Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you use fram or hoop to hand quilt? >

Do you use fram or hoop to hand quilt?

Do you use fram or hoop to hand quilt?

Old 10-17-2011, 04:54 AM

Interesting. I would have thought that those who use nothing would have been a slim minority. Didn't realize there were so many who didn't use a hoop or frame!
Old 10-17-2011, 04:58 AM

I don't use a hoop or frame , althought I have both. I found that it was most comfortable to either quilt towards me or to the left & I was moving the hoop too much or moving around the frame too much. Much easier for me to just baste 'the crap' out of the thing & have it on my lap.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:20 AM

I use hoop and frame. Most people want a little slack in the material in the hoop, but I find my stitches are smaller and more uniform if my material is tight whether it is in a hoop or a quilting frame.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:21 AM

I don't use a frame or hoop to hand quilt. Most people will get better results with one however. When I brought a quilt in to be assessed for insurance, several of the ladies were judges and only one could tell it wasn't done in a hoop, so you can get fairly skilled at it.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:48 AM

This is very interesting.I thought I HAD to quilt with a hoop or a frame,but am glad to find so many that don,t. I enjoy it so much more without the frame.I basted really well on my longarm and have not had any puckers "yet".By the way my 80 yr.old mother who hand quilts everything quilts on a pvc frame.She will have a cow when I tell her Iam not useing a frame.Thanks for all the help.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by jillaine
I have both an old-fashioned circular embroidery hoop (but large enough for quilts) and a standing circular quilt hoop. But I find that if I baste my quilts ala Sharon Shambers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhwNylePFAA), I don't need a hoop at all.

-- jillaine
I use Sharon Schamber's method as well. Except that I use much smaller herringbone stitches (an inch wide and an inch apart). There is no way that quilt sandwich is going to shift! Doesn't pucker, tuck or anything like that, either, it just doesn't have that much room to move.

The other day, the puppy grabbed my practice sandwich and ran off, shaking it like a wild thing. I got it back from her, a few spots of spit but no shifting of the layers. I'm not sure it would have survived playing tug with it but she did shake it thoroughly with no problems.

She's a bad, bad puppy and I love her passionately.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:27 PM

I have both and I do not like the frame Back posture is not good when using a frame. The hoop is easier to handle for me that is
Old 10-17-2011, 01:41 PM

I haven't hand quilted in a LOooong time, but I always used a hoop when I did. I tried using a floor frame but found it more difficult. :)
Old 10-17-2011, 01:46 PM

I make Dresden Plates. After stitching to background, I hand-quilt without a hoop. The tension- I keep the thread taut enough to look good when completed.
Stephanie
Old 10-17-2011, 02:39 PM

I don't use a hoop or frame....one little piece of advice...Throw out all the rules you have been given when it comes to quilting! Do what feels natural and comfortable to you and tell the quilt police to go polish their badges....LOL!