Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Do you use batting in your table runners/toppers?

I usually use a very thin cotton batting inside, or if I happen to be out of that, a layer of white flannel works.

Joann's has quilted solids that i love for table toppers & place mats.
    Easy & durable.

I would use batting of some sort in case you need to sit something warm/hot on the table. I keeps the heat from damaging the surface of the table.

Blog Entries
    I love this Christmas table runner. The randomly placed squares remind me of everyone scurrying around at this holiday season.
    Quote Originally Posted by grma33
    After buying a runner kit at Novi and inside was iron interfacing I now use this and love it.
    Gale

Blog Entries
    Your no fabric pledge is exactly my New Year's Resolution as I was trying to rearrange too large a stash to find a particular color combo last evening. Hope we can stick to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeannette in NJ
    Glad to hear so many of you use flannel, I do also. Was able to buy 10 yards of white at Joanne's on Black Friday. Hope that is enough for this year as I took the NO FABRIC pledge,

Jeannette in NJ, USA

Blog Entries
    I use light weight batting, felt, double layers of flannel or iron-on interfacing. Much of it depends on the type runner it is whether season or otherwise. I like the batting best anduse Elmer's spray adhesive to hold sections in place. When washed, it dissolves. Just a little messy but with practice have learned to keep in off my hands.

I've used flannel and left over fusible batting...thin. Just gives a little more umph. BUT since it just sits on the cooking island, think going forward, maybe won't but anything inside. Just love the spash of color they add to my kitchen.

Quote Originally Posted by Karyn
    Quote Originally Posted by miss_ticky2
    I've just made one...I used insulbrite so it gives a bit of protection (I hope) for the table if it's used for hot dishes
    I always fold mine up out of the way if its just me and hubby sitting down to the table. If I have company, I remove it completely. I don't want anything spilled on it!!
    My friend said she sprays her table runners with a fabric protection spray so the spills will wash away. May in Jersey

Glad to hear so many of you use flannel, I do also. Was able to buy 10 yards of white at Joanne's on Black Friday. Hope that is enough for this year as I took the NO FABRIC pledge,

Jeannette in NJ, USA
    Me too. On my To Do List for 2011 are several scrap quilts made only from my stash. A while ago I bought about 10 yards of muslin at 50% off and plan to use it as the background fabric for the quilts. That should keep me plenty busy in the new year. May in Jersey

Thanks so much for all these suggestions! I'd been using Warm and Natural because I didn't know about all these options.

What a great idea!
    Quote Originally Posted by May in Jersey
    Quote Originally Posted by Karyn
    Quote Originally Posted by miss_ticky2
    I've just made one...I used insulbrite so it gives a bit of protection (I hope) for the table if it's used for hot dishes
    I always fold mine up out of the way if its just me and hubby sitting down to the table. If I have company, I remove it completely. I don't want anything spilled on it!!
    My friend said she sprays her table runners with a fabric protection spray so the spills will wash away. May in Jersey

my mom started using interfacing... we both got bolts of it when it was super cheap one day at joann's. I haven't tried it yet though.

Yes, I do. I am a traditionalist! If it isn't a puffy, it isn't a "quilt!!" :)

I use Warm and Natural because it is cotton. Sometimes, I will put a candle jar or a candle on a candle plate on the runner and feel safer with the cotton batting. I do like the feel of it.

After buying a runner kit at Novi and inside was iron interfacing I now use this and love it.
    Gale
    I bought the same kit in Novi at the Sewing Expo. I have made several for different holidays. I agree, fusible interfacing is great.

Like some of the others have commented, I usually use insulbrite. I did use flannel on some dresser scarves for my sons bedroom and they turned out nicely too.

Quote Originally Posted by May in Jersey
    I always did but recently found a few patterns that don't. Store bought ones don't have batting so I'm thinking I could skip that step. What do you do? May in Jersey
    I use Thermore batting, it gives substance and quilts up nicely, but does not give uneven bumps in the table runners or table mats, just fills out the quilting designs. It is about the same thickness as a piece of fabric, but quilts up nicer. It also adheres to the fabric so stays in place when quilting.

Hi Michigan love the Novi Show too Never miss it. It's Mom and Daughters week end. Lorie from Muskegon

Gale
    i love this runner!! So cute!

I use Warm & Natural in my runners & placemats. i feel much better putting a hot cup of coffee on them or something similar. Plus, I try lots of free motion on my items, so I really like batting. I sell them too & haven't had any complaints w/washing or drying.

Yes, I think they act like a table protector that way, without looking tacky.

I was wondering if anyone uses Peltex (the kind used for the center of fabric postcards) for their table runners or even place mats?

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA

I will use flannel, or even a very thin fleece, so things sit flat when placed on the topper

Quote Originally Posted by judylg
    The last one I sewed up I used white flannel, it gives the piece some substance and yet it does not feel as heavy as a quilt. I like it, too.
    I do this too, also great in baby quilts for warmer climates

Blog Entries

Jeannette in NJ, USA
    Aaargh! The No Fabric pledge. After checking my stash, methinks I need to sign on, too and make up what I have. I probably could stay busy all year!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast