabric that I have seen in a shop so I know what the colors really are. I do this a lot for charm packs. If it is something I am unfamiliar with, I hesitate to buy it because I have made past purchases that were not what I expected when i received them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by litacats
    Quote Originally Posted by lindyline
    Wow, do you really pay so little for fabric?
    I have one shop near me that is $9 to $12 per metre(39").
    It's a little old fashioned fabric shop. All the LQS charge $24 to $30 per metre. I thinnk it's time for a move.
    the lqs in bunbury seams to charge $22.00 for everything.
    Ahh, yes, the lovely tarriffs I would assume are adding to your prices in Australia. I'm not sure what the current exchange rates are but it does seem steep. Of course I'm becoming familiar with some of your quilting and needlework magazines ---there in is my budget downfall! I really am disliking all publications that you have to wait and buy the next issue --sometimes two months later-- in order to have the whole pattern and directions! Love the applique work I've seen recently.

Quote Originally Posted by WilliP
    Quote Originally Posted by litacats
    Quote Originally Posted by lindyline
    Wow, do you really pay so little for fabric?
    I have one shop near me that is $9 to $12 per metre(39").
    It's a little old fashioned fabric shop. All the LQS charge $24 to $30 per metre. I thinnk it's time for a move.
    the lqs in bunbury seams to charge $22.00 for everything.
    Ahh, yes, the lovely tarriffs I would assume are adding to your prices in Australia. I'm not sure what the current exchange rates are but it does seem steep. Of course I'm becoming familiar with some of your quilting and needlework magazines ---there in is my budget downfall! I really am disliking all publications that you have to wait and buy the next issue --sometimes two months later-- in order to have the whole pattern and directions! Love the applique work I've seen recently.
    Interesting you thoughts about the import duties raising the prices of fabric in Australia. So I did a little research and found that the maximum import duty payable is 15%, which has come down from 52% since 1996. I would think that 15% would be the minimum any import would attract. All quilting fabric is imported into Australia as we have no local manufacturers.

So, if the import duty has come down, and even allowing for shipping, we paying at least double per metre what you are paying in the US. Someone is making an awful lot of money from us. And I dont think its the LQS.

Just for interests sake, what do you pay for a single edition of Australian Patchwork and Quilting?

Quote Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
    Just today I was looking at some of the new ones coming out by Robert Kaufman - they're Patrick Lose designs - and they're going to cost, on the wholesale level, about 75 cents more per yard than other companies' basic blenders.

Do you think the price difference is warranted? Are there certain basics and blenders that you think are worth paying more for? Which ones? How much more?
    To make a king-size quilt it takes about nine yards to make the top. Your focus fabric is probably about a third of that, and the blenders are between a third and two thirds. Either way, it's probably at most 6 yards of blenders. 75 cents wholesale equates to $1.50 or so retail. Now, in my opinion, another $9 or so isn't that critical if the color is perfect. But, if a perfect color match isn't of the greatest importance, then I'd probably buy cheaper fabric.

Same with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Linda B
    This isn't something I've really given much thought to, but it does seem that blenders, solids, and near solids should cost a little less. I would think they would be cheaper to produce due to less design time, ink changes -- whatever. A dollar - a dollar and a half less than more patterned fabric seems reasonable to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
    The beauty of any fabric, of course, likes in how it looks in the finished quilt.

And there have been many discussions on the differences in quality between quilt-shop fabrics and chain-store fabrics.

But, of the quilt-shop fabrics, when you're talking "basics" or blenders... fabrics that you probably bought because they were just the right color... are there certain lines that you think are worth more?

Let me explain where I'm going with this. Pretty much every fabric company has a line of basics/blenders. And some companies give you a little bit of a quantity discount, and some don't. All the prices have been inching up (well, ok, more than inching in some cases!). Just today I was looking at some of the new ones coming out by Robert Kaufman - they're Patrick Lose designs - and they're going to cost, on the wholesale level, about 75 cents more per yard than other companies' basic blenders.

Do you think the price difference is warranted? Are there certain basics and blenders that you think are worth paying more for? Which ones? How much more?
    The reason you might pay more for some fabrics have to do with a few things.
    #1 If the line is from a well known quilter and thay want more money from the company that is repping them.
    #2 The thead count is higher.
    #3 How many cooridents are in the group.
    I worked in Textiles and there are many factors just to mention a few. It coast about 1.25 per yd to print the fabric. but to develop the line could run from 3,000 to 6,000. After the line is printed it has to be shipped. This could be from India, China, South Korea, Vietnam, Indonisia. Notice not in AMERICA. The shipping coast has to be figured in. When you see all thoes huge cargo ships with thoes huge containers on them.. well some of them are filled with fabric. and that coast about 5,ooo per container or even more. Then the fabric has to go to a wearhouse to be sourted and rolled onto bolts and shipped to store's. now mors coast is added. The store pays about 3.50 to 4.oo a yrd. we pay 9.00 and up. Batiks coast more because the printing is different. They are dyed and thats a whole different process. I hope this answers some of youe questions.

I go and get the colour/pattern I want and think about the price after. I just try and go when there are sales on.

