Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you use batting in your table runners/toppers? >

Do you use batting in your table runners/toppers?

Do you use batting in your table runners/toppers?

Old 12-10-2010, 07:40 AM

I use light weight batting, felt, double layers of flannel or iron-on interfacing. Much of it depends on the type runner it is whether season or otherwise. I like the batting best anduse Elmer's spray adhesive to hold sections in place. When washed, it dissolves. Just a little messy but with practice have learned to keep in off my hands.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:41 AM

I've used flannel and left over fusible batting...thin. Just gives a little more umph. BUT since it just sits on the cooking island, think going forward, maybe won't but anything inside. Just love the spash of color they add to my kitchen.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Karyn
Originally Posted by miss_ticky2
I've just made one...I used insulbrite so it gives a bit of protection (I hope) for the table if it's used for hot dishes
I always fold mine up out of the way if its just me and hubby sitting down to the table. If I have company, I remove it completely. I don't want anything spilled on it!!
My friend said she sprays her table runners with a fabric protection spray so the spills will wash away. May in Jersey
Old 12-10-2010, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Jeannette in NJ
Glad to hear so many of you use flannel, I do also. Was able to buy 10 yards of white at Joanne's on Black Friday. Hope that is enough for this year as I took the NO FABRIC pledge,

Jeannette in NJ, USA
Me too. On my To Do List for 2011 are several scrap quilts made only from my stash. A while ago I bought about 10 yards of muslin at 50% off and plan to use it as the background fabric for the quilts. That should keep me plenty busy in the new year. May in Jersey
Old 12-10-2010, 08:23 AM

Thanks so much for all these suggestions! I'd been using Warm and Natural because I didn't know about all these options.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:24 AM

What a great idea!
Originally Posted by May in Jersey
Originally Posted by Karyn
Originally Posted by miss_ticky2
I've just made one...I used insulbrite so it gives a bit of protection (I hope) for the table if it's used for hot dishes
I always fold mine up out of the way if its just me and hubby sitting down to the table. If I have company, I remove it completely. I don't want anything spilled on it!!
My friend said she sprays her table runners with a fabric protection spray so the spills will wash away. May in Jersey
Old 12-10-2010, 09:16 AM

my mom started using interfacing... we both got bolts of it when it was super cheap one day at joann's. I haven't tried it yet though.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:44 AM

Yes, I do. I am a traditionalist! If it isn't a puffy, it isn't a "quilt!!" :)
Old 12-10-2010, 11:04 AM

I use Warm and Natural because it is cotton. Sometimes, I will put a candle jar or a candle on a candle plate on the runner and feel safer with the cotton batting. I do like the feel of it.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by grma33
After buying a runner kit at Novi and inside was iron interfacing I now use this and love it.
Gale
I bought the same kit in Novi at the Sewing Expo. I have made several for different holidays. I agree, fusible interfacing is great.