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl
    so i guess it really comes down to knowing your regular customers...especially about designer fab's like the patrick lose, those fabrics have very identifiable characteristics (like Kaffe Fasset fabrics) some like them and some do not. those who love them will buy them, those who don't find them to be (all-that) will not. so knowing your customer base is important. do your regular return customers like the types of subject matter/ fabrics lines from patrick lose? if they do, they will pay the increase. if they are more into traditional over novelty they probably will not. it is all relative/ and very regional. some designers do very well in some areas and do not do well in others. some areas can handle increases, some can not. personally...i buy what i need/sparks me...i do look at the price; if i think it is too high or i think i can find it else where for less and i do not need it right away i wait and look else where but if i need it today, i buy it, and if it is unique, haven't seen it elsewhere i buy it. price matters but everything goes up, nothing we can do about it. i used to complain about having to pay a whole dollar for fabric, when i was in 4-H a hundred years ago...now i pay $10 for the same fabrics...
    I remember borrowing 75cents from my dad to get a dress pattern and he said "75 cents for a pattern? You have to be kidding!" Haha! Now we're paying $7.50 for a pattern at 1/2 off!! Everything inches up - and we can pay it or not, but we can't keep it from happening!

I order on line from fabric.com they have good fabric for a low price of $5 or less. Also, some more expensive, all good fabric. I have never been disapointed.

Blog Entries
    Aaaah yes....when I was in the "land down under" I was flabbergasted at the price of quilting fabric. I bought some, of course, the Aussie looking patterns, but I couldn't imagine anyone affording to buy on a regular basis. Must be why I didn't run across very many quilters either.

I'm with you Lindy, my LQS is between $22-30 a metre as well.
    They currently have a couple of rows of fabric out for $10/metre but most of it is fabric that I am not partial too.

They will be having a clearance sale (which I am told will be worth it) next Jan. so I am saving my pennies for that. In the meantime the exchange rate is very good so it is actually worth while buying online as even with postage it is still cheaper than my local. Only problem is the colour is often not quite what you expected being as you saw it online :lol:

Maybe1day

I haven't bought any fabric in about 6 months as I'm not working right now, so I have no play money. The last time I was in the LQS, I just about died when I saw the prices. Most were $9.50-$11 per yard, I'll shop from my extensive stash. I can afford that.

well as a former quilt shop owner I have to say it's not the shop that sets the prices it's the fabric company and you will get a better quality fabric from a quilt shop than a chain store. I always hated to see the prices go up when I ordered fabric and I tended to try to keep my prices the same even though they were raised on me because i knew I would hear complaints from my loyal customers, but that said just remember you will get what you pay for, The shop owner is only trying to make a living the same as everyone else

Blog Entries
    Man I must be cheap. I have no fabric over $5.00 a yard and most under $4.00. I wait for sales or yard sales where others have decided to get rid of their stash.Well-------- that's my story. Probably not important to make a life changing decision.

I recently found a picture of a quilt I want to make. I have lots of the colors I want, but the wide sashing is a special piece and takes 4 1/2 yds. It is available, but at 9.95 a yd. Sorry way out of my price range. I have been finding a lot of beautiful material at garage sales and estate sales, but I guess for this one I will have to find a more reasonable substitute. With a limited income, I really have to watch for sales. sigh.......

I find that the quality at the LQS is better which shows in the end product. A while back I made a table runner with all LQS fabric but I needed one more fabric to finish off so I used a discount store fabric and it stretched and lost it's shape. The table runner looked awful. I with the ladies that go on feel. Some fabrics are fine at the discount stores but you just have to be choosy. I also like the personal attention from the LQS. Last week I was buying fabric and the owner said she was going to just give me the rest of the bolt for free. There was over a yard of fabric!

You folks are something else! I love this board, and I learn so much from all of you every time I log on! It's like sitting down and having a heart-to-heart with each of you. Thank you all!

I just got the Australia's magazine and paid $10.95. I don't mind paying that much,but, it is always hard to find. The issues have numbers instead of the months and sometimes they are old issues by the time we get them. I love to get all the international magazines.
    Back to the price of fabric, you only get what you pay for. I like sales also but it is hard for the LQS to have them on a regular basis. They do lose money on the fabric if it goes below 40%. They are hoping that you will grab a notion or two. The fabric manufactures set the price, then the s&h gets added, then the tax. Please support the LQS, without them we would not have quilt shows, quilds and shop hop's I never saw walmart ever getting interested in quilting activities. Shop online if you must, but again it does look differant from the ad and why it is cheap because there isn't overhead cost. but it's also not personable you don't get help choosing the fabric. feeling it and seeing it first hand.

In Australia it seems that the fabric is expensive, but what is the exchange rate? In Europe a few years ago I went to a shop and I was shocked at how much,and they had the same fabric as the U.S. It would have been the same as in the U.S. if I could have paid with american dollars.

I have quite a bit of blender fabrics, but it always seems none of them match what you want them for. ANYWAYS I hardly ever pay full price for fabric unless I just need a small amount for a quilt. I buy most of my fabrics at Joann's with their 40% off coupons or just on sale for 40% or 50% off. If I have the time I will buy the fabrics over a few weeks as the coupons come in. I don't really like the really cheap fabrics either, they don't feel good to the touch.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2